none
Task Scheduler Policy question

Question

• This is strange.  I am developing a system to audit PC's directly to an SQL database and one of the peices of information we want to gather is who is logging into what machine.  I wrote a number of scripts in powershell and because people never logoff or restart their computers here, I am going to schedule a task through Group Policies to run on each machine for the users who are part of the OU it is assigned.  Problem is, as with most large organizations, we sometimes add local user account with the same username as the person the machine is assigned to just in case something happens.  When the task runs, even though I am logged in under my domain account, it tries to execute with my local credentials???  Why?  Is there a way to change this?  I hope?  My machine is Windows 7 and we are a mixed mode Windows 7/Windows XP org.

Thanks!
    Tony

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:06 PM

Answers

• Well, I found a way around this issue, by using (gwmi -class win32_computerSystem).username to get the username and using the domain administrator account and credentials for the task.

I think there should at least be a place to break up the username and domain for pushing out local tasks through group policies.  Based on further investigating, what happens is that although group policies is a domain centered function, it creates the local task with essentially the %username% or $env:username variable without any kind of domain reference, thus tricking Windows into thinking it should run the task with the local user credentials.

If I create a basic test task manually, it puts the full credentials in domain\username but with the group policy task it just puts the username field...

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:17 PM