none
Master browser

Question

• Hi,

We have a customer with two event ID's:

EventID: 8032 i 8021, Source Browser.

When problem appears servers aren’t available through network, master browser is very slow (my network places is opening too long), network share are unavailable, and sometimes whole server is not available (physical restart helps).

Can you advice how and from where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks and best regards.

Friday, May 01, 2009 6:09 AM

Answers

• Both events are related to computer Browser service, which is used to force election for master browser.

+ You have mentioned that server is unavailable on network? How you try to access server from network?
    + If you are not using network browsing (accessing network resources through network neighbor hood), it will be good idea to disable computer browser service.

+ I will recommend first identify if we can reach computer through other ways,
    1. While issue re-appears, try to ping server
    2. Telnet server on port 135 & port 445 -----------> Command: Telnet servername 445
    3. Try to access server with UNC path -------------> \\servername\c$
    4. Try to access server with IP address -------------> \\IP address of server\c$
    5. Try to access server with UNC path locally on server itself.

+ please do provide more information regarding network design and issue you were facing.
    • Marked as answer by Marc Lopez Monday, May 04, 2009 8:54 AM
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 3:52 AM

All replies

• Both events are related to computer Browser service, which is used to force election for master browser.

+ You have mentioned that server is unavailable on network? How you try to access server from network?
    + If you are not using network browsing (accessing network resources through network neighbor hood), it will be good idea to disable computer browser service.

+ I will recommend first identify if we can reach computer through other ways,
    1. While issue re-appears, try to ping server
    2. Telnet server on port 135 & port 445 -----------> Command: Telnet servername 445
    3. Try to access server with UNC path -------------> \\servername\c$
    4. Try to access server with IP address -------------> \\IP address of server\c$
    5. Try to access server with UNC path locally on server itself.

+ please do provide more information regarding network design and issue you were facing.
    • Marked as answer by Marc Lopez Monday, May 04, 2009 8:54 AM
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 3:52 AM
  • Hi,

Thnx. Problem is a little bit complexed, so we have to do all of this on customer site.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 8:56 AM