none
Windows server 2011 essentials dns issues joining to a domain

Question

• Good day i apologize if this was asked before i didn't find a clear answer. I installed Windows server 2011 Essentials as a fresh install on a server. I created the domain (mydomain.local) as part of the install. I did not run dc promo as it was part of the install (no way to not set up a domain)! I set up my admin and standard user accounts. Everything appeared to be fine. I staticked the ip and changed dns from 127.0.0.1 to my isp dns. I did not enable dns or dhcp as my router hands out ips and dns. I can rdp to the box. When i go to join a computer to the domain it prompts for credentials then spits up a dns error. So i ran dcdiag and it failed. i dont know where to begin to resolve my issue any help would be greatly appreciated. The dcdiag results are below:

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\EYEBASE
          Starting test: Connectivity
             The host f7969d68-3028-4bdf-884a-76a93fe789b1._msdcs.KLIENSORGE.local
             could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP,
             server name, etc.
             Got error while checking LDAP and RPC connectivity. Please check your
             firewall settings.
             ......................... EYEBASE failed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\EYEBASE

Starting test: DNS

DNS Tests are running and not hung. Please wait a few minutes...
             ......................... EYEBASE failed test DNS

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones

Running partition tests on : Schema

Running partition tests on : Configuration

Running partition tests on : KLIENSORGE

Running enterprise tests on : KLIENSORGE.local
          Starting test: DNS
             Test results for domain controllers:

DC: eyebase.KLIENSORGE.local
                Domain: KLIENSORGE.local

TEST: Basic (Basc)
                      Error: No LDAP connectivity
                      Warning: adapter
                      [00000007] Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller has invalid DNS
                      server: 8.8.8.8 (<name unavailable>)
                      Warning: adapter
                      [00000007] Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller has invalid DNS
                      server: 204.186.0.201 (<name unavailable>)
                      Error: all DNS servers are invalid
                      No host records (A or AAAA) were found for this DC
                      Warning: no DNS RPC connectivity (error or non Microsoft DNS s
    erver is running)

Summary of test results for DNS servers used by the above domain
             controllers:

DNS server: 204.186.0.201 (<name unavailable>)
                   1 test failure on this DNS server
                   Name resolution is not functional. _ldap._tcp.KLIENSORGE.local. f
    ailed on the DNS server 204.186.0.201

DNS server: 8.8.8.8 (<name unavailable>)
                   1 test failure on this DNS server
                   Name resolution is not functional. _ldap._tcp.KLIENSORGE.local. f
    ailed on the DNS server 8.8.8.8

Summary of DNS test results:

Auth Basc Forw Del  Dyn  RReg Ext
                _________________________________________________________________
                Domain: KLIENSORGE.local
                   eyebase                      PASS FAIL n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

......................... KLIENSORGE.local failed test DNS

Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• just a thought dns was set to 127.0.0.1 i changed it to the isp dns server and googles dns should i have left it as 127.0.0.1?
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Hi servo.tsc,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my knowledge, you may need to do the following:

For the internal clients:

Use your Windows server 2011 Essentials as the DNS Server.

For the server:

1. Use its own IP address as the Preferred DNS Server. And, use 127.0.0.1 as the Alternate DNS Server.

2. Add your ISP DNS as the Forwarder.

3. Also, it is recommended to use Windows Server 2011 Essentials as the DHCP Server, due to with Microsoft DHCP options, you can assign TCP/IP settings for your clients more effectively.

More information:

Running DHCP Server on SBS 2011 Essentials With a Static IP

Windows Server Solutions Best Practices Analyzer 1.0

Using Forwarders

Configure a DNS Server to Use Forwarders

In addition, it is recommended to post Windows Server 2011 Essentials related questions in our Windows Small Business Server Forums for better assistance.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by servo.tsc Friday, February 22, 2013 10:27 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 8:35 AM
  • just a thought dns was set to 127.0.0.1 i changed it to the isp dns server and googles dns should i have left it as 127.0.0.1?

That's correct, as well as Jeremy's reply. YOu simply can't use an external DNS with Active Directory. Same with all the workstations, clients, any member servers you installed, etc. If you do use Google's or someone's elses out there, it's like me asking some dude walking by my house, "Hey, where's all that beer that was in my fridge last night?" He doesn't have that answer, nor does Google or anyone else about your private, internal AD information. Here's more on it:

Active Directory's Reliance on DNS, and why you should never use an ISP's DNS address or your router as a DNS address, or any other DNS server that does not host the AD zone name
    Published by Ace Fekay, MCT, MVP DS on Aug 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM  1058  2
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/17/ad-and-its-reliance-on-dns.aspx

How DNS Support for Active Directory Works
    Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 (but it applies to any version of AD)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759550(v=ws.10).aspx

As for Windows Essentials, it's the new version of SBS (Small Business Server). There's actually a separate forum for SBS and Essentials:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:18 AM