none
Windows Server 2012 - Test Domain Controller can ping Production Domain Controller

Question

• Greetings,

I have created a test environment on my network which includes a Windows 2012 domain controller. This DC has its own DNS server and forwards out using OpenDNS servers as forwarders. I did this to keep it from integrating or causing any issues with the production DC on the network. However, if I ping the production DC from the test DC using its computer name, I get a response. How can the DNS name resolve if I do not have any records in the test DNS server on the test DC server to the production server?

My plan is to put a test Exchange server online next but I want to be 100% sure these test servers will not change any settings or cause problems with the production servers. My other idea is to create ACL's on my switches to block any communication. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

Friday, November 23, 2012 9:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if we don't want test envirinment to have any connecttion with producation, we can make test envirinment have no network connection with producation, like you mentioned, set ACL's on switchs to block network communications or no route information between test and producation.

Best regards, Jason Mei Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by robb0413 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:12 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if we don't want test envirinment to have any connecttion with producation, we can make test envirinment have no network connection with producation, like you mentioned, set ACL's on switchs to block network communications or no route information between test and producation.

Best regards, Jason Mei Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by robb0413 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:12 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Thanks, I figured out it was the ip helper address on the vlan I was connected to. 
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:12 PM