none
Java 6 update 22 - deploy via Group Policy

Question

• I have already deployed Java 6 update 21 via Group Policy. This seemed to work quite well.

Now that Java 6 update 22 has been released, I would like to deploy this via GP over Java 6 update 21.

Has anyone here used GP to deploy Java (JRE not JDK)?

If so, do you simply create another distribution point with the new version and let Java take care off removing the previous version and installing the new one or...

Do you use the Software Deployment Upgrade option in the Software Deployment Package settings (designate the package that is to be upgraded)???

------------------------------

Lastly, could someone confirm (or not) that it is necessary to stop the Java Quick Starter service before upgrading?

I do not see that service running on my machine, for example, so it may not be an issue.

This link seems to suggest that it may be necessary to disable it:

http://wpkg.org/Java

If so, where would I place this code to disable Java Quick Starter:

<install cmd='net STOP JavaQuickStarterService' >
      <exit code='2' />
     </install>

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hello,

if you change the .msi on the network drive to the new version and choose redeploy on the Java GPO it should update the current installation. Create it in a lab or use a test OU with test machine to be sure.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

if you change the .msi on the network drive to the new version and choose redeploy on the Java GPO it should update the current installation. Create it in a lab or use a test OU with test machine to be sure.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Hello Le Pivert,

I suggest you remove the old version first, and then deploy new Java by software installation. The following might be helpful to you for deploying Java. Test always in non-production environment.

How do I deploy Java using Active Directory across a network ?
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000011100.xml

Use Group Policy to Distribute JRE With Its Automatic Update Feature Disabled
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/java/use-group-policy-to-distribute-jre-with-its-automatic-update-feature-disabled.aspx

Deploying Java through Group Policy and Java RE Improvements
    http://www.404techsupport.com/2009/01/16/deploying-java-through-group-policy-and-java-re-improvements/

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Thank you both.

I will try Meinholf's suggestion first, however, since, if it works, it would avoid me having to uninstall Java on 100 + computers first.

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:07 PM
  • It looks like Java 6 update 21 has not been installed on all the computers yet, since some have apparently not been restarted since I deployed the associated software deploy package. I'm taking care of that right now.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hello LePivert,

When logon optimization is on, a user may need to log on to a computer twice before software installation policies are applied. This is because application of these types of policies require the synchronous policy application. 

Description of the Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293

Software Installation changes do not apply after logon
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782893(WS.10).aspx 

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:32 AM
  • From experience, I would strongly recommend using GP to disable the JQS Service BEFORE attempting an upgrade of the JRE.  We had about half of our 150 machines basically lock up when trying to apply the Java Update.  From searching through other forums, it seems to be because it is waiting for the JQS Service to stop, so it can update those files.  The machine wasn't technically frozen, it was just waiting and waiting and required a remote JQS Service stop to get going again.  Once the JQS was disabled via GP, the Java upgrade assignment ran smoothly on all machines.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:29 PM
  • First of all, I'm going around (don't have SCCM, etc.) and looking to see if Java 6 update 21 was installed via GPO before seeing if I can install update 22 over it.

Second, commenting the suggestion of Ocean_size, I have read about JQS elsewhere but I do not see it running on the computers I've checked. This is the output (edited) of one computer (PowerShell Get-Service cmdlet). Wouldn't Java Quicker Starter be running under it's name? At any rate, I cannot find it anywhere in the resulting service list.

Name        : IBMPMSVC
    DisplayName : ThinkPad PM Service

Name        : idsvc
    DisplayName : Windows CardSpace

Name        : IKEEXT
    DisplayName : IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules

Name        : IPBusEnum
    DisplayName : PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator

Name        : iphlpsvc
    DisplayName : IP Helper

Name        : KeyIso
    DisplayName : CNG Key Isolation

Name        : KtmRm
    DisplayName : KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Name        : LanmanServer
    DisplayName : Server

Name        : LanmanWorkstation
    DisplayName : Workstation

Name        : lltdsvc
    DisplayName : Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper

Name        : lmhosts
    DisplayName : TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Name        : MMCSS 

Friday, November 19, 2010 6:22 PM
  • OK - I finally found the time to sort this out.

I more or less did what Meinolf Weber suggested.

I could not simply copy the Java 6 Update 22 content into the folder containing the Update 21 files (.msi and .cab) because the name of the file was different (and this name was referenced in the properties of the deployment package).

I thought of renaming the file but opted to remove the package and recreate it, designating instead the .msi and .cab files in the Update 22 folder.

When removing the previous package, I made sure to check the option about leaving previous Java installations already installed.

I then used the "Redeploy Package" option.

I first tried this on a set of Windows 2000 (our last ones) and Windows XP SP3 clients.

Deployment was successful.

The installer uninstalled Update 21 and installed Update 22.

Only Java 6 Update 22 was present in "Add and Remove Programs".

This was the case despite my checking the option to leave previous Java installations installed.

Event Viewer contained no warning or error messages.

I could access web pages using Java as a standard user without any problems.

I do observe that, although the installer can uninstall RECENT previous versions of Java (Update 20 or 21), it cannot uninstall older versions such as Java 5 Update x or even Java 6 Update 7.

I uninstalled these manually, as recommended by Oracle / Java for security reasons.

This method also worked on a Windows 7 client.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Lastly, I did not bother with JQS which, as I noted above, does not seem to be running on the machines I manage.

The update was successful nonetheless.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:31 PM
  • I had an awful time with that service! When Java would upgrade, it would still leave some registry entries and would cause the next upgrade to fail! I had to use Group Policy Preferences to fix the issue. The documentation is here:

http://deployhappiness.com/updating-software-with-group-policy/

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: DeployHappiness. Subscribe by RSS or email. 

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:47 PM