none
Guide for setting up Windows 2008 as a NAS

Question

• I would like to use a Windoes 2008 server as a NAS.  I see there is a storage server offering with "features" bundeled, but I am not sure what I am paying for there.  To get my feet wet, I though I would roll out a server and create Shares that my linux servers could mount (and share), but without setting up unix services for windows, the linux security does not seem to work right.  The shares are exported only to specific hosts and are mounted as anonymous.  If one user tries to create a file, the permissions look correct as far as owner (UID/GID) go and file may have 755 permission.  But another user can remove the file.  What gives?
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would like to use a Windoes 2008 server as a NAS.  I see there is a storage server offering with "features" bundeled, but I am not sure what I am paying for there.  To get my feet wet, I though I would roll out a server and create Shares that my linux servers could mount (and share), but without setting up unix services for windows, the linux security does not seem to work right.  The shares are exported only to specific hosts and are mounted as anonymous.  If one user tries to create a file, the permissions look correct as far as owner (UID/GID) go and file may have 755 permission.  But another user can remove the file.  What gives?

What type of NAS shares are you exporting? NFS Vs. SAN/CIFS?

-nismo

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

Please provide details about your environment.

By the way, Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 is built on the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system to provide a platform for network-attached storage (NAS) appliances and is optimized to deliver a better file serving experience. You may need a Windows Storage Server. For more information, you can refer to:

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:26 AM