none
Attempt to Install Desktop Experience failed with Error Code 0x8000FFFF . Catastrophic Failure

Question

• Hi,

I wonder if anybody has any updates with regard to this error; 0x08000FFFF. I have the old problem of trying to reinstall Desktop Experience on Server 2008. I have followed the suggeted soloution and uninstalled KB 973540/968816/945155/972145 without success. The original thread is now quite old, are there any other updates I should uninstall?

Thanks for any pointers.....Marcus

Marcus B
    Monday, June 27, 2011 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Marcus,

Thank you for the reply.

I suggest performing an in-place upgrade of the system first.

To in-place upgrade of the system please insert a Windows Server 2008 disk and double-click setup.exe. Choose Upgrade and choose your current system edition. For example, if you are running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, please choose Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. Then it will install Windows Server 2008 Enterprise again over your current system and repair all system files.

Tim Quan

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

Please also delete KB2117917 and KB 974431. If the issue persists, you may need to perform an in-place upgrade of the system.

Tim Quan

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have also uninstalled KB2117917 however I can't find any trace of KB974431? No luck so far. What form of in-place upgrade would you suugest?

I also have one other, issue I don't know if the two are related. On opening some third party app's I have had a warning that WMASF.DLL is missing?

I have a more general question about DE; I use Server 2008 as a workstation/database for which up to now it has performed it's role faultlessly. The issue arose when I tried to add a sound card so I could listen to the odd webinar. I understood that the installation of DE was a prerequisite for any media related third party apps, is this actually the case?  Should I be able to install third party video/audio software without DE?

Thanks for your help, I'm pretty stuck at the moment with no end in sight!

Cheers....Marcus

Marcus B
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Hi Marcus,

Thank you for the reply.

I suggest performing an in-place upgrade of the system first.

To in-place upgrade of the system please insert a Windows Server 2008 disk and double-click setup.exe. Choose Upgrade and choose your current system edition. For example, if you are running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, please choose Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. Then it will install Windows Server 2008 Enterprise again over your current system and repair all system files.

Tim Quan

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Sorry for the long delay in replying I had to go away for a few weeeks.

When I attempted the in-place upgrade  I received the following message;

'Upgrade has been disabled;

The upgrade cannot be started. To upgrade , cancel the installation and choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are currently running.'

?

Cheers...Marcus

Marcus B
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:21 PM