none
How to boot a Hyper-V Virtual Machine with a PXE / RIS Server

Question

•  Dear Sirs,

I am having problems booting my VM-machines running in Hyper-V into the PXE server.

When I select the Hyper-V guest machines to boot with a legacy NIC configured in Virtual Network Manager.

Mike Sterling [MSFT] recommended me ask the question here.

Here are the details of the problem posted in Hyper-V topic. I'm rather puzzled with this as I can't seem to find why everything but PXE boot works for me with Hyper-V. Could it be that I improperly configured my PXE server?

Having that said, as you may see here in Hyper-V thread PXE boot works for me on my physical PC used to host Hyper-V and a for my virtual machines running on a third-party virtualization tool.

Could somebody please help me here? Could it be that PXE booting works for PXE running for WDS services only?

Thank you,

Stanislav.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have read the whole thread you posted in the Virtualization forum. I would say that, based on my environment, virtual machine installed on Hyper-V server can boot from network with a physical RIS server. I think this applies to your scenario 1, I am sorry to say that I cannot guarantee whether third party PXE server can work as well (scenario 2).

I would like to list my environment here so that you can understand how it goes:

1.    I have a WDS server and a RIS server in my environment. The WDS server has been configured to redirect installation requirements of Windows XP to RIS server (this is just for deploying Flat Image not the RIPrep Image). This is a little different from your environment, however, the communication between the client machine and the RIS server is the same.

2.    I create a new virtual machine in my Hyper-V (RC0) machine, replace the default network adapter with a legacy network adapter and connect it to the external switch.

3.    Boot the virtual machine after changing the BIOS settings to NIC for the first boot device. OK, now, everything goes smoothly.

I think the root cause could be on the RIS server (probably relating to the image that you captured with third party application). Please try the following tests and see how it goes:

1.    Put a physical machine in the scenario 1 network and boot it from the network. Can it boot or, does the same problem remains?

2.    Try capturing the image and uploading the image to RIS server by riprep.exe as follows:

Click Start -> Run, type "<RISServerName> \RemoteInstall\Admin\i386\riprep" (without the quotations). Then follow the wizard.

However, there are some limitations on this, see the following articles for more detailed information:

Requirements for Imaging Clients with Riprep.exe:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228908

Designing RIS Installations:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/dc89bc1c-9df2-4fc3-ae7f-c46f1a8b41fa1033.mspx?mfr=true

3.    You can also try upgrading the existing RIS server to WDS server, if possible. See the following article for more information:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/7d837d88-6d8e-420c-b68f-a5b4baeb52481033.mspx?mfr=true

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Tuesday, June 03, 2008 1:53 AM
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have read the whole thread you posted in the Virtualization forum. I would say that, based on my environment, virtual machine installed on Hyper-V server can boot from network with a physical RIS server. I think this applies to your scenario 1, I am sorry to say that I cannot guarantee whether third party PXE server can work as well (scenario 2).

I would like to list my environment here so that you can understand how it goes:

1.    I have a WDS server and a RIS server in my environment. The WDS server has been configured to redirect installation requirements of Windows XP to RIS server (this is just for deploying Flat Image not the RIPrep Image). This is a little different from your environment, however, the communication between the client machine and the RIS server is the same.

2.    I create a new virtual machine in my Hyper-V (RC0) machine, replace the default network adapter with a legacy network adapter and connect it to the external switch.

3.    Boot the virtual machine after changing the BIOS settings to NIC for the first boot device. OK, now, everything goes smoothly.

I think the root cause could be on the RIS server (probably relating to the image that you captured with third party application). Please try the following tests and see how it goes:

1.    Put a physical machine in the scenario 1 network and boot it from the network. Can it boot or, does the same problem remains?

2.    Try capturing the image and uploading the image to RIS server by riprep.exe as follows:

Click Start -> Run, type "<RISServerName> \RemoteInstall\Admin\i386\riprep" (without the quotations). Then follow the wizard.

However, there are some limitations on this, see the following articles for more detailed information:

Requirements for Imaging Clients with Riprep.exe:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228908

Designing RIS Installations:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/dc89bc1c-9df2-4fc3-ae7f-c46f1a8b41fa1033.mspx?mfr=true

3.    You can also try upgrading the existing RIS server to WDS server, if possible. See the following article for more information:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/7d837d88-6d8e-420c-b68f-a5b4baeb52481033.mspx?mfr=true

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Tuesday, June 03, 2008 1:53 AM
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:56 AM
  • For what's it's worth on this thread:

I have a working WDS/PXE environment that I use to support over 500 workstations.  It works great.  Today was the first time I tried to deploy an image from WDS to a Virtual Machine on my Hyper-V Server.

I run three VM's on this server; and just needed to create a test node real quick, and a VM was faster than spare hardware.

I used the Wizard to create the VM; and when asked; selected to "Boot from the Network to install an Operating System".  I kept getting no boot os found.

The solution was to delete the Network Adapter created in the VM settings by the Wizard, and "Add a Legacy Network Adapter" bound to the External Switch; as Chang Yin describes.

However; initially I did not understand that there was a signficant difference between "Virtual Adapter" and "Legacy Virtual Adapter".

Once I created the "Legacy Virtual Adapter" I was all set.

Directory of Technology
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:19 PM
  • @J Smith - Thank you for validating that the PXE boot scenario does work for a newly cerated VM on a Hyper-V, using the 'Legacy Network Adapter'.

I have been trying to do the same thing, though I am missing some piece of info. After I add a 'Legacy Network Adapter' , how do I bind it to an external switch? . This is on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 host OS (which is on corp net) and its OS was installed via PXE boot.

The Settings... dialog for the VM lists the 'Legacy Network Adapter' in the left nav pane. On the right side, there is a drop box beside 'Network:' which only contains one option and it says 'Not Connected'.

What is missing here?

Thanks
    Umesh

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Figured out the reason why there was no physical network switch entry in the 'Network' drop down. One needs to create a new virtual network of type 'External' first. Then, bind the Legacy Network Adapter to it.

PXE boot for a VM via Legacy Network Adapter now works.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:18 AM
  • Hi All

I am able to PXE boot Hyper-V machine, I have following configuration that worked for me.

1. VM Running Server OS (2008 R2) + WDS +DHCP +ADDS+DNS etc

2. Internal Network Switch configuration + VLan identification enabled + on Host OS, I have enabled the Internet sharing my physical NIC, assign the IP in the range of the range for Server VM and on client VM NIC make it sure VLAN identification is enabled, now PXE boot and you are good to go.

N.A.Malik

• Proposed as answer by N A Malik Friday, December 28, 2012 9:23 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 9:23 AM