none
Preferred and Alternate DNS Server

Question

• I am having trouble with configuring my Windows Server 2008 Enterprise.

When I made my Static IP I defined a Preferred and Alternate DNS Server.

When configuring the DCHP it asked for these DNS settings but they gave an error:

"The DNS server at the specified IP address is not responding."

Why does the IPv4 address validates as a DNS server and not the actual DNS settings?

And where do I find an alternate to my IPv4/DNS setting?

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

"Still in ipconfig /all DHCP Enable = "No""

This is done in the NIC settings as said before on the machines NIC NOT on the DHCP server.

And again, if you like to get help please provide requested information and don't ignore any question from us. Keep in mind that we are trying to help you and our questions have reasons and result in answers to help you.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:14 PM

• Still in ipconfig /all
    DHCP Enable = "No"

DHCP server will hand out DHCP IPs to its clients, when client machine has IP assigned by DHCP server, you would see DHCP Enabled = Yes.

If DHCP server it self has static IP configured, what you are seeing is normal.

Again, instead of beating around the bush, please elaborate your setup and what are you trying to achieve out of DHCP and DC configuration. If you are asking questions in bits and pieces, it will not help !

Hope it clarifies...

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:16 PM

All replies

• When I made my Static IP I defined a Preferred and Alternate DNS Server.

Do you mean, you have set same IP for both Preferred and Alternate DNS server ?

Can you please post the results of unedited ipconfig /all from your DC and DHCP server ?

Regards,Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:33 AM
  • Hello,

as said now multiple times. Please stick to one thread if possible and wait until a thread is solved and YOU can mark it as answered BEFORE asking new questions.

You can either work with DHCP on a computer OR with fixed settings.

An unedited ipconfig /all from the machine will give us an overview.

Also post the scope options you use on the Windows DHCP server.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:36 AM
  • First I have put the IPv4 from ipconfig /all into the DCHP as Preferred DNS.

Then I put some Alternate DNS Server from the Static IP for Alternate but it never verified.

Why did the Preferred and Alternate DNS Server from the Static IP not work and the IPv4 does?

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Then I put some Alternate DNS Server from the Static IP for Alternate but it never verified.

"Some" alternate DNS will not work ! You should specify the valid DNS.

Also, can you please post the results of ipconfig /all ? With the current information, we will not be able to suggest anything.

Regards,Santosh

Blog | Wiki 

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:56 AM
  • From ipconfig /all:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.#.##

IPv6 Address fe80::####:####:####:####%##

Default Gateway: 192.168.#.##

DNS Servers: 127.0.#.## and 127.0.#.##

My DNS Servers numbers do not verify in DCHP.  Why?

Why does IPv4 verify when my DNS Server DO NOT? 

And finally what goes in the Alternate spot if IPv4 belongs as Prefered DNS?

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:21 AM
  • From ipconfig /all:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.#.##

IPv6 Address fe80::####:####:####:####%##

Default Gateway: 192.168.#.##

DNS Servers: 127.0.#.## and 127.0.#.##

My DNS Servers numbers do not verify in DCHP.  Why?

Why does IPv4 verify when my DNS Server DO NOT? 

And finally what goes in the Alternate spot if IPv4 belongs as Prefered DNS?

That's not the output of ipconfig /all !

Anyways, 

DNS Servers: 127.0.#.## and 127.0.#.## - they are not your DNS servers ! Hence, DHCP fails to validate the DNS.

You should use your DC IP as it's own Preferred DNS server. If you have only one DC, you should use it's IP as preferred DNS and 127.0.0.1 as it's alternate DNS.

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:44 AM
  • How about the WINS and DCHPv6?

Does the IPv6 become the Preferred DCHPv6 and what about the Alternate one?

I never setup the IPv6 in the Static IP because I did not know the SubNet prefix length.
    Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:38 PM
  • How about the WINS and DCHPv6?

Does the IPv6 become the Preferred DCHPv6 and what about the Alternate one?

Can you please clarify the context of your questions ? What's it you are really trying to achieve ? 

Why would you like to use WINS ? and why IPv6 with DHCP ? Do you have IPv6 enabled network ?

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

• Marked as answer by Philosophiae Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Philosophiae Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:51 PM
  • In ipconfig /all  "DCHP Enabled" is "No".

I would like to understand how to get it to be "Yes".

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:25 PM
  • First you need to know how AD works, AD is tightly integrated with DNS and so as DHCP requires valid DNS configuration to work properly.

I would suggest you to go through following links

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kaevans/archive/2010/04/17/creating-a-windows-server-2008-r2-domain-controller.aspx

http://www.howtogeek.com/99723/how-to-set-up-dhcp-in-server-2008-r2/

DHCP: The server should be authorized : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee941131(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:30 PM
  • In ipconfig /all  "DCHP Enabled" is "No".

I would like to understand how to get it to be "Yes".

Hello,

this is done in the NIC settings, either you enter fixed ip address or choose the checkbox for DHCP on ip address AND DNS part.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Related the DHCP console changes:
    Control Panel>Administrative Tools>DHCP
    connect: >Action>Add Server>ThisAuthorized DHCP Server
    restart: >Action>All Tasks>Restart

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Active Directory Users and Computers
    set: >Users>DHCP Administrators>Members>add>"Add Current"

Still in ipconfig /all
    DHCP Enable = "No"

Looked in the Registry for the nic: "regedit"

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2009/01/08/configuring-advanced-network-card-settings-in-windows-server-2008-server-core.aspx

They were a little vague on how to change the speed and I did not want to chance changing the registry.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Hello,

"Still in ipconfig /all DHCP Enable = "No""

This is done in the NIC settings as said before on the machines NIC NOT on the DHCP server.

And again, if you like to get help please provide requested information and don't ignore any question from us. Keep in mind that we are trying to help you and our questions have reasons and result in answers to help you.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:14 PM

• Still in ipconfig /all
    DHCP Enable = "No"

DHCP server will hand out DHCP IPs to its clients, when client machine has IP assigned by DHCP server, you would see DHCP Enabled = Yes.

If DHCP server it self has static IP configured, what you are seeing is normal.

Again, instead of beating around the bush, please elaborate your setup and what are you trying to achieve out of DHCP and DC configuration. If you are asking questions in bits and pieces, it will not help !

Hope it clarifies...

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:16 PM