none
Using variables in email notifications for print management

Question

• I created a custom filter that sends an email notification to notify the IT Helpdesk when a toner is empty from one of our printers in our Print Server. The only thing I'm pondering is, how can I use variables to specify which printer has an actual empty toner?

The filter criteria:

Field: Queue Status
    Condition: is exactly
    Value: No Toner/Ink

If for some incomprehensible reason there's no support for such variables in the message field for email notifications, is there a simple way to do this with a script?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:54 AM

Answers

• The printer name is included in the message.  Are you looking to pull the name out of the message?

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Well that was pretty stupid of me. I checked the test emails, and it had no indications that such information was passed on. Now that an actual server did have an empty toner, I saw the email included such data. Thanks helping me out with something so obvious.

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:22 AM
  • I assume you got the message after you pushed the test button. If yes, you will get an email without printer name.
    Genuine messages should include the printer name.

Administrator

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:09 PM

All replies

• The printer name is included in the message.  Are you looking to pull the name out of the message?

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Well that was pretty stupid of me. I checked the test emails, and it had no indications that such information was passed on. Now that an actual server did have an empty toner, I saw the email included such data. Thanks helping me out with something so obvious.

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:22 AM
  • I assume you got the message after you pushed the test button. If yes, you will get an email without printer name.
    Genuine messages should include the printer name.

Administrator

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:09 PM