none
Using RDP (terminal services) in SBS 2011

Question

• i have a small business accounting application which is designed to run in an RDP type of environment (programs and data reside on single server, user's pcs access either internally(eithernet) or externally(via internet) using an RDP connection.  does the new SBS 2011 allow for this?   if so, which version and want if any additional CAL's will be needed so i can get a handle on the entire cost..

if SBS 2011 still limits this type of client access via RDP, which version of the latest MS server os offerings is the least expensive and again, which additional CAL's must i purchase..

thanks

bob

Monday, February 07, 2011 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you would need to buy SBS 2011 Premium Add-On. The way it works is - you will get a license of another Windows 2008 R2 Standard edition. On that you can install fully functioning RDS Host. You will also need to buy RDS CAL for the users - one per each named user or per device what ever works best for you. With pure SBS 2011 Standard it is not possible to server the clients in Application mode which is what you need.

http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/editions-overview.aspx

Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on

Get access to the latest technologies

Turn mountains of facts and figures into comprehensive insights that drive key business decisions. The Windows Small Business Server Premium Add-on enables you to query, search, report, and analyze important business data or run business applications from a centralized database so that all employees can easily work from the same information. Moving to an add-on model which will be available for both editions, offers more choices to customers who want the flexibility to purchase an additional server either up front or as needed.

• Windows Small Business Server solutions provides the ideal platform for your small business - offering a secure, reliable and affordable solution that can easily scale to deliver the technologies that you need as you grow your business.  It contains Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and SQL Server 2008 R2 for Small Business at a convenient price for Small Business.  With full access to all the Windows Server technologies that Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition offers, the Premium Add-on makes it ideal for: Line-of-business (LOB) applications

• Remote Desktop Services Application Mode Services

• Additional domain controller

• Virtualization Services with Hyper-V

• Other Standalone Uses

Virtualization Conference “PubForum 2011 Dublin”, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! , Microsoft Virtualization Solutions Day Dublin!
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you would need to buy SBS 2011 Premium Add-On. The way it works is - you will get a license of another Windows 2008 R2 Standard edition. On that you can install fully functioning RDS Host. You will also need to buy RDS CAL for the users - one per each named user or per device what ever works best for you. With pure SBS 2011 Standard it is not possible to server the clients in Application mode which is what you need.

http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/editions-overview.aspx

Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on

Get access to the latest technologies

Turn mountains of facts and figures into comprehensive insights that drive key business decisions. The Windows Small Business Server Premium Add-on enables you to query, search, report, and analyze important business data or run business applications from a centralized database so that all employees can easily work from the same information. Moving to an add-on model which will be available for both editions, offers more choices to customers who want the flexibility to purchase an additional server either up front or as needed.

• Windows Small Business Server solutions provides the ideal platform for your small business - offering a secure, reliable and affordable solution that can easily scale to deliver the technologies that you need as you grow your business.  It contains Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and SQL Server 2008 R2 for Small Business at a convenient price for Small Business.  With full access to all the Windows Server technologies that Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition offers, the Premium Add-on makes it ideal for: Line-of-business (LOB) applications

• Remote Desktop Services Application Mode Services

• Additional domain controller

• Virtualization Services with Hyper-V

• Other Standalone Uses

Virtualization Conference “PubForum 2011 Dublin”, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! , Microsoft Virtualization Solutions Day Dublin!
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 8:12 AM
  • You can also use a Windows Server member server as well in your SBS 2011 Standard environment.  You will need to ensure you are fully licensed for both RDP CALs.
    This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Lancelot3777 Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lancelot3777 Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:15 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:48 AM
  • Alex,

Hello, fellow tech guy.  Let's say I purchase 2011 Premium and another license of 2008 R2.  I would then have one SBS license and two 2008 R2 licenses.  Can I make one of the 2008 R2 licenses a Terminal Server as a member server and the second 2008 R2 license a Domain Controller?

Thank you for answer ahead of time.  I'm crafting up a proposal for an idea I have.

Lance

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Oh I guess I should say Alex or Michael for my question above.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:01 AM
  • SBS is always domain controller..
    Monday, June 27, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Lance -

From my own personal experience, SBS is designed as the one and only DC in its environment.  you may have more servers, but they will need to be memeber servers.  You may not have two SBS servers in the same domain as SBS assumes it will have all the Domain Master Roles as well as the only copy of AD.   Those of a couple of the 'features' Microsoft built in to the limitations of the SBS product.

Good Luck!! 

Kurt

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Lance -

From my own personal experience, SBS is designed as the one and only DC in its environment.  you may have more servers, but they will need to be memeber servers.  You may not have two SBS servers in the same domain as SBS assumes it will have all the Domain Master Roles as well as the only copy of AD.   Those of a couple of the 'features' Microsoft built in to the limitations of the SBS product.

Good Luck!! 

Kurt

Without wanting to disagree (ie, I disagree), you can have as many domain controllers as you want - just not all of them have master roles. I have many setups with SBS2003, 2008 and 2011 which have 2003/2008 servers acting as (what used to be called) backup controllers, doing replication etc. It's just that you can't have more than one SBS server. Just set up the additional server(s), join the domain, promote to DC, and wait for replication. Instant copy of AD, plus if you add in DFS, you can copy your data too.

But, to reiterate what's already been said, don't make SBS into a terminal server (I've seen it done) - it's not only "not supported", it's a bad idea to have anyone but responsible administrators accessing console sessions on a domain controller. Stick in a plain member server for that.

Cheers

Rufus

Friday, March 02, 2012 5:32 PM
  • That's silly!  I have at least three SBS 2011 Standard servers on which I run RDS for upward of 20 users each. I do not use the Premium Add-on. The configuration works very successfully. I find no differences between the RDS on the SBS 2011 Standard and the "fully functional" RDS host of the Premium add-on.   

Al

Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

you would need to buy SBS 2011 Premium Add-On. The way it works is - you will get a license of another Windows 2008 R2 Standard edition. On that you can install fully functioning RDS Host.

Let me sum up, illuminating a very important moment:

Can i install terminal server role on a physical server with a R2 (witch is from the premium add-on) ? Or i only can install hyper-v on a physical machine and terminal server role ,ust be installed in a virtual server ?

Another words - do i have fully funcional R2 (in a premium add-on) ?

I mean:

licences that i have

Win SBS Std/Essentials 2011 MAK            MAK
    Windows Server 2008R2 Std/Ent - MAK B    MAK

Can i install R2 on a physical server and install an RDP role on it ?

I have an R2 on a physical, and SBS in Virtual (disk2vhd), but the target is to have an RDP server.

Thank you.
    • Edited by emoxam Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:51 AM
    Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:48 AM
  • The best approach is to buy SBS2011 and a separate svr 2008R2 licence.  SBS Premium addon is much more expensive as you get SQL server as well.

You can either install SBS on one server and 2008R2 and RDS role on a second server or, if you don't need fax, you could install HyperV on a single server, and install SBS as one guest and 2008R2 with RDS as a second guest.  This means you only need one physical server (but a powerful one) with multiple NICs.

You still need to buy RDS CALs whichever system you use.

We do a lot with virtual servers but in this situation , we usually go with two physical servers so that SBS has full functionality (comms port & USB are not easily suported in a virtual machine guest)

Note that oem licences are not supported in Virtual Machines

Ivor Shepcar

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:27 AM
  • I received a reply from MS, they tell me that i don't need to make a additional VM for Terminal Server role. I can install thgis role on a physical server. That all i want to know.

Thank you

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:40 AM
  • I would love to know you did that.

I got the cals installed but it won't let me configure the Licensing mode.

Hall

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Hello Al, 

Your setup is exactly what i am trying to do, I am pretty new to the tech game and it is hard to decipher all the possibilities, but your setup is what i am looking for. Can you offer some guidance on how to get the RDS running on SBS 2011 Standard. Thanks in Advance

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:07 AM
  • 1. do image with disk2vhd

2. reinstall host system to windows server r2 standard

3. install hyper v on newly installed server

4. make a virtual machine and import vhd that tou did on first step

join host OS to SBS domain and install RDP services role on host OS (witch one is R2)

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:16 AM