none
Post Metadata cleanup

Question

• Domain info:

MS Server 2008 R2

Domain members are XP/Win7/Server 2003/Server 2008 R2

I had a Forest domain.com with 4 child domains that we will call child1.domain.com, etc all pointing to the same parent.

We condensed these down to a single domain in order to eliminate the child domains. Now all we have is domain.com. child2.domain.com was shutdown and reloaded improperly and required metadata cleanup to eliminate the old data. This was completed successfully. We only want the domain.com to exist

Current status is:

Active Directory Domains and Trusts shows ONLY domain.com

Active Directory Sites and Services shows ONLY domain.com

Active Directory Users and Computers shows ONLY domain.com

DNS shows ONLY pointers and records for domain.com

Problem

When I go to edit a folder and add permissions to a folder or file and the normal box shows up and I hit the "locations" button, I still see child2.domain.com and and older forest that existed before I worked here. If I try to expand child2.domain.com it lets me but there is nothing in there. Same thing for that ancient single domain forest. These are orphaned objects and need to be removed. When I open metadata cleanup I can only see 1 domain, 1 naming context, and 1 site just like the GUI shows. I want this to populate over to  this selection screen. Also of note my XP machines still show these old domains as well on the logon screen. We are NOT running WINS of any kind.

Help? Thoughts?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:50 PM

Answers

• There are few areas you need to clear for orphaned DC/Domains.

1. You can NTDSUTIL for cleaning up the orphan DC and Domain

DC

http://awinish.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/metadata-cleanup-of-a-domain-controller/

Domain

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230306

2. Also run the below dsquery & compare the list

>>dsquery * "CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=com" -filter "(&(objectClass=crossRef)(objectCategory=crossRef)(systemFlags=5))" -attr NcName msDS-NC-Replica-Locations

>>dsquery * DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=contoso,DC=com -scope base -attr msDs-masteredBy >> domaindnszones-DCs.txt
    >>dsquery * DC=fomainDnsZones,DC=contoso,DC=com -scope base -attr msDs-masteredBy >> forestdnszones-DCs.txt

For Trust

nltest /domain_trusts

Regards
    Biswajit Biswas

My Blogs|MCC|TNWiki Ninja

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Was able to remove that ancient forest with:

To undo the trust that USA-Chicago has for Northamerica, type the following at the command prompt:

netdom trust /d:Northamerica USA-Chicago /remove

Was also able to remove the 2 way trust with the old child objects by:

To break a two-way trust relationship, type the following at the command prompt:

netdom trust /d:marketing.example.com Engineering.example.com /remove /twoway /Uo:admin@engineering.example.com /Ud:admin@marketing.example.com

Also of note I had to use /force flags since the domains no longer exist

Thanks Cicely for moving me down the correct path on this one!!!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Per the problem, please check the followings,
    1. Is the AD replication between domain controllers OK in your environment?
    2. The old domains' meta data had been removed completely from env as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230306
    3. Make sure all TDOs related to those child domains are completely removed from the root domain as below,
        a. use Adsiedit.msc to open up the root domain partition
        b. Expand CN=System,DC=domain,DC=com, check if there are any objects named as CN=childx.domain.com under this container, if yes, delete them manually.
        c. Expand CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com, check if there are any objects named as childx$ under this container, if yes, delete them manually.

For more information about TDO, please read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773178(WS.10).aspx

Regards,
    Cicely

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

1. Replication in domain.com is fine

2. As stated in original post no metadata remains of the old domains (in paragraph under "Problem")

3 Adsiedit tasks were completed previously and I verified only domain.com remains.

Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:32 AM
  • There are few areas you need to clear for orphaned DC/Domains.

1. You can NTDSUTIL for cleaning up the orphan DC and Domain

DC

http://awinish.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/metadata-cleanup-of-a-domain-controller/

Domain

2. Also run the below dsquery & compare the list

>>dsquery * "CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=com" -filter "(&(objectClass=crossRef)(objectCategory=crossRef)(systemFlags=5))" -attr NcName msDS-NC-Replica-Locations

>>dsquery * DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=contoso,DC=com -scope base -attr msDs-masteredBy >> domaindnszones-DCs.txt
    >>dsquery * DC=fomainDnsZones,DC=contoso,DC=com -scope base -attr msDs-masteredBy >> forestdnszones-DCs.txt

For Trust

nltest /domain_trusts

Regards
    Biswajit Biswas

My Blogs|MCC|TNWiki Ninja

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:45 AM
  • 1 I did run ntdsutil...which was the metadata cleanup that I spoke of.

2 The only thing that shows is domain.com and associated naming contexts etc

Please read my entire post before submitting a reply.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:50 AM
  • For Item 3, there should not be any TDO named domain.com, I don't know if you checked the correct container. as you mentioned, there is only one domain and one site as GUI shows, do you also mean you only could see one domain in domain.msc tool? The domain list in logon screen is built from the trust domain list, that's why I would like to double confirm this with you. If you pretty sure all TDOs were removed previously, I would suggest you to contact PSS for support, you may be required to capture a iDNA trace during the problem for them to debug.

Regards,
    Cicely
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Just got to work. (updating)

query1 returns fine with only expected results

query2 returns fine with only expected results

query3 returns fine with only expected results

nltest domain_trusts does indeed show the domains I need to get rid of. How do I destroy these trusts that are displayed?

Thanks for the help! We found it, but now how do I destroy those trusts?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:59 PM
  • I am looking at the netdom command now...I think this might be it
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Was able to remove that ancient forest with:

To undo the trust that USA-Chicago has for Northamerica, type the following at the command prompt:

netdom trust /d:Northamerica USA-Chicago /remove

Was also able to remove the 2 way trust with the old child objects by:

To break a two-way trust relationship, type the following at the command prompt:

netdom trust /d:marketing.example.com Engineering.example.com /remove /twoway /Uo:admin@engineering.example.com /Ud:admin@marketing.example.com

Also of note I had to use /force flags since the domains no longer exist

Thanks Cicely for moving me down the correct path on this one!!!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Domain meta data cleanup

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:42 PM