none
WSUS 3.0 SP1 - How to Add Client Computers

Question

• Hi Guys,

This is probably a silly question but i cannot find the answer im looking for anywhere, so hear it goes.

How do the client computers get added to the unassigned computers group in WSUS 30. SP1?  We are using client side targeting so there are no GPO settings being used. 

The reason i ask is that we have servers in our AD environment that are added automatically and i see that it is not OU based.  How do i configure the workstations to be added to the list also?  ATM only our servers get added to the list.  Does it have something to do with Automatic Updates settings on the w/s?  I have a w/s here that has the Automatic Updates greyed out even though i am logged in as local admin and the w/s is not in the list.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be used to give me a greater understanding of WSUS.

Regards,

Friday, January 06, 2012 6:06 AM

Answers

• How do the client computers get added to the unassigned computers group in WSUS 30. SP1?

We are using client side targeting so there are no GPO settings being used.

Well, actually, that statement is fundamentally inconsistent. Client-Side Targeting requires that groups be assigned via GPO, and in that scenario the Unassigned Computers group is not used.

When the clients are not assigned to a group via GPO, they will be populated into Unassigned Computers -- but if the server is configured to use Client-Side Targeting, you cannot change that from the console.

If the clients are not assigned to a group via GPO, and the WSUS server is configured to use Server-Side Targeting, then you change group memberships from the console, and all computers will be initially added to Unassigned Computers.

The reason i ask is that we have servers in our AD environment that are added automatically and i see that it is not OU based.  How do i configure the workstations to be added to the list also?

The easy way would be to clone the server GPO to the clients. If it's working, use it!

The following resources should be reviewed to understand target groups in WSUS and the configuration of the WUAgent to use them:

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    • Marked as answer by Angelo AA Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:32 AM
    Friday, January 06, 2012 6:36 PM