none
Hyper-V 2012 move vm fails

Question

• Hi,

I have 2 Hyper-V 2012 nodes, that is NOT configured as cluster. They have local storage, and im trying to move a vm from one to another, like "Shared Nothing Live Migration on Windows Server 2012, but it fails. I do the following: 

Select Move -> Select "Move the Virtual machine"->"I Select the other host"->Select "Move the Virtual machine`s data to a single location"->Select a folder on the other host-> and then Finish.

I do have Write Access to this folder on the other host. I get the following error

There was an error during move operation.

Virtual machine migration operation failed at migration source.

Failed to create folder.

Migration did not succeed. Failed to create folder XXXXXX: Invalid Signature.('0x80090006')

Why do i get this Invalid signature ? The strange this is that it Works the other way around....

Thanks for help

/R

Andreas 

Friday, November 23, 2012 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Virtual Machine “Move” operation is new feature introduced in Windows Server 2012, and actually it’s similar to new feature Live Migration on Non-clustered Virtual Machines.

A live migration moves running virtual machines between servers running Hyper-V without any perceived downtime. This topic also includes instructions for configuring constrained delegation if you want to use remote management tools to perform live migrations. To perform Live Migration on Non-clustered Virtual Machines host, make sure that your environment meets the following prerequisites:

• The Hyper-V role in Windows Server 2012 is installed on the source and destination servers, and at least one running virtual machine exists on the source computer
      • The source and destination computers either belong to the same Active Directory domain, or belong to domains that trust each other.
      • The user account has the appropriate permission to perform the various steps:
        • The account you use to configure constrained delegation must be a member of the Domain Administrators group.
      • The account you use to configure live migration and to perform the live migrations must be a member of the local Hyper-V Administrators group or the Administrators group on both the source and destination computers.
    • You have a computer running Windows 8 with the Hyper-V management tools installed.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Virtual Machine Live Migration Overview
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831435.aspx
    Configure and Use Live Migration on Non-clustered Virtual Machines
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134199.aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:10 AM

All replies

• Is this failure only happening when you are using Hyper-V Manager from a machine that is not hosting the VM?  If so, you might want to look at Kerberos Constrained Delegation: http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=13711  The second scenario in my post deals with Shared-Nothing Live Migration.

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Virtual Machine “Move” operation is new feature introduced in Windows Server 2012, and actually it’s similar to new feature Live Migration on Non-clustered Virtual Machines.

A live migration moves running virtual machines between servers running Hyper-V without any perceived downtime. This topic also includes instructions for configuring constrained delegation if you want to use remote management tools to perform live migrations. To perform Live Migration on Non-clustered Virtual Machines host, make sure that your environment meets the following prerequisites:

• The Hyper-V role in Windows Server 2012 is installed on the source and destination servers, and at least one running virtual machine exists on the source computer
      • The source and destination computers either belong to the same Active Directory domain, or belong to domains that trust each other.
      • The user account has the appropriate permission to perform the various steps:
        • The account you use to configure constrained delegation must be a member of the Domain Administrators group.
      • The account you use to configure live migration and to perform the live migrations must be a member of the local Hyper-V Administrators group or the Administrators group on both the source and destination computers.
    • You have a computer running Windows 8 with the Hyper-V management tools installed.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Virtual Machine Live Migration Overview
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831435.aspx
    Configure and Use Live Migration on Non-clustered Virtual Machines
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134199.aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Sorry for late answer, but im not sure what was wrong, but it Works now :)

Thanks for good reply.

/R

Andreas

Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:56 PM