none
Windows 2008 R2 [Service Pack 1] Installation Stuck at 15% configuring Service Pack

Question

• I tried to upgrade one of my servers to Service Pack 1 and now its been stuck for more then 20 hours at the booting up "Configuring Service Pack" and stay at 15%. Do I have any options with this server?
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:54 PM

All replies

• Has the update readiness tool been run on this server?

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

I just installed SP1 on four VM guests but I ran this tool prior and no problems installing service pack.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Has the update readiness tool been run on this server?

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

I just installed SP1 on four VM guests but I ran this tool prior and no problems installing service pack.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

I did run the tool prior to installing Service Pack 1.

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Depending on the urgency of the server you may want to call Microsoft product support.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Depending on the urgency of the server you may want to call Microsoft product support.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Anything else I could try? Try are the updates getting stuck on this server?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:47 AM
  • You could try rebooting but the result may be unrecoverable. Best to make the call.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:51 AM
  • Hi,

Since you had run the System Update Readiness Tool before you tried to install SP1, did any error appear in %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log?

Tim Quan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

Since you had run the System Update Readiness Tool before you tried to install SP1, did any error appear in %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log?

Tim Quan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
    Package Version 11.0
    2011-02-27 22:46

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 339
     No errors detected
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:20 PM
  • I had to boot using windows 2008 r2 cd, and rename pending.xml file to get windows to boot. I tried to reinstall Service Pack 1 and keeps on getting stuck at 15%. Seems that this os gets stuck all the time at Configuring updates when booting.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

If this is not a DC, I suggest entering the system, performing an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008 R2 and then trying to install SP1 again.

Tim Quan

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:50 AM
  • I was able to update two R2 server to SP1 with no troubles. This last one running the DC, wont take any updates all freezes at booting Windows.

I would really enjoy to get this guy fixed...

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:34 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem on one VM (stuck at 15%) and on host (stuck at 15%)!!!
    I run the tool before installing SP1. CheckSUR.log reports no errors.

Thanks for help in advance!!!

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now I suggest entering the system first, restarting the computer and then trying the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: Rename Windows Update Temporary folders
    1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop Cryptsvc
    cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
    rd /s /q DataStore
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.
    4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 2: System File Checker

==================

1.  Click Start, type cmd and press Enter

2.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Step 2: Clean Boot

============

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" in the search bar and press Enter.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System"

4. Test if we can update the system in Clean Boot.

Note 1: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Note 2: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

What’s the result now?

Tim Quan

Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now I suggest entering the system first, restarting the computer and then trying the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: Rename Windows Update Temporary folders
    1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop Cryptsvc
    cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
    rd /s /q DataStore
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.
    4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 2: System File Checker

==================

1.  Click Start, type cmd and press Enter

2.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Step 2: Clean Boot

============

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" in the search bar and press Enter.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System"

4. Test if we can update the system in Clean Boot.

Note 1: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Note 2: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

What’s the result now?

Tim Quan

Thank you for advice,

I have tried what you suggested. And I am afraid no luck. This time Windows got frozen at rebooting after service pack needed its first reboot. So I had no hold down the power button on the server. When server booted back up the windows was getting frozen at 15% configuring updates.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now could you please upload the CBS.log file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=813f6333-8dac-43e1-a8c2-f769f67b6161  ?

Password: %g!{J]q+_g{Bz%My

Tim Quan

Monday, March 07, 2011 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now could you please upload the CBS.log file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=813f6333-8dac-43e1-a8c2-f769f67b6161   ?

Password: %g!{J]q+_g{Bz%My

Tim Quan

The Log file is been uploaded.

Monday, March 07, 2011 12:52 PM
  • We tried to copy VM to other clean server with updated host to sp1. When we tried to update VM to SP1, we got the same result. Update stucked at 15%.

Thanks for help!

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:41 AM
  • From looking at the CBS logs you uploaded,

We are stuck here,

2011-03-07 05:58:59, Info                  CBS    Running poqexec with: C:\Windows\System32\poqexec.exe /noreboot /transaction 32080 /display_progress \SystemRoot\WinSxS\pending.xml
    2011-03-07 05:58:59, Info                  CBS    Waiting for poqexec.exe to complete...
    2011-03-07 05:58:59, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 1 out of 1. Percent progress: 15.
    2011-03-07 05:59:04, Info                  CBS    Waiting for poqexec.exe to complete...
    2011-03-07 05:59:09, Info                  CBS    Waiting for poqexec.exe to complete...
    <<repeat>>

Looks Like POQEXEC is non –responsive which is causing Spinstaller to wait at 15 %

Please UPLOAD the following logs
    [if you have renamed the following , please rename them back]

%windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if it exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml (if it exists)

Once we have the above logs restored

Please run the following command from WINRE
    DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

This will roll back whatever changes was done till 15 %  and bring back the system to the original State.

Once that is done
    1.Run sfc  and Checksur http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    2.Run Windows update
    3.Update Drivers

Then attempt to install SP1

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:40 AM
  • From looking at the CBS logs you uploaded,

We are stuck here,

2011-03-07 05:58:59, Info                  CBS    Running poqexec with: C:\Windows\System32\poqexec.exe /noreboot /transaction 32080 /display_progress \SystemRoot\WinSxS\pending.xml
    2011-03-07 05:58:59, Info                  CBS    Waiting for poqexec.exe to complete...
    2011-03-07 05:58:59, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 1 out of 1. Percent progress: 15.
    2011-03-07 05:59:04, Info                  CBS    Waiting for poqexec.exe to complete...
    2011-03-07 05:59:09, Info                  CBS    Waiting for poqexec.exe to complete...
    <<repeat>>

Looks Like POQEXEC is non –responsive which is causing Spinstaller to wait at 15 %

Please UPLOAD the following logs
    [if you have renamed the following , please rename them back]

Once we have the above logs restored

Please run the following command from WINRE
    DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

This will roll back whatever changes was done till 15 %  and bring back the system to the original State.

Once that is done
    1.Run sfc /Checksur
    2.Run Windows update
    3.Update Drivers

Then attempt to install SP1

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support

I have uploaded the two log files;

Thank you

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Wereyou able to install SP1 after running /revertpending actions, CheckSUR??

Friday, March 18, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have an update on this issue?

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Wereyou able to install SP1 after running /revertpending actions, CheckSUR??

The command sfc /Checksur doesnt work....
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:07 PM
  • My Bad, these are two different tools. you can download Checksur here:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:18 AM
  • My Bad, these are two different tools. you can download Checksur here:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Still no luck....
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Please confirm that you have rolled back the changes using /revertpendingactions

Please get me %windir%\logs\cbs\checksur.log

Does one of the registry values below exist on this system?
    a.HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\@CorruptPendingXml (REG_SZ)
    b.HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\@CorruptPendingXmlIdentifiers (REG_SZ)
    c.HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\@CorruptWinners (REG_SZ)

More troubleshooting options are available in:
    Advanced guidelines for diagnosing and fixing servicing corruption
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(WS.10).aspx

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Dear Customer,

Your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:40 AM
  • I am having the same problem at a client of ours. This install occurred automatically through SBS 2008 WSUS update services. No prior readiness was performed, and no one seems to have approved the update. Rollback seems to work.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Tried in place upgrade, still no go :(
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:40 AM
  • My DC was freezing at 15% too.  I ended up booting to safe mode (which cancelled the service pack installation) then restarted the server.  It booted up properly this time but with no service pack.  Will try putting the service pack on again when i can afford to have the DC offline if it happens again.

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

May take a look at:

Common errors during Service Pack or windows update deployment and how to resolve them.

http://www.spaskaloferov.com/blog/?p=28

Will appreciate if you give feedback if this has helped you.

Best Regards,

Spas Kaloferov

[ MCITP: SA7 | EA7 | VA7 | EDA7 |DBA10 | DBD10 | BID10 | EMA14 | SPA14  ]

NetShell Services & Solutions | “Design the future with simplicity and elegance”

www: www.spaskaloferov.com | www: www.netshell-solutions.com

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Hello Alex,

did You resolved this issue? I have same problem on 2 Windows 7 machines. I know this thread is more than 1 year old :)

Regards,

Jarda

Sunday, May 06, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Not yet. Still trying.
    Monday, May 07, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hello,

my SBS 20011 was also standing @ 15% after the install and the first reboot.

I waited for about 1 hour, and now the setup is @ 16% and after 10 mintues waitung @ 19% and rebooting.

So i think u only have to wait a little more than some minutes.

Greetings

Andre

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:49 AM
  • I can't believe that it is a year later and this is still an issue. when is MS going to get their crap together?

I have this exact problem, except I didnt mean to install the update. it was hidden in a bunch of other basic updates. going on 16 hours for this patch. have to reboot and get them up within 1/2 an hour. fun.

---------------------------------------- The key to success is many failures.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:26 PM
  • well i rebooted, it went back to the same page, but this time went right through. 30 minutes late, but at least they are up and running.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:38 PM
  • well i rebooted, it went back to the same page, but this time went right through. 30 minutes late, but at least they are up and running.

I did encounter the same issue last night, after browsing this thread, I snapshot on my machine and power down my VM, later I restart, and within 1 hour, the configuration process complete and everything were working good. 

It was a nightmare tho. That was the only AD.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:02 AM
  • HI All

I had similar issue, When i 1st encountered this issue the serve was fully in hung state and not responsive ,I am running on windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 on a VM environment.

It was stuck in the 15% of the patch after we installed the SP1 and @ the log on page it shows " DO not shut down the system updating in progress 15% " after research i had rebooted in safe mode and disabled windows update and rebooted normally and checked the system but i was in vein, later collected the memory dump of the file and found spinlock of poqexec.exe this file and i tried this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533552/en-us

and yes it fixed my issue

Enjoy...!!

Friday, January 03, 2014 3:22 PM
  • HI All

I had similar issue, When i 1st encountered this issue the serve was fully in hung state and not responsive ,I am running on windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 on a VM environment.

It was stuck in the 15% of the patch after we installed the SP1 and @ the log on page it shows " DO not shut down the system updating in progress 15% " after research i had rebooted in safe mode and disabled windows update and rebooted normally and checked the system but i was in vein, later collected the memory dump of the file and found spinlock of poqexec.exe this file and i tried this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533552/en-us

and yes it fixed my issue

Enjoy...!!

Thanks but no go :(
    Monday, July 14, 2014 11:59 PM