Windows Server 2008 R2 cannot access the internet!

Question

• I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 as a virtual machine on VMWare, setup went fine.  My computer is hooked up to my home network via ethernet directly to port 3 of my Belkin Wireless router.  My network and sharing center says I have an internet connection, but whenever I try to open a web browser it gives me the same screen

Windows Network Diagnostics

Issues found

website (www.google.com) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.

website (www.google.com) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.The remote computer isnt responding to connections on port 80, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldnt find any problems with the firewall on your computer.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm not able to connect to anything?  I cant even run windows updates.  I have no internet connection even tho it says I do.  Please help!

Publisher details

Windows Network Diagnostics

Detects problems with network connectivity.

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Windows

Monday, December 14, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• Well, your post gives us some stuff to wish for ;)

Have you configured IP-settings?
    DNS?
    Have you tried nslookup www.google.com or any other domain name? Success?
    Have you tried traceroute and see how far you get?
    Ping?
    Are you running a firewall?

Best regards

Joachim Nässlander
    IT-Expert, Knowledge Factory
    (http://www.knowledgefactory.se)

MVP Cluster
    Member of Microsoft Extended Experts Team (MEET)
    Blog: http://www.nullsession.com
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Well, your post gives us some stuff to wish for ;)

Have you configured IP-settings?  Server 2008 R2 had DHCP automatically assigning its self an IP which was much different from my home network where this server is being connected to.  The server assigned its self the IPv4 192.168.201.216 when my home network where all IPv4's are 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.11

Why would my server automatically assign its self a IPv4 so far off from my home network?

DNS?  When I log into my Belkin router at home should I use the DNS listed on the Network overview page or use the DNS which is automatically assigned to the server when I run ipconfig/all

Have you tried nslookup www.google.com or any other domain name? Success?  I havent tried nslookup yet, but I will try it once I get home and let you know.

Have you tried traceroute and see how far you get?  Yes, I ran Tracert and I didnt even get 2 hops before I got "*" returned to me.

Ping?  Yes, I pinged www.google.com and recieved all 4 packets back with no problem.

Are you running a firewall?  After installation a server should be able to access the internet, but with high security settings. Right?  As for firewall I'm using the default server 2008 R2 firewall.  But I do believe my Belkin Wireless N router might have a firewall built into it.  Any way to possibly create an exception for my server to get through the firewall. 

Let me know if there is any other information that would help to diagnos this issue.

Monday, December 14, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

Are you using VMware Workstation? If so, please provide the version of VMware workstation.

Why would my server automatically assign its self a IPv4 so far off from my home network?

>> I would like to confirm the network type you select to connected, did you use NAT or Bridge?

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Yes, Im using VMworkstation version 6.5.  Also the network type is NAT.  What other information could you use?  Thanks!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I just tried switching from NAT to Bridged and it gave me an IP address similar to those on my network 192.168.2.14 .  But still no access to the internet.  Now I open the Network and Security Center I have an "X" through the connection from the network to the internet.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:46 PM
  • I now have switched back to NAT because it actually shows the bar connecting from my server to the router to the internet successfully, but still no actual connection to the internet.  :(

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Also when I try to Activate Server 2008 R2 i get this error code 0x80072EE2
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:11 PM
  • If you configure the DHCP-server in VmWare Workstation to assign your virtual server the same DNS-servers as you're using on your physical box, do you get any further. (Using NAT)

If you use bridged networking and assign your server a manual address on the same network (with the same dns/gateway address as your physical box), do you get any further?

You should use the dns that your Belkin says, you could also try to use your belkin router as dns address as it probably forwards queries.

Your server gets its dhcp-address from vmware workstation, you can configure these settings. See this http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net_advanced_ipaddress.html

You won't need to create any exceptions for your server to connect externally (at least as far as http goes).
    Best regards

Joachim Nässlander
    IT-Expert, Knowledge Factory
    (http://www.knowledgefactory.se)

MVP Cluster
    Member of Microsoft Extended Experts Team (MEET)
    Blog: http://www.nullsession.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Make sure that the TCP/IP is set correctly (static/dynamic IP, if static - correct IPs) and that the connection is enabled and connected.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I am having the same issue. running Server 2008 R2 x64 as the guest OS
    I have tried the following VM programs

VMware workstation 7
    VMware Server 2
    Sun virtual box

i used Bridged network with all and can't access the internet. When using the network diagnostic, it says it can't connect to the dns server. NSlookup times out. Ping can't find hosts. I am in a Windows domain network, but the guest os is not part of the domain. I can connect to our domain controller in windows explorer.

host OS: Win 7 ult x64
    all firewalls off, no anti virus
    Two Nics (started off with one, didn't work, so i thought it might be the NIC, added a second, still didn't work)

on a side note, Ubuntu Server has the same issue, pulls down info from DHCP but no internet access.

Using NAT works, but doesn't meet my needs.

this is obviously looking like a host OS issue. Any ideas?
    Friday, February 05, 2010 5:29 PM
  • I've got the same issue. 

I can connect to internet when dhcp is on

When i go to manual and assign exact same values, the connection fails.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:04 PM
  • I am having the same issue. running Server 2008 R2 x64 as the guest OS
    I have tried the following VM programs

VMware workstation 7
    VMware Server 2
    Sun virtual box

i used Bridged network with all and can't access the internet. When using the network diagnostic, it says it can't connect to the dns server. NSlookup times out. Ping can't find hosts. I am in a Windows domain network, but the guest os is not part of the domain. I can connect to our domain controller in windows explorer.

host OS: Win 7 ult x64
    all firewalls off, no anti virus
    Two Nics (started off with one, didn't work, so i thought it might be the NIC, added a second, still didn't work)

on a side note, Ubuntu Server has the same issue, pulls down info from DHCP but no internet access.

Using NAT works, but doesn't meet my needs.

this is obviously looking like a host OS issue. Any ideas?

Same here. NAT works.

Bridged cannot connect to Internet. It can ping other computers in the same network though.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I now have switched back to NAT because it actually shows the bar connecting from my server to the router to the internet successfully, but still no actual connection to the internet.  :(

Same here. Any solutions?
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:27 AM