none
Folder Security in Window Server 2008

Question

• Hi, I have created some folders in the Server 2008 in office network, where some staff can be able to view the files only and some are able to amend.

However, I noticed that, even I untick delete in the security, staff who can amend the files can also delete them. Where I can
    set that they can amend without the right to delete?

Thanks!

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You are correct that some Word/Excel temp files will not be deleted. Word/Excel makes a copy of the file and then replaces the original on exit, hence as you’ve granted the users Deny-Delete, they cannot delete the temp files. A possible workaround is to give "CreatorOwner" Delete permission so temp files created by editor could be deleted but other files not.

Thanks
    ZHANG

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I did a simple test. In my test, I simply grant a user Full Control on a folder. Then, in Advanced Security Tab, deny the following entries:

Delete
    Delete sub folders and files
    Take Ownership
    Change Permission

The result is, the user can modify the document but when he tries to delete it, it fails. Check if it works in your environment.

Thanks
    ZHANG

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Thanks Zhang.

However there are many ~temp files created if files being modified by the user. It is normal? 

In that case, many ~temp files will be saved in the server, any better methods to do management? 

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, that’s true.  A temp file will be created when opening a document like Office Word, Excel etc. But the temp files should be gone when documents are closed.

Thanks
    ZHANG

Friday, February 24, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Yes But i found there are some files still there even the file is closed.

Like ~$test, ~WRD0001.tmp

(the user is set with the permission with deny in delete, delete subfolder etc... like the solution you mentioned above)

Friday, February 24, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hello,

You are correct that some Word/Excel temp files will not be deleted. Word/Excel makes a copy of the file and then replaces the original on exit, hence as you’ve granted the users Deny-Delete, they cannot delete the temp files. A possible workaround is to give "CreatorOwner" Delete permission so temp files created by editor could be deleted but other files not.

Thanks
    ZHANG

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:15 AM