none
Mdt 2012 WDS sharing to lab and offline switch

Question

• Hey guys,
    I think i have a somewhat unique scenario. I have mdt and wds working together to image. They boot image from mdt into boot images in wds. But heres the deal, i want it to multicast off of our network to about 15 laptops. I want to plug wds directly into an unmanaged switch, and the laptops connect them as well, and make it all work so the whole things is entirely offline. The server has two nics, so far i have one on our corporate domain which also is a dhcp server, and i have it binded to the second nic which is hard static assigned and plugged into the switch. I thought in theory this would work but the clients still arent recieving it as dhcp
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I noticed the following description:

I want it to multicast off of our network to about 15 laptops. I want to plug WDS directly into an unmanaged switch, and the laptops connect them as well, and make it all work so the whole thing is entirely offline.

At first, I don’t think multicast for 15 laptops is fine. I think you could refer to the link below to view the prerequisites of performing multicast deployment:

Title: Performing Multicast Deployments
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637994(v=ws.10)

You mean you would like to make the network OS installation entirely offline? Please provide more information about your scenario.

Since the image files are stored on the server side, it will take a period of time to download the image file to continue the installation.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 01, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi James, it doesnt have to be multicast, so i retract that requirement. What i really want, is for the images to install direcrly from the 2nd nic of the server to the switch and then down to the computers connected to the switch. Right now it works fine, normal pxe booting off of our network as plugged into the corporate lan on nic one, because wds has to be on the domain its my understanding that the corp nic has to stay plugged in, so again i just want to send it to an offline gig switch from the second nic
    Friday, June 01, 2012 6:19 AM
  • did that explanation make sense? can you help me?
    Friday, June 01, 2012 2:57 PM
  • . I want to plug wds directly into an unmanaged switch, and the laptops connect them as well, and make it all work so the whole things is entirely offline. The server has two nics, so far i have one on our corporate domain which also is a dhcp server, and i have it binded to the second nic which is hard static assigned and plugged into the switch. I thought in theory this would work but the clients still arent recieving it as dhcp

I'm not sure what you mean by offline. WDS is a domain server role. Do you mean you want to deploy WDS images to workgroup clients?

You need to enable DHCP on the 2nd NIC in order PXE boot and deploy images via WDS. Did you want to assign the clients static IP Address's?

You should bind that 2nd nic to a dhcp scope if you want it to lease ip addresses.

Hope this helps.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hey Andrew, i want to do so because our corporate domain is really slow and congested. It is mpls 3mb circuit serving 30 schools, also the switches internally are not gigabit. So the scenario we need is a lab scenario, where we have a switch and we send the images to the switch on the second nic so that it is not touching the main network. I tried to bind it, and created static connection on that nic and a dhcp scope but it still didnt work, wds kept looking to the domain corp network
    Friday, June 01, 2012 9:59 PM