none
RSAT

Question

•  

Where is the RSAT (remote server administration tools) for Vista.  I have installed the RTM of SP1 for Vista and have yet to find RSAT.  I thought this was going to be released in SP1.  Can anyone tell me where to get RSAT?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

•  

Here are the steps after you download and install the tools to make them show in your start menu:

1.       Launch Server Manage from the Start Menu

2.       Click Add Features

3.       Under Remote Server Administration ToolsàRole Administration Toolsà

a.       Enable Hyper-V Tools and click Next.

4.       Click Install.

5.       After the reboot, go to Administrative Tools in the Start Menu and you will see the Hyper-V Manager.

tony soper
    • Edited by tonysoper_MSFT Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:46 PM delete picture
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:44 PM
  • It hasn't been released yet.  It is still in testing.

tgc

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for let me know your feedback and I fully understand your concerns. The RSAT package for Vista SP1 RTM should be available in April. Thanks.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:31 AM
  • I hope you all enjoy RSAT.  I've read through some of the comments and wanted to address a few points:

1. RSAT includes only Windows Server 2008 tools which shipped with Windows Server 2008 RTM.  Exchange tools would not be included, nor Hyper-V as it did not ship with Windows Server 2008 RTM.  Hyper-V has a beta client tool available to install.
    2. Some of the tools work downlevel against Windows Server 2003 servers, including the Active Directory tools and Group Policy Management Console.  The KB article should have information on which ones work downlevel.
    3. RSAT shipped last week; in reading through the thread there was apparently some expectations about a delay until April.  We've always communicated RSAT would ship roughly a month after Windows Server 2008 RTMs, so I'm not certain where "April" came from; nonetheless, I hope the confusion has cleared up now.

Jason Leznek

Sr. Product Manager

Windows Client Manageability

Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:24 PM

All replies

• It hasn't been released yet.  It is still in testing.

tgc

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

As we known, the remote server administration tools for Windows Vista SP1 hasn't been released.

David Shen

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:10 AM
  •  

It is a valid question, he is asking about Managing WS2008 from Vista, something I too would like to do.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Yes, what a slap in the face this is.  Those of us that upgraded to Vista are rewarded by not being able to mange our domain from our computer.  I have waited and waited and waited and waited for these RSAT tools and have been disappointed yet again.  Come on guys!  Windows Server 08 is released and we still don't have these tools?  What is so difficult about this?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I agree its a valid question.  Still wondering what the answer is myself.  Its a bit shocking to me that MS would release the OS without the remote management tools being available.  While I appreciate there is much that can be done on Windows Server 2008 Core from the command line, I was really looking forward to using a remote GUI to manage a core install.

I will continue to wait and hope for more information on its availability from Microsoft.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for let me know your feedback and I fully understand your concerns. The RSAT package for Vista SP1 RTM should be available in April. Thanks.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:31 AM
  •  David Shen - MSFT wrote:

The RSAT package for Vista SP1 RTM should be available in April. Thanks.

Thanks David, that is the information I was looking for.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 12:54 PM

Hello,

April?  Seriously?  Between this and the borked Vista SP1 rollout, you guys (Microsoft) have really dropped the ball as of late.
    Friday, March 07, 2008 1:37 AM
  • I really want to start testing WS2008, but i am not going to get going with it before i have the Rsat tools for vista.

For now i can administer the users and computers in my AD okay with the hacked admin pack, on my vista machines (yes i upgraded everything i had a year ago). Since fixing passwords for users and other trivial tasks, is rather annoying to do with RD.
    I just saw a webcast about all the features in the new RSAT tools, and i really cant wait to get my hands on them. They should work good with all existing servers (2003), yay. So come on, giiiiief, cant wait till april Smile
    Friday, March 07, 2008 1:06 PM

Hello,

The RSAT package for Vista SP1 RTM should be available in April. Thanks.

Soooo.... by "April", you mean the very end of April, and by "very end", you mean May?
    Monday, March 17, 2008 7:05 PM
  •  

Well that sucks. I thought it was supposed to come out with SP1? So, Monday? http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39369881,00.htm

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:22 PM
  • So Will RSAT only work on Vitsa SP1? or will it work on XP SP2?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:32 AM
  • David,

Thank you for the reply and update on the RSAT, but your post says that it SHOULD be available in April.  My question is, is that a definate in April and if so, when in April??????

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:51 AM
  • Give me a break. Are you guys really Server Admins?  XP is already over 5 years old, expecting 2008 remote admin tools for XP is like expecting remote admin tools for 2003 server using Windows 98, sure.

MS has reasons for delaying the RSAT until they finalize the features in 2008 server, like WSv.  If you guys can't work with RDP like most real server admins, you should find another profession.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:04 AM
  • Just a little hostle Michael? I'm a "real server admin" and I prefer using the admin pack on my local machine to an RDC session any day. Why take the time to open the console and work over the network on another machine when you can just open up the tools and plug away? By the time you get that RDC session up, I've already gone in and corrected or created whatever needed to be done from the local box. I'm really interested in your definition of a real server admin as I am also anxious to get my hands on the RSAT and wish that I hadn't missed my chance to get in on the beta.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Lol - Maybe after a few years you will learn to work smart and not hard, if you can do something in under a minute on your local PC why go the extra effort of actually using RDP? Secondly if you are a "real" Server admin as you put it, then your helpdesk guys are creating users right? how are they creating mailboxes on your exchange in vista without admin tools??? or being a real server admin do you let your helpdesk guys RDP onto your exchange.

Please dont reply I dread the responce.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Just got released today:

Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista for x86-based Systems

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ff6e897-23ce-4a36-b7fc-d52065de9960&DisplayLang=en

Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d647a60b-63fd-4ac5-9243-bd3c497d2bc5&DisplayLang=en

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Nice!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Um...  Where's the Hyper-V manager tool in RSAT?  Yes, I know it's still a beta, but it is included in the OS.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:23 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=949758

This is a seperate install for Hyper-V RC0 management tools on vista

Jim

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:22 PM
  •  

It's about time!  While I am glad that these tools are finally available, I am incredibly disappointed with the poor communication regarding the progress or release date of these tools prior to the official release.   A lot of us were waiting very patiently for these, and the fact that NOBODY could give us a straight answer as to why these were taking so long dismays me. 

Now that I've ranted, YAY for the RSAT tools!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:06 PM
  •  

Available yes, enhanced no.... I cannot believe that after so many years you can still not choose how to sort things in MMC. If you mangeg several servers and have a MMC window with RDP you still cannot sort items?

Anyway enough of my RANT.

Anyone have any idea about the exchange amanagement tools? All fine being able to create a user in AD but you cannot create a mailbox? AdminPak you could install exchage tools to give everything? Can I do the same with exchange 07 and RSAT maybe?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:14 PM
  •  Michael_H_Reed wrote:

Available yes, enhanced no.... I cannot believe that after so many years you can still not choose how to sort things in MMC. If you mangeg several servers and have a MMC window with RDP you still cannot sort items?

Anyway enough of my RANT.

Anyone have any idea about the exchange amanagement tools? All fine being able to create a user in AD but you cannot create a mailbox? AdminPak you could install exchage tools to give everything? Can I do the same with exchange 07 and RSAT maybe?

Ditto, I was really expecting to be able to manage mailboxes with RSAT out of the box.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:42 PM
  •  

"If you guys can't work with RDP like most real server admins, you should find another profession."

Errr, real server admins use RDP??? A properly trained server admin will NEVER use RDP, in fact I, like most architects will design to positively discourage use of RDP except in emergencies. Using RDP is high risk, resource intensive, lazy, unprogrammatic and generally the sign of someone who has little experience managing in the enterprise.

It seems that Mr Bradley is the one who is in the wrong profession.

Ben

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:39 PM
  • If this is of any help, ADUC and the other adminpak tools work fine on Vista SP1.  All of the previous problems are resolved as far as I can see.  I still can't drag and drop in ADUC, but that's not a big deal (and may be a bad practice anyway).

This is holding me over until RSAT other than for GPMC, which remains a problem.  Luckily I am surrounded by computers and VMs with earlier OSes.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:48 PM
  •  

ADUC may work but how are you setting up mailboxes without the exchange tools installed? Has anyone running exchange 2003 (Cluster) installed admin tools on a vista PC - I'm curious how the preparing of the domain for 2007 turned out? but most importantly if you could and can you manage 2003 exchange via 2007 admin tools? Best I start reading I fear....again....
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:10 PM
  •   What a drag - move to Vista and all of a sudden you have to take a step back (RDP) to manage your servers...  I did just go through the tedious Vista SP1 install and then installed the new RSAT, but like you I am wondering how to manage my 2003 Exchange server.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:09 PM
  • RSAT has new been released:

Now Available: Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista with SP1

Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) enables IT administrators to remotely manage roles and features in Windows Server 2008 from a computer running Windows Vista with SP1. RSAT includes support for remote management of computers running either a Server Core installation or the full installation option of Windows Server 2008. It provides similar functionality to Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools Pack.

RSAT includes the new Group Policy Management Console (GPMC), which includes support for search, filter, comments, and Group Policy preferences for use in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 environments being managed from Windows Vista SP1 computers.

Monday, March 31, 2008 5:02 PM
  • I hope you all enjoy RSAT.  I've read through some of the comments and wanted to address a few points:

1. RSAT includes only Windows Server 2008 tools which shipped with Windows Server 2008 RTM.  Exchange tools would not be included, nor Hyper-V as it did not ship with Windows Server 2008 RTM.  Hyper-V has a beta client tool available to install.
    2. Some of the tools work downlevel against Windows Server 2003 servers, including the Active Directory tools and Group Policy Management Console.  The KB article should have information on which ones work downlevel.
    3. RSAT shipped last week; in reading through the thread there was apparently some expectations about a delay until April.  We've always communicated RSAT would ship roughly a month after Windows Server 2008 RTMs, so I'm not certain where "April" came from; nonetheless, I hope the confusion has cleared up now.

Jason Leznek

Sr. Product Manager

Windows Client Manageability

Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Why want anyone answer the question about managing Exchange 2003 users with Vista?

I have installed SP1 for Vista as well as RSAT but I still can't create or delete a mailbox on a users AD account.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:31 PM
  • I think the reason no one will actually answer the question directly is becasue the answer is so silly - they must figure it is better to baffle us with BS.  I am having a smiliar problem with Symantec and their new Endpoint Protection software.  What a giant mistake it has been 'upgrading' to that from Corporate AV.  The new console for SEP is awful.  Just like MS and Vista, Symantec took a good product and made it worse...

HELLO MICROSOFT - WILL IT EVER BE POSSIBLE TO MANAGE EXCHANGE 2003 FROM A VISTA COMPUTER WITHOUT HAVING TO RDP TO ANOTHER BOX?  RDP TO ANOTHER BOX - THAT'S CLASSIC.... 

Hey Microsoft, I have a car to sell you.  I know the one you have now works perfectly fine, but I am going to stop making parts for it soon.  I suggest you buy one of my new cars now, but you should be warned, it will not drive to grocery stores, or make left turns on Tuesdays.  You will need to take a cab when shopping for food or taking the kids to piano on Tuesday.

Friday, April 04, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Exchange Management Console

I'm betting you're referring to Microsoft Knowledgebase article 931903, which states you cannot install the Exchange Management Console or the Exchange System Manager on a Windows Vista-based computer.

Since Exchange Server 2007 ServicePack 1 you can install the Exchange Management Console, belonging to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 onto workstations running Windows Vista with ServicePack 1. Check here for more information.

Using the Exchange Management Console you can remotely manage servers running Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2007. If you feel anything is missing from the Exchange Management Console please leave a message in the TechNet Exchange Server 2007 Admin forum.

Exchange tabs in Active Directory Users and Computers

stargatephil posted a workaround in the TechNet Windows Vista Pro forum on a workaround at least for the exchange management tools within Vista.

Note:

This method is unsupported.

Copy the following files into your Windows/System32 directory on your Vista pc:

• address.dll
    • escprint.dll
    • exchmem.dll
    • glblname.dll
    • maildsmx.dll
    • netui0.dll
    • netui1.dll
    • netui2.dll
    • pttrace.dll

Perform the following command: 

regsvr32 \windows\system32\maildsmx.dll

After this, open up your RSAT tools and you will see the exchange tabs and exchange tasks for each user. When this method doesn't work for you or perhaps solves all your Exchange problems, please leave an answer here.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:19 PM
  •  Fieldzy wrote:

So Will RSAT only work on Vitsa SP1? or will it work on XP SP2?

I also want to know will RSAT work on XP SP2/SP3?

Can anyone tell us,thanks?

Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:32 AM
  • The requirements on the download page state that Vista SP1 is required.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9FF6E897-23CE-4A36-B7FC-D52065DE9960&displaylang=en

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Hi David,

I know it is a frequently asked question, but is there any update on the release date for Vista RSAT?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:16 PM
  •  

Are you serious Craig?  Have you not read any of the other posts in this forum?  RSAT's been out for almost a month now.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Will the Exchange TAB fix work in x64? i have been unsuccessful in this task (i did change to sysWOW64). Can anyone confirm?

Sander Berkouwer wrote:

Exchange Management Console

I'm betting you're referring to Microsoft Knowledgebase article 931903, which states you cannot install the Exchange Management Console or the Exchange System Manager on a Windows Vista-based computer.

Since Exchange Server 2007 ServicePack 1 you can install the Exchange Management Console, belonging to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 onto workstations running Windows Vista with ServicePack 1. Check here for more information.

Using the Exchange Management Console you can remotely manage servers running Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2007. If you feel anything is missing from the Exchange Management Console please leave a message in the TechNet Exchange Server 2007 Admin forum.

stargatephil posted a workaround in the TechNet Windows Vista Pro forum on a workaround at least for the exchange management tools within Vista.

Note:

• address.dll
    • escprint.dll
    • exchmem.dll
    • glblname.dll
    • maildsmx.dll
    • netui0.dll
    • netui1.dll
    • netui2.dll
    • pttrace.dll

After this, open up your RSAT tools and you will see the exchange tabs and exchange tasks for each user. When this method doesn't work for you or perhaps solves all your Exchange problems, please leave an answer here.

• Proposed as answer by Cayuga Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:17 PM
    Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Ok Where do I find those DLLs so the can be copied.   Also does anyone know how to get the Communications Tab and how to add functionality for OCS (Office Communications Server) into the Active Directory Users and Computers the is part of RSAT.   I am running RSAT on a Vista Sp1 64bit Machine.      I still have to RDP into the OCS server so I can right click and enable users for communications server.   I installed the OCS management tools on my vista computer but running that does not show me the Active Directory users that are not currently enabled.   It only lets me manage the already enabled users.
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 1:06 PM
  • It is sad that RSAT tools is not completed. for example, missing Hyper-V which needed to be downloaded.
    www.infotechguyz.com - Server 2008, Exchange 2007 Tutorials
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Hello Guys, Hello Sander,

thanks for the workaround for the exchange tabs in active directory management. It works greatly. This was the only really important thing i missed on vista. Now it's time to kill my XP...

ciao from Hamburg
    Franco
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:51 AM
  • Dear stargatephil

You can find Rsat Download link in the middle of this page.
    Both 64x And 86X version are available for downloads.
    Hope it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941314

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:48 AM
  •  

Here are the steps after you download and install the tools to make them show in your start menu:

1.       Launch Server Manage from the Start Menu

2.       Click Add Features

3.       Under Remote Server Administration ToolsàRole Administration Toolsà

a.       Enable Hyper-V Tools and click Next.

4.       Click Install.

5.       After the reboot, go to Administrative Tools in the Start Menu and you will see the Hyper-V Manager.

tony soper
    • Edited by tonysoper_MSFT Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:46 PM delete picture
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:44 PM
  • MRKING said:

Will the Exchange TAB fix work in x64? i have been unsuccessful in this task (i did change to sysWOW64). Can anyone confirm?

Sander Berkouwer wrote:

Exchange Management Console

Note:

• address.dll
    • escprint.dll
    • exchmem.dll
    • glblname.dll
    • maildsmx.dll
    • netui0.dll
    • netui1.dll
    • netui2.dll
    • pttrace.dll

THIS DID NOT WORK FOR ME EITHER on Vista x64 SP1.
    Can anybody offer any help as to how to get the Exchange 2003 management tabs working in ADUC in Vista x64?
    Would be much appreciated by many! Thanks

Monday, March 09, 2009 5:30 PM
  • The newest release of RSAT (for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2) is at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d2f6ad7-656b-4313-a005-4e344e43997d
    tony soper
    • Proposed as answer by tonysoper_MSFT Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:20 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:20 PM
  • For VISTA x64 this worked for me -
    copy the same list (copy again below) of files to:   c:\Windows\SysWow64

FILE                  where file obtained from on Exchange server 
    address.dll        c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin
    escprint.dll        c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin
    exchmem.dll     c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin
    glblname.dll      c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin
    maildsmx.dll     c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin
    pttrace.dll         c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin 
    netui0.dll          c:\windows\system32
    netui1.dll          c:\windows\system32
    netui2.dll          c:\windows\system32

then  run:    regsvr32 c:\Windows\SysWow64\maildsmx.dll

works like a charm on Vista x64, 
    (mind you on my VISA build I used Windows Server 2003 Admin Tools Pack KB304718 - then the above update)
    BUT have had no success yet for adding the tabs for Exchange 2003 to Windows 7 x64 yet using RSAT for Windows 7...
    • Proposed as answer by Cayuga Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:29 PM
  • FYI. There is a TechNet Wiki topic now that discusses installing RSAT on Windows Vista, Windows 7, as well as the server products Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/remote-server-administration-tools-rsat-for-windows-vista-windows-7-windows-server-2008-and-windows-server-2008-r2-dsforum2wiki.aspx
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:26 AM