none
Server 2012 - Unable to Printer from any printer - No Errors

Question

• Hello,

I've been reading quite a bit about Server 2012 and the printing advantages it has.  I am currently in the process of upgrading servers and have 2012 licensing so I figured I'd give it a try and see how it goes.  Unfortunately out of 3 printers that I have tested so far not a one of them will print!  The job leaves the queue and acts like it prints but the printer does nothing.  I've tried it from the Server directly and also from a client just to see.  I've tried changing drivers but no luck.  I've tested an HP 4240, Sharp 620i, and Kyocera KM2560 printer all will no luck.  There are no errors on the server I tried rebooting just to be safe, verified updates were all ran, but still nothing.  Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do for this?  Otherwise I'm falling back to 2008 R2.

Thanks in Advance,

Greg

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:55 PM

Answers

• I guess I didn't go far enough.  I just gave full rights to "system32/spools" and bingo printers are working.  Any idea on why this would happen?  Also are their any potential security risks I should be worried about with this.  The server is setup to be a DC does that maybe lock down the functionality more in 2012 Server?  In the forum that I found that suggested changing this setting it was for 2008 R2 but I've never had an issue like this in 2008 R2 also all the forums the people seemed to be having issues with this in a Terminal Server environment which this is not.

Just looking for ideas of what causes this it was a fresh install added as a DC and then print services was added.

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Yes the DCPromo feature resets the ACLs on the \spool\printers folder so the printfilterpipelinesvc.exe process cannot create tmp files at that location. 

If you change the ACLs for the folder to be the same as 2012 that's not a DC, you will have the proper configuration.  I'll find out if there was ever a KnowledgeBase article for this.  I do know that performing a DC demotion does not reset the ACLS on the folder so you have to reset security when repurposing servers.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:16 PM
    Answerer
  • You will experience the same on 2008 R2 when using XPS print drivers.  These drivers also use the printfilterpipelinesvc.exe to perform the rendering tasks.   All V4 drivers use this process so you will see this more now that only V4 drivers are provided on 2012.

If you have a support path other than this forum, request a hotfix.  You are not the only CUSTOMER that has hit this issue but no one has requested a QFE. 

I suppose the workaround is straight forward enough and big companies will no be multipurposing DCs as print servers. 

Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:06 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Alright, so not being very smart here today.  I'm so use to a device error or some sort with Printers.... I do get an Error in the Event log.  Event ID 372: The document Print Document, owned by userid, failed to print on printer HP LaserJet 4240 PCL6 Class Driver. Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler. 
    Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 193819. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\Server. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5. Access is denied.

I've found a few things that mention giving the "system32/spools/printers" directory write permissions but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Still searching on this right now.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:47 PM
  • I guess I didn't go far enough.  I just gave full rights to "system32/spools" and bingo printers are working.  Any idea on why this would happen?  Also are their any potential security risks I should be worried about with this.  The server is setup to be a DC does that maybe lock down the functionality more in 2012 Server?  In the forum that I found that suggested changing this setting it was for 2008 R2 but I've never had an issue like this in 2008 R2 also all the forums the people seemed to be having issues with this in a Terminal Server environment which this is not.

Just looking for ideas of what causes this it was a fresh install added as a DC and then print services was added.

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Yes the DCPromo feature resets the ACLs on the \spool\printers folder so the printfilterpipelinesvc.exe process cannot create tmp files at that location. 

If you change the ACLs for the folder to be the same as 2012 that's not a DC, you will have the proper configuration.  I'll find out if there was ever a KnowledgeBase article for this.  I do know that performing a DC demotion does not reset the ACLS on the folder so you have to reset security when repurposing servers.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Alright so basically the whole reason why they say a DC should just be a DC!  Great!  I'm surprised I've never run into this before as it appears this was possibly an issue on Server 2008 R2 also but I've down numerous small business installs that I've used DC, Print Services, etc.  Well at this this is good to know for the future.  Thanks for the update
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:07 AM
  • You will experience the same on 2008 R2 when using XPS print drivers.  These drivers also use the printfilterpipelinesvc.exe to perform the rendering tasks.   All V4 drivers use this process so you will see this more now that only V4 drivers are provided on 2012.

If you have a support path other than this forum, request a hotfix.  You are not the only CUSTOMER that has hit this issue but no one has requested a QFE. 

I suppose the workaround is straight forward enough and big companies will no be multipurposing DCs as print servers. 

Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:06 AM
    Answerer