none
Regarding TS RemoteApp

Question

• Hi All,

Office (as are all Microsoft Desktop Applications) is licensed per “Device”. RDS technology makes it possible for Office to be shared out to multiple Devices. Therefore a license must be applied to each Device that the end user will interact with the software.

As discussed with the client requirement ,we need to install Microsoft Dynamics Ax 2009 on Server.. Now we have a common landing page(Web base application) having shortcut of Dynamics Ax, I am having 50 users, those will access the Dynamics Ax without installation of Microsoft Dynamics Ax on local system.

How do I determine what CALs I need for Remote Desktop Services in my scenario?

Note: Dynamics Ax is installed only on one system(Server side client and AOS)

Thanks and Regards,

Deepak Kalra

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Deepak

So if I read this right you're trying to determine the CAL's you need for the Remote Desktop Services requirements. I would have said either 50 users or however many devices you have, which ever is smaller?

I'm no good on the Application licensing side of things, ie Office etc but my understanding of the server side CAL stuff is that you will need a windows user cal for each user on your domain and then a remote desktop cal for each user or device connecting depending on your licensing model.

I take it also that the common landing page with a shortcut is actually providing a RemoteApp of Dynamics Ax

Cheers

Dan.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Vatechguy,

I have  asked the question related to TS Remote App(Remote Desktop Services) In built feature of Microsoft Server 2008 R2.There is two type of license one is terminal server and second is client(CAL's License).

How do I determine what CALs I need for Remote Desktop Services in my scenario?

I am not asking about about Ax licesning ,earlier i have mentioned in above mail that i am having license of 50 users of dynamics Ax.

Please read the question again.I suggest dont give answer in hurry in future.

Thanks and Regards,

Deepak Kalra
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Hi Deepak

So if I read this right you're trying to determine the CAL's you need for the Remote Desktop Services requirements. I would have said either 50 users or however many devices you have, which ever is smaller?

I'm no good on the Application licensing side of things, ie Office etc but my understanding of the server side CAL stuff is that you will need a windows user cal for each user on your domain and then a remote desktop cal for each user or device connecting depending on your licensing model.

I take it also that the common landing page with a shortcut is actually providing a RemoteApp of Dynamics Ax

Cheers

Dan.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:13 PM