Event ID 11 - the driver detected a controller error...

Question

• In the Sytem log, I am seeing Event ID 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddiskx\DRy, where x is either 3 or 4 and corresponds to one of two USB hard drives, and y seems to vary (DR5, DR6, DR15, etc.). 

Usually this event occurs at logon, but not all logons.  Sometimes occurances are not correlated with logons.

One of the USB hard drives is a Maxstor Basics, the other is a Seagate FreeAgent Go.  Since instances of this event occur that reference both hard drives, it seems like the particular hard drive is not the problem.  Similarly, moving the connections to different USB ports has no effect, so it seems like the particual USB port is not the problem.

Any suggestion about how to eliminate this event?

What does DR (as in DR5, DR6, DR15) mean?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 5:13 PM

All replies

• hi there,

In almost all cases, the event id 11 message is being posted due to hardware problems with either the controller or, more likely, a device that is attached to the controller in question. The hardware problems can be associated with poor cabling, incorrect termination or transfer rate settings, lazy or slow device responses to relinquish the SCSI bus, a faulty device, or, in very rare cases, a poorly written device driver.

for your convinience i have provided the below link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/154690

=============================================================

\Device|Harddisk1\DP  is the device that controls PARTITION on the disk

\Device|Harddisk1\DR7 repersents disk as RAW PHYSICAL DRIVE

Each disk have one DR device for PHYSICAL DRIVE and one DP device per partition.
    You can simply use autogenerated SymbolicLink \Device\HardDiskX\Partition0 for RAW volume, and \Device\HardDiskX\Partition(1,2,3...) for logical partitions if you are writing your own device drivers.

if you need still more indepth detail

IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS can determine
    the PhysicalDisk# given a volume handle.

sainath !analyze
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm only seeing Event ID 11 for \Device\Harddisk3 and \DeviceHarddisk4, both of which are USB hard drives.  KB154690, which you linked to, discusses troubleshooting Event ID 11 with respect to SCSI devices.  I wonder if this is a (very rare) case of a poorly written device driver?

You mentioned that DR7 represents disk as a raw physical drive.  What about DR3, DR4, DR5, DR6, and DR15?

Using Device Manager, I have enabled write caching in Windows on both of these USB hard drives (write caching is disbled by default).  I have not seen any instances of Event ID 11 since doing so.  If that changes, I will report it here.
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:06 PM
  • hi there,

these DR's represent different meaning while writing device drivers, which i think it is of no use when you troubleshoot drivers from GUI perspective / from end user perspective, but if you have the sourc code and want to debug then you will require this info

normal harddisks you can't get easily access to the whole media structure e.g. the partition table. Seems I have to use some low level access functions. But on removable media it seems that the Harddisk number I get seems so correspond with the PhysicalDrive. But  there  seems to be no real good description about all these naming conventions.

some of the conventions you would write is

PhysicalDrive{x} -> QueryDosDevice -> Device\Harddisk{x}\DR{x}
    where DR[x] might represent the partition of a harddisk.

sainath !analyze
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Update: enabling write caching reduced the frequency of, but did not eliminate this event.  I also tried disabling USB selective suspend setting in power options, but that had no effect on Event ID 11.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 1:54 AM