none
ADMT 3.2 problems with the exclusion and Error 0x80004005

Question

• I am doing some testing with the Active Directory Migration Toolkit Version 3.2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2.
    I am sure I met all the prerequisites in the source domain, target domain and on the ADMT machine. Basically I can migrate Users, Groups and Computers also with the SID history. What´s causing some headaches is:

a) A Database / exclusion list related error message in the ADMT Logs, although the migration itself always finishes with "success".
    b) The exclusion of a huge amount of AD attributes by default.

About a)
    On every migration, the first line I get in the Log is this one:
    Unable to store default excluded system properties in database. Unspecified error (0x80004005)
    I had a look at the ADMT Databases TaskProperties Table and the Exclusion columns are all empty (for example AccountOptions.ExcludedSystemProps is NULL)
    Also when using VBScript to query the exclusions, they are all empty:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

UserPropertiesToExclude:
    InetOrgPersonPropertiesToExclude :
    GroupPropertiesToExclude :
    ComputerPropertiesToExclude :
    SystemPropertiesToExclude:

The User which is running the ADMT is a local Admin and the BUILTIN\Administrators are sysadmin on the SQL Server. So I doubt this is a permission problem. The ADMT Whitepaper states that 2 properties are excluded by default (mail and proxyAddresses), but not even they are included in the Exclusion list. Somehow ADMT has problems saving that information in the Database, which I think is causing my problem b)

About b)
    Looking at a Log after the migration of a User account, I can see that a huge amount of AD attributes are excluded. Many of them are needed and I want to include them. Since there´s no inclusion list in ADMT I cannot add them by hand and I think problem b) is connected to problem a). Many of these excluded attributes exist in the target Domain, since it also has for example an Exchange Server up and running. I assume since the ADMT cannot save to the Exclusion list in the SQL table, it just leaves out all AD attributes which are not required to create an Account in the target Domain. Apart from the SIDHistory, which gets migrated fine, it looks to me that the new Accounts in the target Domain have just the bare minimum AD attributes filled which are required to create a User at all.

Here´s an excerpt from a "successfully" migrated User log file:

mail,proxyAddresses,msDS-PSOApplied,msDS-HostServiceAccount,
    DUP-houseIdentifier-8dbbf431-f20e-426d-9fe1-5f8e0b46d7ca,
    DUP-labeledURI-45078ae9-7c90-4274-9014-7c638a9de597,altRecipient,altRecipientBL,
    attributeCertificate,attributeCertificateAttribute,audio,authOrig,authOrigBL,
    autoReply,autoReplyMessage,businessRoles,carLicense,dLMemDefault,
    dLMemRejectPerms,dLMemRejectPermsBL,dLMemSubmitPerms,dLMemSubmitPermsBL,
    dLMemberRule,deletedItemFlags,delivContLength,delivExtContTypes,
    deliverAndRedirect,deliveryMechanism,departmentNumber,dnQualifier,employeeNumber,
    employeeType,enabledProtocols,expirationTime,extensionAttribute1,
    extensionAttribute10,extensionAttribute11,extensionAttribute12,
    extensionAttribute13,extensionAttribute14,extensionAttribute15,
    extensionAttribute2,extensionAttribute3,extensionAttribute4,extensionAttribute5,
    extensionAttribute6,extensionAttribute7,extensionAttribute8,extensionAttribute9,
    extensionData,folderPathname,formData,forwardingAddress,gecos,gidNumber,
    heuristics,hideDLMembership,homeMDB,homeMTA,homePostalAddress,importedFrom,
    internetEncoding,ipHostNumber,jpegPhoto,kMServer,language,languageCode,
    logRolloverInterval,loginShell,mAPIRecipient,mDBOverHardQuotaLimit,
    mDBOverQuotaLimit,mDBStorageQuota,mDBUseDefaults,mailNickname,memberUid,
    monitoredConfigurations,monitoredServices,monitoringAvailabilityStyle,
    monitoringAvailabilityWindow,monitoringCachedViaMail,monitoringCachedViaRPC,
    monitoringMailUpdateInterval,monitoringMailUpdateUnits,
    monitoringRPCUpdateInterval,monitoringRPCUpdateUnits,msDFSR-ComputerReferenceBL,
    msDFSR-MemberReferenceBL,msDS-ObjectReferenceBL,msDS-PhoneticCompanyName,
    msDS-PhoneticDepartment,msDS-PhoneticDisplayName,msDS-PhoneticFirstName,
    msDS-PhoneticLastName,msDS-SourceObjectDN,msExchADCGlobalNames,
    msExchALObjectVersion,msExchAddressBookFlags,msExchAddressBookPolicyLink,
    msExchAggregationSubscriptionCredential,msExchAlternateMailboxes,
    msExchApprovalApplicationLink,msExchArbitrationMailbox,msExchArchiveAddress,
    msExchArchiveDatabaseBL,msExchArchiveDatabaseLink,msExchArchiveGUID,
    msExchArchiveName,msExchArchiveQuota,msExchArchiveStatus,msExchArchiveWarnQuota,
    msExchAssistantName,msExchAuditAdmin,msExchAuditDelegate,
    msExchAuditDelegateAdmin,msExchAuditOwner,msExchAvailabilityOrgWideAccountBL,
    msExchAvailabilityPerUserAccountBL,msExchBlockedSendersHash,msExchBypassAudit,
    msExchBypassModerationBL,msExchBypassModerationFromDLMembersBL,
    msExchBypassModerationFromDLMembersLink,msExchBypassModerationLink,msExchCU,
    msExchCalculatedTargetAddress,msExchCalendarRepairDisabled,
    msExchCapabilityIdentifiers,msExchCoManagedByLink,msExchCoManagedObjectsBL,
    msExchConferenceMailboxBL,msExchConfigurationUnitBL,
    msExchContentConversionSettings,msExchControllingZone,msExchCustomProxyAddresses,
    msExchDelegateListBL,msExchDelegateListLink,msExchDeviceAccessControlRuleBL,
    msExchDirsyncID,msExchDirsyncSourceObjectClass,msExchDisabledArchiveDatabaseLink,
    msExchDisabledArchiveGUID,msExchDumpsterQuota,msExchDumpsterWarningQuota,
    msExchELCExpirySuspensionEnd,msExchELCExpirySuspensionStart,
    msExchELCMailboxFlags,msExchEdgeSyncCookies,msExchEdgeSyncRetryCount,
    msExchEdgeSyncSourceGuid,msExchEnableModeration,msExchEwsApplicationAccessPolicy,
    msExchEwsEnabled,msExchEwsExceptions,msExchEwsWellKnownApplicationPolicies,
    msExchExchangeServerLink,msExchExpansionServerName,msExchExtensionAttribute16,
    msExchExtensionAttribute17,msExchExtensionAttribute18,msExchExtensionAttribute19,
    msExchExtensionAttribute20,msExchExtensionAttribute21,msExchExtensionAttribute22,
    msExchExtensionAttribute23,msExchExtensionAttribute24,msExchExtensionAttribute25,
    msExchExtensionAttribute26,msExchExtensionAttribute27,msExchExtensionAttribute28,
    msExchExtensionAttribute29,msExchExtensionAttribute30,msExchExtensionAttribute31,
    msExchExtensionAttribute32,msExchExtensionAttribute33,msExchExtensionAttribute34,
    msExchExtensionAttribute35,msExchExtensionAttribute36,msExchExtensionAttribute37,
    msExchExtensionAttribute38,msExchExtensionAttribute39,msExchExtensionAttribute40,
    msExchExtensionAttribute41,msExchExtensionAttribute42,msExchExtensionAttribute43,
    msExchExtensionAttribute44,msExchExtensionAttribute45,
    msExchExtensionCustomAttribute1,msExchExtensionCustomAttribute2,
    msExchExtensionCustomAttribute3,msExchExtensionCustomAttribute4,
    msExchExtensionCustomAttribute5,msExchExternalDirectoryObjectId,
    msExchExternalOOFOptions,msExchExternalSyncState,msExchFBURL,
    msExchForeignGroupSID,msExchGenericForwardingAddress,
    msExchGroupDepartRestriction,msExchGroupJoinRestriction,
    msExchHABRootDepartmentBL,msExchHABShowInDepartments,msExchHideFromAddressLists,
    msExchHomeServerName,msExchHouseIdentifier,msExchIMACL,msExchIMAP4Settings,
    msExchIMAPOWAURLPrefixOverride,msExchIMAddress,msExchIMMetaPhysicalURL,
    msExchIMPhysicalURL,msExchIMVirtualServer,msExchImmutableId,
    msExchInconsistentState,msExchIntendedMailboxPlanBL,
    msExchIntendedMailboxPlanLink,msExchInterruptUserOnAuditFailure,
    msExchIsMSODirsynced,msExchLabeledURI,msExchLastExchangeChangedTime,
    msExchLicenseToken,msExchLitigationHoldDate,msExchLitigationHoldOwner,
    msExchMDBRulesQuota,msExchMailboxAuditEnable,msExchMailboxAuditLastAdminAccess,
    msExchMailboxAuditLastDelegateAccess,msExchMailboxAuditLastExternalAccess,
    msExchMailboxAuditLogAgeLimit,msExchMailboxFolderSet,msExchMailboxFolderSet2,
    msExchMailboxGuid,msExchMailboxMoveBatchName,msExchMailboxMoveFlags,
    msExchMailboxMoveRemoteHostName,msExchMailboxMoveSourceArchiveMDBBL,
    msExchMailboxMoveSourceArchiveMDBLink,msExchMailboxMoveSourceMDBBL,
    msExchMailboxMoveSourceMDBLink,msExchMailboxMoveSourceUserBL,
    msExchMailboxMoveStatus,msExchMailboxMoveStorageMDBBL,
    msExchMailboxMoveTargetArchiveMDBBL,msExchMailboxMoveTargetArchiveMDBLink,
    msExchMailboxMoveTargetMDBBL,msExchMailboxMoveTargetMDBLink,
    msExchMailboxMoveTargetUserBL,msExchMailboxOABVirtualDirectoriesLink,
    msExchMailboxPlanType,msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor,msExchMailboxTemplateLink,
    msExchMailboxUrl,msExchManagementSettings,msExchMasterAccountHistory,
    msExchMasterAccountSid,msExchMaxBlockedSenders,msExchMaxSafeSenders,
    msExchMessageHygieneFlags,msExchMessageHygieneSCLDeleteThreshold,
    msExchMessageHygieneSCLJunkThreshold,msExchMessageHygieneSCLQuarantineThreshold,
    msExchMessageHygieneSCLRejectThreshold,msExchMobileAllowedDeviceIDs,
    msExchMobileBlockedDeviceIDs,msExchMobileDebugLogging,msExchMobileMailboxFlags,
    msExchMobileMailboxPolicyLink,msExchMobileRemoteDocumentsAllowedServersBL,
    msExchMobileRemoteDocumentsBlockedServersBL,
    msExchMobileRemoteDocumentsInternalDomainSuffixListBL,msExchMobileSettings,
    msExchModeratedByLink,msExchModeratedObjectsBL,msExchModerationFlags,
    msExchOURoot,msExchOWAAllowedFileTypesBL,msExchOWAAllowedMimeTypesBL,
    msExchOWABlockedFileTypesBL,msExchOWABlockedMIMETypesBL,
    msExchOWAForceSaveFileTypesBL,msExchOWAForceSaveMIMETypesBL,msExchOWAPolicy,
    msExchOWARemoteDocumentsAllowedServersBL,
    msExchOWARemoteDocumentsBlockedServersBL,
    msExchOWARemoteDocumentsInternalDomainSuffixListBL,msExchOWASettings,
    msExchOWATranscodingFileTypesBL,msExchOWATranscodingMimeTypesBL,
    msExchObjectCountQuota,msExchObjectID,msExchOmaAdminExtendedSettings,
    msExchOmaAdminWirelessEnable,msExchOnPremiseObjectGuid,
    msExchOrganizationsAddressBookRootsBL,msExchOrganizationsGlobalAddressListsBL,
    msExchOrganizationsTemplateRootsBL,msExchOriginatingForest,msExchPOP3Settings,
    msExchParentPlanBL,msExchParentPlanLink,msExchPartnerGroupID,msExchPfRootUrl,
    msExchPoliciesExcluded,msExchPoliciesIncluded,msExchPolicyEnabled,
    msExchPolicyList,msExchPolicyOptionList,msExchPreviousAccountSid,
    msExchPreviousHomeMDB,msExchPreviousMailboxGuid,msExchProvisioningFlags,
    msExchProxyCustomProxy,msExchQueryBaseDN,msExchRBACPolicyBL,msExchRBACPolicyLink,
    msExchRMSComputerAccountsBL,msExchRMSComputerAccountsLink,msExchRecipLimit,
    msExchRecipientDisplayType,msExchRecipientTypeDetails,
    msExchRecipientValidatorCookies,msExchRemoteRecipientType,
    msExchRequireAuthToSendTo,msExchResourceCapacity,msExchResourceDisplay,
    msExchResourceGUID,msExchResourceMetaData,msExchResourceProperties,
    msExchResourceSearchProperties,msExchRetentionComment,msExchRetentionURL,
    msExchSMTPReceiveDefaultAcceptedDomainBL,msExchSafeRecipientsHash,
    msExchSafeSendersHash,msExchSendAsAddresses,msExchSenderHintTranslations,
    msExchServerAdminDelegationBL,msExchServerAssociationBL,
    msExchServerAssociationLink,msExchServerSiteBL,msExchSetupStatus,
    msExchShadowAssistantName,msExchShadowC,msExchShadowCo,msExchShadowCompany,
    msExchShadowCountryCode,msExchShadowDepartment,msExchShadowDisplayName,
    msExchShadowFacsimileTelephoneNumber,msExchShadowGivenName,msExchShadowHomePhone,
    msExchShadowInfo,msExchShadowInitials,msExchShadowL,msExchShadowMailNickname,
    msExchShadowManagerLink,msExchShadowMobile,msExchShadowOtherFacsimileTelephone,
    msExchShadowOtherHomePhone,msExchShadowOtherTelephone,msExchShadowPager,
    msExchShadowPhysicalDeliveryOfficeName,msExchShadowPostalCode,
    msExchShadowProxyAddresses,msExchShadowSn,msExchShadowSt,
    msExchShadowStreetAddress,msExchShadowTelephoneAssistant,
    msExchShadowTelephoneNumber,msExchShadowTitle,msExchShadowWWWHomePage,
    msExchShadowWindowsLiveID,msExchSharingAnonymousIdentities,
    msExchSharingPartnerIdentities,msExchSharingPolicyLink,msExchSignupAddresses,
    msExchSupervisionDLBL,msExchSupervisionDLLink,msExchSupervisionOneOffBL,
    msExchSupervisionOneOffLink,msExchSupervisionUserBL,msExchSupervisionUserLink,
    msExchSyncAccountsPolicyDN,msExchTUIPassword,msExchTUISpeed,msExchTUIVolume,
    msExchTextMessagingState,msExchThrottlingPolicyDN,msExchTransportInboundSettings,
    msExchTransportOutboundSettings,msExchTransportRecipientSettingsFlags,
    msExchUCVoiceMailSettings,msExchUMAddresses,msExchUMAudioCodec,
    msExchUMAudioCodec2,msExchUMCallingLineIDs,msExchUMDtmfMap,msExchUMEnabledFlags,
    msExchUMEnabledFlags2,msExchUMFaxId,msExchUMListInDirectorySearch,
    msExchUMMailboxOVALanguage,msExchUMMaxGreetingDuration,msExchUMOperatorNumber,
    msExchUMPhoneProvider,msExchUMPinChecksum,msExchUMRecipientDialPlanLink,
    msExchUMServerWritableFlags,msExchUMSpokenName,msExchUMTemplateLink,
    msExchUnmergedAttsPt,msExchUsageLocation,msExchUseOAB,msExchUserAccountControl,
    msExchUserBL,msExchUserCulture,msExchVersion,msExchVoiceMailboxID,
    msExchWhenMailboxCreated,msExchWindowsLiveID,msOrg-GroupSubtypeName,
    msOrg-IsOrganizational,msOrg-Leaders,msOrg-LeadersBL,msOrg-OtherDisplayNames,
    msRADIUS-FramedIpv6Route,msRADIUS-SavedFramedIpv6Route,msRTCSIP-AcpInfo,
    msRTCSIP-ApplicationOptions,msRTCSIP-ArchivingEnabled,msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator,
    msRTCSIP-FederationEnabled,msRTCSIP-GroupingID,msRTCSIP-InternetAccessEnabled,
    msRTCSIP-Line,msRTCSIP-LineServer,msRTCSIP-OptionFlags,msRTCSIP-OriginatorSid,
    msRTCSIP-OwnerUrn,msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer,msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress,
    msRTCSIP-PrivateLine,msRTCSIP-TargetHomeServer,msRTCSIP-TargetUserPolicies,
    msRTCSIP-TenantId,msRTCSIP-UserEnabled,msRTCSIP-UserExtension,
    msRTCSIP-UserLocationProfile,msRTCSIP-UserPolicies,msRTCSIP-UserPolicy,
    msSFU30Aliases,msSFU30Name,msSFU30NisDomain,msSFU30PosixMember,
    msSFU30PosixMemberOf,networkAddress,nisMapName,oOFReplyToOriginator,otherMailbox,
    pOPCharacterSet,pOPContentFormat,personalPager,photo,preferredLanguage,
    promoExpiration,protocolSettings,publicDelegates,publicDelegatesBL,
    registeredAddress,replicatedObjectVersion,replicationSensitivity,
    replicationSignature,reportToOriginator,reportToOwner,roomNumber,secretary,
    securityProtocol,shadowExpire,shadowFlag,shadowInactive,shadowLastChange,
    shadowMax,shadowMin,shadowWarning,submissionContLength,supportedAlgorithms,
    targetAddress,telephoneAssistant,textEncodedORAddress,trackingLogPathName,type,
    uid,uidNumber,unauthOrig,unauthOrigBL,unixHomeDirectory,unixUserPassword,
    unmergedAtts,userPKCS12,userSMIMECertificate,
    x500uniqueIdentifier

I triple checked the ADMT Whitepaper for the requirements in the source Domain, target Domain and on the ADMT machine. I was not able to find any errors. Why the exclusion fields are not filled in the ADMT database is beyond my understanding. The same is with the huge number of excluded attributes. I thought apart from the 2 attributes mentioned in the Whitepaper and the attributes which are not existing in the target Domain, ADMT will migrate all attributes and you have to exclude the ones you don´t need. For me it seems to work the other way round.

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:14 PM

Answers

• It seems to me "Error 0x80004005 " indicates that ADMT is not able to store the exclusions in his database because there are to many. ADMT uses for this a record "AccountOptions.ExcludedSystemProps" of type sql_variant in the table "dbo.Settings" of the ADMT database. This record type can't be larger than 8016 bytes. Normaly the exclusions list is created by ADMT at first use and includes all attributes that are not part of the base schema. Since it is not able to store it in the database it generates this list every time you migrate a user. I would suggest to make a shorter exclusions list and store it in the database by a vbscript.
    This script could contain:
    Set objMig = CreateObject("ADMT.Migration")
    objMig.SystemPropertiesToExclude="HomeMDB,HomeMTA,showInAddressBook,msExchHomeServerName,mail,proxyAddresses,textEncodedORAddress"

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the log details, some attributes cannot be migrated due to the Schema version difference. The system attribute exclusion list contains two attributes by default: mail and proxyAddresses. ADMT also reads the schema in the target domain. If the target domain schema is further extended, it adds any attributes to the list that are not part of the base schema. Attributes in this list are excluded from migration operations even if the attribute is not specified in the attribute exclusion list.

Please refer the ADMT migration guide.  Go to  Attributes that are always excluded by the system” section. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6D710919-1BA5-41CA-B2F3-C11BCB4857AF&displaylang=en

I would like to suggest you go through the below thread for more helpful information:

ADMT 3.2 seems to set the audit directory access value to no auditing

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverMigration/thread/9698a341-bbb1-49ac-80f5-d39549b85684/#7edb03ea-1cb8-4801-bbec-7d06fdbb38a2

Regards,

Yan Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here .

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by VenkatSP Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

I cannot see that the reason "Schema version difference" is mentioned in the Log I posted. How do you come to this conclusion?

As I posted above, the system attribute exclusion list does not contain anything for me. I know what´s written in the ADMT Whitepaper. I´ve read it completely before I started installing the ADMT and I read several of the chapters multiple times. Of course it´s still possible that I miss something.

Just in case I did not express myself correctly in the initial post.

My main interests are in these 2 areas:

1. ADMT is not saving the exclusion list in the Database, as the error message in the 1st line states. Why is this happening and how can I make it working?

2. It´s excluding many attributes which exist in the source and target domain and I do not see a reason in the message why this happens.

I will double check the thread you linked to, but it seems like these people had problems with the ADMT auto preparation of the AD. I did all this manually as stated in the ADMT guide.

What I also find strange is, that if you search in the Internet for the Error Code (Line1 of my log), there are several people asking what it´s about, but nobody ever has an answer to that :-(

You mentioned the AD schema version, although I cannot see any hint for that in the Log I posted. But I´ve seen that the source Domain is on 2008 R2 Level and the Target Domain still on 2003 level. All Attributes I need are present in the Target Domain, but is the Domain level really the problem for the AD attribute problem (not the DB problem of course)?

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

It's a general code, we could not get more clues from it.

Please check the following points:

1. Validate trust between domains
    2. Turn off TCP Checksum Offload / SMB2.0 on both side
    3. Disable any password sync program/ security software or firewall

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 04, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your response.

1. The trust looks good to me. It´s a one-way, external, non-transitive trust where the source Domain trusts the target Domain. We successfully authenticate (existing) Users from the target Domain on Servers in our source Domain. And after doing some test migrations with User Accounts and the SIDHistory, they can authenticate without problems to Servers and Services in the source Domain. All this makes me confident, that the trust is working as it should.
    2. I´ll look that up and check what it does first. I cannot find a hint about that setting in the ADMT Whitepaper and need to get back with the Domain Admin of the target Domain also to make that change.
    3. I´m not sure what you mean with the password sync program. The only thing running is the Password Export Server on a Server in the source Domain. But as far as I know I need this one to migrate User accounts and keep their passwords. Firewalls are an option, I could disable it remporary on the source and target DC selected in the ADMT when migrating a User.

I´ll update this thread as soon as I have done the necessary changes and tests.

Edit: Is there a chance to get verbose logging which tells us why the ADMT is not writing to the ADMT Database (at least not the excluded Properties fields)?

Monday, March 04, 2013 1:53 PM
  • It seems to me "Error 0x80004005 " indicates that ADMT is not able to store the exclusions in his database because there are to many. ADMT uses for this a record "AccountOptions.ExcludedSystemProps" of type sql_variant in the table "dbo.Settings" of the ADMT database. This record type can't be larger than 8016 bytes. Normaly the exclusions list is created by ADMT at first use and includes all attributes that are not part of the base schema. Since it is not able to store it in the database it generates this list every time you migrate a user. I would suggest to make a shorter exclusions list and store it in the database by a vbscript.
    This script could contain:
    Set objMig = CreateObject("ADMT.Migration")
    objMig.SystemPropertiesToExclude="HomeMDB,HomeMTA,showInAddressBook,msExchHomeServerName,mail,proxyAddresses,textEncodedORAddress"

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:19 PM
  • I created a manual exclusion like you mention and it´s indeed stored in the SQL Table. And now I can include / exclude Attributes also via the GUI and they are stored in the SQL Table. It looks like it needed that "initial" manual intervention to initialize the table / field properly. Now it just works :-)
    Monday, August 05, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Do you happen to have the VB script to do this with? I do not know how to write VB.  This error is killing me.

My schema is different, 56 vs 44

HELP!!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:11 AM