none
Windows KMS Client Activation against KMS Host Error: 0x8007007B

Question

• During activation of Windows 2008 R2 SP1, only on about 6 servers I have, I get this error:

The following information was found for this error:

Code:

0x8007007B

Description:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Anyone have a clue on this issue? I can't find anything about it other then somone saying that SP1 caused it because they uninstall SP1 and were able to activate without issue. Also, the MS activation error codes webpage says nothing about this error code (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793399.aspx). The thing is that I can activate with SP1 installed, on other servers I have. There's definatly something wrong with about 5 Windows 2008 PCs I have but I'm not certain what is wrong with them. It's not DNS or the KMS Host PC itself that has the issue. Like I said, I was able to activate a brand new 2008 R2 SP1, same build as the PCs I'm having issues with, without issue.

I even tried contacting Microsoft Software Assurance support but the person I talked to wasn't very helpful. She kept saying there's an issue with DNS or the KMS Host. She concluded this by using slmgr.vbs /skms <Name[:Port] | : port>. Then did a slmgr.vbs /ato and it was able to activate against the KMS Host. She also said that I must have the PC in the same domain as the KMS Host which is false. I tested activation without joining the domain this morning on a new server I created without issue. It doesn't have to be in the same domain, it just has to have the correct DNS suffix in TCP/IP to get the DNS entry for the KMS Host.

The issue looks to be with the activation process needing a file to run but can't find it.

PRAM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This is normally seen when the machine is a KMS client and contacting a DNS host that does not have KMS host record so it cannot find the KMS host or it cannot reach the KMS host.

Should be in most cases very similar to this error message below, I think in some cases with SP1 the error message changed

0x8007232b

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Interesting thing about that is I've only seen this issue on about 6 servers. Meaning, all other computers in the network can reach the KMS Host and activate without issue. I even attempted to create a new server using the same VM template used for these 6 servers and it was able to activate without issue.

I was able to perform a NSLOOKUP of the KMS Host DNS record on the server with this issue too.

Paul
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This is normally seen when the machine is a KMS client and contacting a DNS host that does not have KMS host record so it cannot find the KMS host or it cannot reach the KMS host.

Should be in most cases very similar to this error message below, I think in some cases with SP1 the error message changed

0x8007232b

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Interesting thing about that is I've only seen this issue on about 6 servers. Meaning, all other computers in the network can reach the KMS Host and activate without issue. I even attempted to create a new server using the same VM template used for these 6 servers and it was able to activate without issue.

I was able to perform a NSLOOKUP of the KMS Host DNS record on the server with this issue too.

Paul
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the help, setting the /skms option to the hostname of the server running the KMS service did the trick. In my case it was a Win2008R2 Sp1 after sysprep.exe.

I think the catch was it was not yet in the domain and that somehow interfiered with reading the KMS info from the DNS.

Regards,

Leonid

Regards, Leonid
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:44 AM