Can't add driver package to boot image in WDS

Question

• Hello,

Im trying to install a captured windows server 2003 image to a new server using WDS in windows 2008 R2.  The problem is that I am unable to add the necesary driver packages to the boot image I'm using.  This divers have been added to the drivers subfolder in WDS but after I run the process of adding the drivers I need to install in the boot image wds is unable and prompts the next error message.

"The following driver package could not be added to the image

An invalid name request was made. The name request cannot be retrieved at this time"

If I install the WIN 2003 image  with out the drivers, it downloads, and extracts the files correctly, the server reboots and starts loading Windows 2003, then the blue screen of death flashes for a second and the server reboots.  I'm unable to see what error is display on the blue screen.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you add other drivers to the boot image?

Usually the cause could be:

1.    The driver package is corrupt. Try downloading the driver again from the manufacturer’s website.

2.    The driver is unsigned 64-bit driver.

3.    You are trying to add a driver to an install image.

4.    You are trying to add a driver to a boot image which is not based on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

I suggest contacting your manufacturer to obtain the latest driver.

What’s the brand and model of your client computer and its network card?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The driver provisioning feature does not apply to Windows Server 2003 boot image or install image. The driver provisioning feature only applies to Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 boot image and Windows Vista/Windows 2008/Windows Server 2008 R2/Windows 7 install images.

Therefore, to install drivers during the Windows Server 2003 unattend deployment, you have to use unattend files or add drivers to the boot image first.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:47 AM
  • Thank for the replay,

I'm using Windows 7 boot image, to install a custom captured image of Windows 2003 server.  I've done the exact process for installing win xp on user's computers and I've been able to add the proper drivers to the boot image to allow me to run the install.  The problem now is that I'm not able to install the drivers for the new server to the boot image, Either using the GUI or the command promp it comes back with the same error.

Error Code: 0x801F0005

The following driver package could not be added to the image

An invalid name request was made. The name request cannot be retrieved at this time

My WDS server died a while ago and I had to rebuild it, this problem started after the rebuild.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

Can you use DISM to add the driver?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

As Tim said, you shoud be able to use Dism to mount the image, inject the drivers and then commit the changes so they are all in the boot image and not seperate.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744355(WS.10).aspx

MCITP Enterprise Administrator MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007 MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I did try using both DISM and WDSUTIL to add a single drive and the message back is the same error

Error Code: 0x801F0005

The following driver package could not be added to the image

An invalid name request was made. The name request cannot be retrieved at this time

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Usually the cause could be:

1.    The driver package is corrupt. Try downloading the driver again from the manufacturer’s website.

2.    The driver is unsigned 64-bit driver.

3.    You are trying to add a driver to an install image.

4.    You are trying to add a driver to a boot image which is not based on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

I suggest contacting your manufacturer to obtain the latest driver.

What’s the brand and model of your client computer and its network card?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:30 AM