none
Server not showing up in Network.

Question

• If I open the network centre on my Windows 8 machine(client) I'm not seeing the server listed, at the moment there's only the 2 machines in this domain. I can see the client from the server side.

I see a lot of mention of TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, I checked and it is running on both machines, everything else that relates to "server" seems to be running.

This s my first exposure of a server of this complexity, coming from WHSv1 and WHS 2011 and I mean to if not master it at least get a good understanding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ray

Almost forgot, I do see the server listed under Other Devices but that only takes me to the client install webpage and server properties. 

• Edited by Diemanca Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:25 PM Added information
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:22 PM

Answers

• Well then that is odd...From network center (To make sure we are on the same page)  What is that?

On my win 8 box at the metro screen I type network then press enter.  We are probably at the same page.  Press F5, show up yet?

At the top where it says network, type \\servername and press enter.  It should show the shares on the server

If not can you post ipconfig /all from the client and the server

Grey

• Marked as answer by Diemanca Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:02 AM
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:21 PM

All replies

• You need to install the client :)

Grey

Saturday, July 21, 2012 10:43 PM
  • No, client is installed and backups are working. I even have the Dashboard icon in the toolbar.

I'm running in administrator account, I switched to standard user to see if that made any difference, because that's what the client installation advises to do, but still server not showing.

Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:08 PM
  • Well then that is odd...From network center (To make sure we are on the same page)  What is that?

On my win 8 box at the metro screen I type network then press enter.  We are probably at the same page.  Press F5, show up yet?

At the top where it says network, type \\servername and press enter.  It should show the shares on the server

If not can you post ipconfig /all from the client and the server

Grey

• Marked as answer by Diemanca Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:02 AM
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Thanks Grey, that was it, I just had to refresh the window, I've never had to do that before, it's always been . . . just there whenever I've opened it :$

Would being part of a domain instead of a home network have any bearing on this?

Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:05 AM
  • This particular Domain setup should actually improve computers showing up vs hinder.  Just one of those silly things.  Enjoy!

Grey

Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:17 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. I can manually access shares by "\\server", but the server itself isn't showing up under "Network" in W8.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:56 PM
  • On the server itself, open explorer and click network.  Does stuff show up or does it say network discovery is turned off?

Grey

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:50 PM
  • I am having the same problem as described here.

After a reboot of both server and client, the server will usually show up in network. And as long as the client is online it will "remember" the server in this view. But after a while if you restart client it will no longer find the server i network browsing. It usually still see the the server as a media service, but not the shares.

When this happens i can most of the time still manually type \\servername and be able to browse the shares. I have experienced that even this did not work. I then tried \\ip.adress and this would still work.

If i were just using windows clients this would not be a problem for me, mapped drives and so on still works. But this problem, is really annoying for media devices that as relying on browsing the network for media files.

The media devices i am using (wdtv live) will see the server after a reboot of both server and media device. After a while and if the media box is restarted it will be unable to find the server.

I initially thought this was a problem with the wdtv live, but since my clients cant find the server either, im thinking it is some sort of service that is stopping on the server?

btw:

I never had any problems like this on the same hardware running windows 2008 r2 standard, or WHS 2011.

Only BIG difference i can think of now is that directaccess is set up according to the microsoft guide and is working flawlessly (could not be more happy)!

But this might cause some local network issues?

• Edited by Fredrik Weme Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:43 AM
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:37 AM