Is multiple monitor support supposed to work on on VM guests?

Question

• I have VDI setup on 2008R2 lab environment with a pool of virtual desktops.  If I log into the physical host server both of my monitors are used, but if I log into one of the virtual servers running on the host server by remote desktop connections or remoteapp and desktop connections only one of my monitors is used.  On the session host server I have made sure that USE ALL CLIENT MONITORS WHEN CONNECTING TO A REMOTE DESKTOP is checked.  I did notice when you use the remoteapp connection there is not a place to say use multiple displays.  I am using windows 7 as my client PC to connect to the virtual desktops and the host server.  So my question is, How is it supposed to work?  Only on the server using remote desktop connection or should I be able to use multiple displays when I connect to a virtual server in a pool or assigned to a user via the remoteapp and desktop connections?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mark, multiple monitor RDP support is based heavily on the target than the client.  Meaning the machine you are rdping into must be Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7.  But also note that the client that you are rdping from must be using RDC 7.0.  XP w/SP3 and Vista can get RDC 7.0 with patches, Win7 of course has it naturally.  Only then will multi-mon work.  So if you're rdping from a Win7 client to a Windows 2003 Server, even if the server has RDC 7.0 installed, multi-mon will not work.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:47 PM
  • JamesB24,
    Thank you so much for clearing that up for me, this helps a lot.  Now if I have a windows 7 desktop running in VDI it should work, but for some odd reason it does not.  I am using my windows 7 laptop connecting to a virtual windows 7 desktop which does not use both displays, ony if I RDP into the 2008 server will it span across.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:43 PM
  • what version of windows 7 is the VDI?

Friday, March 12, 2010 2:29 AM
  • The Host Server is Windows Server 2008R2 Version 6.1 Build 7600
    The Session-HOST server is Windows Server 2008R2 Version 6.1 Build 7600
    The Two Virtual Desktops are Windows 7 Professional N
    The Client I am using to connect via remoteapp is Windows 7 Ultimate build 7600  

Friday, March 12, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Can you try putting Win7 Enterprise or Win7 Ultimate as the VD instead of Professional?

Friday, March 12, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I will try that today and get back with you.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Only Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate SKUs support multi-monitor feature

You can refer to this blog for more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2009/07/01/using-multiple-monitors-in-remote-desktop-session.aspx

Thanks

Rong
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Thanks guys I just tested this and ulimate works.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:08 PM