none
Windows Storage Server 2008

Question

• Dear all

I have setup WSS 2008 x86 on a Fujitsu Siemens server which only has one sata disk, this is purley for testing, I have downloaded and installed the iSCSI targer 3.2 and installed it, however in administrative tools I am unable to see the iSCSI target, I am hoping to find the targer console

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:39 PM

Answers

• Thank you for point out. As you mentioned only WSS 2008 BASIC has the x86 version, which does not support iSCSI target.

When you install Windows Storage Server, you need to select an edition: Basic, Workgroup, Standard or Enterprise. If you're an MSDN or TechNet Plus subscribers, you have access to all editions and you should select the Enterprise Edition (available only as x64), which will provide you with all the WSS features. The only exception would be if your hardware does not include an x64 capable CPU, in which case you should install the Basic Edition (available as both x64 or x86). The Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.2 will not install on the Basic Edition.

Comment: x86 OS image. This one only installs as Basic and it can’t run the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target

See this article:

Windows Storage Server 2008 with the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.2 available to MSDN and TechNet Plus subscribers

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2009/05/12/windows-storage-server-2008-with-the-microsoft-iscsi-software-target-3-2-available-to-msdn-and-technet-plus-subscribers.aspx

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

You may input "iscsi" in Start --- Search, you should find "Microsoft iSCSI Software Target".

In addition here is an article provided steps to create iSCSI Storage Target Server:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Connect-Windows-Server-2008-Windows-Vista-iSCSI-Server.html

Hope it helps.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
    Monday, February 14, 2011 3:01 AM
  • If it is installed correctly, you should find the iscsitarget.msc in system32 folder or in Start --- Run.

Search should also help on finding the program.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Monday, February 14, 2011 8:21 AM
  • I am using the WSS08 x86 this is the basic edition I do not think the iSCSI target 3.2 works on this OS, I'll have to test the openfiler as my test server only has a 32bit chipset

Thanks

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Thank you for point out. As you mentioned only WSS 2008 BASIC has the x86 version, which does not support iSCSI target.

When you install Windows Storage Server, you need to select an edition: Basic, Workgroup, Standard or Enterprise. If you're an MSDN or TechNet Plus subscribers, you have access to all editions and you should select the Enterprise Edition (available only as x64), which will provide you with all the WSS features. The only exception would be if your hardware does not include an x64 capable CPU, in which case you should install the Basic Edition (available as both x64 or x86). The Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.2 will not install on the Basic Edition.

Comment: x86 OS image. This one only installs as Basic and it can’t run the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target

See this article:

Windows Storage Server 2008 with the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.2 available to MSDN and TechNet Plus subscribers

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2009/05/12/windows-storage-server-2008-with-the-microsoft-iscsi-software-target-3-2-available-to-msdn-and-technet-plus-subscribers.aspx

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Hi Shaon

I will try and find a system with a x64 chipset, I would really like setup WSS 2008 in a test enviroment as I am keen learn about SAN storage with Hyper-v so if you know of any blogs, websites, how-to-videos I would appreciate this.

Thanks

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:24 AM