none
Hyper-V Network. How does it use a normal 100mbps line to transfer data for 4 machines?

Question

•  Hi,

Hyper-V Network. How does it use a normal 100mbps line to transfer data for 4 machines?

I have 3 Vm's inside windows 2008 that has Hyper-V enabled. Now say 10 users are connected to these 3 vm's that are inside windows 2008 box. How does the network bandwidth split.
    First come first serve.

Where can i check how many are connected in all the machines and how much bandwidth is being utilized

Regards
    Sharath
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Sharath,

Would you please describe the scenario in detail and let me know what exactly do you mean by the words "First come first serve"? And, please also let me know what do you mean by the sentence "Where can I check how many are connected in all the machines".

It is of course that, the first packet that reaches the physical adapter will be received and handled first. However, to users who log on to the domain or log onto the VMs by using Remote Desktop Connection, they will feel they are logging on simultaneously.

Regarding the question "how much bandwidth is being utilized", if you mean the physical adapter, you can use the Hyper-V Virtual Network Adapter object of the Reliability and Performance Monitor. Add then select the physical network adapter instance and the counters, you may then monitor the utilization of the selected object.

Besides, I would suggest that you post the Hyper-V related questions to our Hyper-V forum as people there have better knowledge on this:

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Sharathree Monday, July 21, 2008 5:02 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2008 1:29 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Sharath,

Would you please describe the scenario in detail and let me know what exactly do you mean by the words "First come first serve"? And, please also let me know what do you mean by the sentence "Where can I check how many are connected in all the machines".

It is of course that, the first packet that reaches the physical adapter will be received and handled first. However, to users who log on to the domain or log onto the VMs by using Remote Desktop Connection, they will feel they are logging on simultaneously.

Regarding the question "how much bandwidth is being utilized", if you mean the physical adapter, you can use the Hyper-V Virtual Network Adapter object of the Reliability and Performance Monitor. Add then select the physical network adapter instance and the counters, you may then monitor the utilization of the selected object.

Besides, I would suggest that you post the Hyper-V related questions to our Hyper-V forum as people there have better knowledge on this:

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Sharathree Monday, July 21, 2008 5:02 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Thanks...

You answered my question..I got it... :-)
    Monday, July 21, 2008 5:02 PM