none
Windows 7 Shut down and install updates or just Shutdown

Question

• Guys,

This issue has been driving me nuts since ive tried everything.

Im running WSUS 3.0 on a 2k8 VM server.  Im managing the clients via GPO.  All is working well apart from the following:

I want to give the users the option to:

Shutdown or Shutdown and install updates.

Ive messed around with the two GPOs Do Not display shut down and install updates option, and the other display as default option.

None of that makes a difference, however as above everything else is working fine in terms of user notifications etc.  

Im using option 4 if that makes a difference.

Can someone please tell me how I can give my users the option to either shutdown and install updates or just shutdown.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:09 PM

Answers

• I want to give the users the option to:

This is the default behavior of the Windows Update Agent. No additional configuration is required.
    Ive messed around with the two GPOs Do Not display shut down and install updates option, and the other display as default option.

None of that makes a difference

Perhaps you could expand on what you mean by it doesn't make a difference?

I suspect the issue here may be that you're setting the policies to ENABLED, but failing to note that the policy is written in the negative. When you enable a policy that says "Do not...", then you are, in effect, removing the capability from the system.

From the GPO setting description:

This policy setting allows you to manage whether the 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option is displayed in the Shut Down Windows dialog box. If you enable this policy setting, 'Install Updates and Shut Down' will not appear as a choice in the Shut Down Windows dialog box, even if updates are available for installation when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, the 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option will be available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu.

These policy settings are also documented in the WSUS Deployment Guide in the section Configure Automatic Updates Using Group Policy

Do not display “Install Updates and Shut Down” option in Shut Down Windows dialog box

Allows you to manage whether the “Install Updates and Shut Down” option is displayed in the Shut Down Windows dialog box. You can set this option in the Computer Configuration and User Configuration areas of GPMC. The available setting options offer the following results:

Option Result

Enabled

“Install Updates and Shut Down” does not appear in the Shut Down Windows dialog box, even if updates are available for installation when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu.

Disabled

The “Install Updates and Shut Down” option is available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu.

Not Configured

The “Install Updates and Shut Down” option is available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu. A local administrator can change this setting by using local policy.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

I want to give the users the option to:Shutdown or Shutdown and install updates.

Disable "Do not display “Install Updates and Shut Down” option in Shut Down Windows dialog box" setting on GPO to take this setting unchangeable on the client side.

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:17 AM

All replies

• I want to give the users the option to:

This is the default behavior of the Windows Update Agent. No additional configuration is required.

None of that makes a difference

Perhaps you could expand on what you mean by it doesn't make a difference?

I suspect the issue here may be that you're setting the policies to ENABLED, but failing to note that the policy is written in the negative. When you enable a policy that says "Do not...", then you are, in effect, removing the capability from the system.

From the GPO setting description:

This policy setting allows you to manage whether the 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option is displayed in the Shut Down Windows dialog box. If you enable this policy setting, 'Install Updates and Shut Down' will not appear as a choice in the Shut Down Windows dialog box, even if updates are available for installation when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, the 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option will be available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu.

These policy settings are also documented in the WSUS Deployment Guide in the section Configure Automatic Updates Using Group Policy

Do not display “Install Updates and Shut Down” option in Shut Down Windows dialog box

Allows you to manage whether the “Install Updates and Shut Down” option is displayed in the Shut Down Windows dialog box. You can set this option in the Computer Configuration and User Configuration areas of GPMC. The available setting options offer the following results:

Option Result

Enabled

“Install Updates and Shut Down” does not appear in the Shut Down Windows dialog box, even if updates are available for installation when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu.

Disabled

The “Install Updates and Shut Down” option is available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu.

Not Configured

The “Install Updates and Shut Down” option is available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu. A local administrator can change this setting by using local policy.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

I want to give the users the option to:Shutdown or Shutdown and install updates.

Disable "Do not display “Install Updates and Shut Down” option in Shut Down Windows dialog box" setting on GPO to take this setting unchangeable on the client side.

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Thanks Guys

I have disabled the following GPOs:

DO not display Install Updates and Shut Down Option......

Do Not Adjust Default Option to Install Updates.......

GPOs have been applied to the client.

The issue is that as per the screen shot attached, im simply not getting the option to either:

Install Updates and shutdown

or

Shut Down

As you can see from the screen shot I can shut down as normally, but from the little symbol on the shutdown button this indicates that it will install the updates on shutdown.

Interestingly, also if I hit Alt Control and Del, and expand the shutdown menu from there, I get the shutdown and install updates option.

Please advise

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Sorry forgot to attach the image :)
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Sorry forgot to attach the image :)

As noted, the Shutdown (Only) option is missing from the menu. This is not your policy at work, it's a change made by the Windows program group in the UI. The Windows people have actually usurped functionality from the policy setting that is supposed to be OPTIONAL, and taken that away from the user by not putting the Shutdown (Only) option on the context menu (like it was in previous versions of Windows -- and still is on the Server versions).

The only way to not install updates at shutdown is to run the shutdown command from a command prompt via shutdown /s /t 0.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Alternatively, "Alt+F4" are also a good option. "shutdown" and "shutdown and install" will appear in the drop-down menu.

Best regards,

Clarence

• Proposed as answer by oloszy Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:01 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:23 AM