none
need to force detection (not install) between 7 at night and 5 in the morning.

Question

• I have the install time set with GP, but I also need to prohibit the detection/download time to non-buisness hours.  I know the detection interval can be used, but that seems to be a "detect within so many hours of the last reboot time" - meaning if the users reboots at 3:00 PM with a detect time of 22 hours, they will detect every day between before lunch and after dinner.

Can this be limited to a range of clock times, rather than from the moment the service last started?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:13 PM

Answers

• I have the install time set with GP, but I also need to prohibit the detection/download time to non-business hours.

You cannot restrict the detection time. It occurs every X hours (22 hours by default).

You can, however, restrict when the downloads can occur. This is done by configuring the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). Please refer to the WSUS Technical Reference Guide:  Improve WSUS Download Performance with BITS for more information.

I know the detection interval can be used, but that seems to be a "detect within so many hours of the last reboot time"

Actually it's based on "so many hours" since the last detection time.

meaning if the users reboots at 3:00 PM with a detect time of 22 hours, they will detect every day between before lunch and after dinner.

It also has a built in 0-20% negative offset, so in reality, the next detection time will be (randomly) sometime between 17.6 and 22.0 hours after the end of the most recent detection time, so the detection will not occur in the same time block every successive day.

Can this be limited to a range of clock times

No.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Jbrady33 Friday, March 22, 2013 1:03 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:16 AM