none
How to use dcpromo /UseExistingAccount:Attach on a core, error regarding answer file

Question

• Hi,

I´m doing it wrong I guess but as I understood I could prestage an RODC core install in Active Directory which I did so now I see the Computer name under the Domain Controllers OU.

On the core server I run the command, dcpromo /UseExistingAccount:Attach as local Administrator since I guess I should not join it to the domain or? Anyway, I get the message back saying "An answer file or unattended installation command-line parameters must be specified.

If I still need an answer file why not skip the prestage and do it via answer file directly?

Regards

Johan

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To attach a server to an RODC account by entering unattended installation parameters at the command line:

1.    At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

dcpromo /unattend /UseExistingAccount:Attach /ReplicaDomainDNSName:<FullyQualifiedDomainName> /UserDomain:<FullyQualifiedDomainName> /UserName:<DomainName>\<UserName> /password:* /<unattendOption>:<value> /<unattendOption>:<value> ...

Where:

l  <FullyQualifiedDomainName> is the FQDN of the domain where you are installing the RODC. For /UserDomain, enter the domain name for the user name (that is, account credentials) that will be used to install a domain controller.

l  <DomainName>\<UserName> is the account credentials of the user with the rights to attach the server to the RODC account, in the Windows NT format.

l  <unattendOption> is an option in the UseExistingAccount Operation (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=122102) table. Separate each <option>:<value> pair with a space.

l  <value> is the configuration instruction for the option.

The following example attaches a server to an RODC account in the contoso.com domain with additional installation options, using the domain credentials of the contoso\da1 account:

dcpromo /unattend /UseExistingAccount:Attach /ReplicaDomainDNSName: contoso.com /UserDomain:contoso.com /UserName:contoso\da1 /password:* /databasePath:"e:\Windows\ntds" /logPath:"e:\Windows\ntds" /sysvolpath:"e:\Windows\sysvol" /safeModeAdminPassword:FH#3573.cK /rebootOnCompletion:yes

2. When you finish typing all the options that are required to create the RODC account, press ENTER.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Performing a Staged RODC Installation by Using the Command Line

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd391945(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by JohanHan Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:01 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the link!!

I tried the command and it would have worked if I only had one domain,

I ran this command:

dcpromo /unattend /UseExistingAccount:Attach /ReplicaDomainDNSName:domain2.dom.com /UserDomain:domain2.dom.com /UserName:domain2\adminname /password:pass /databasePath:"C:\Windows\NTDS" /logPath:"C:\Windows\NTDS" /sysvolpath:"C:\Windows\SYSVOL" /safeModeAdminPassword:pass /rebootOnCompletion:yes

By running the above command it looks after an object in the topdomain and not domain2
    Error message below:

Dcpromo was unable to locate an account named "domserver2" in the forest name "domain1.dom.com". To make this server a read-only domain controller (RODC), you must first create an account for it in the domain.
    Regards
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:14 AM