none
DNS name resolution

Question

• Hi,

We have 2 production domain controller server 1)window server 2012 (192.168.1.12) and all the 5 roles are installed in this server and also DNS and GC.

2)we installed 2003 R2(192.168.1.13) stand by server in this only DNS and GC.

But now when ever we try to enter nslookup to xxx.com (our domain name).it will shows only my stand by server ip (192.168.1.13) .it not showing my primary DC ip (192.168.1.12)

We check our dns SOA -->name server in this both domain are listed and resolve properly in both the servers.

Kindly help me how to rectify this issue

Regards, Velu M

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:08 PM

Answers

• >> Kindly help me how to rectify this issue

Check your client DNS settings.  Are they pointing to the 2003 R2 DNS server as primary?

IT Knowledge Base | itgeared.com |

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:31 PM
  • On your DCs, please start with the following:

1. Make sure that each DC has only one NIC card enabled (Other NICs should be disabled) and only one IP address in use
    2. Make each DC points to the other one as primary DNS server, its private IP address as secondary one and 127.0.0.1 as third one
    3. Make sure that public DNS servers are configured as forwarders and not in IP settings of DCs
    4. Make sure that needed ports for AD replication are opened in both directions and not filtered: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727063.aspx PortQryUI should be helpful for checks
    5. If there is wrong / obsolete DNS records for your DCs, please remove them manually

Once done, run ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon on each DC you have. After that, please run dcdiag and repadmin commands to check DCs health status and AD replication status.

For client computers, please make them point to the DCs as primary and secondary DNS servers.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:02 PM

• But now when ever we try to enter nslookup to xxx.com (our domain name).it will shows only my stand by server ip (192.168.1.13) .it not showing my primary DC ip (192.168.1.12)

as jorgeM suggest, check client DNS settings.

run ipconfig /all and check the order listing for the IP Address of your DNS Servers.

make sure that the first DNS on the list is your primary DC.

Have you check your DHCP server settings?

Every second counts..make use of it.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:39 AM

All replies

• >> Kindly help me how to rectify this issue

Check your client DNS settings.  Are they pointing to the 2003 R2 DNS server as primary?

IT Knowledge Base | itgeared.com |

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:31 PM
  • On your DCs, please start with the following:

1. Make sure that each DC has only one NIC card enabled (Other NICs should be disabled) and only one IP address in use
    2. Make each DC points to the other one as primary DNS server, its private IP address as secondary one and 127.0.0.1 as third one
    3. Make sure that public DNS servers are configured as forwarders and not in IP settings of DCs
    4. Make sure that needed ports for AD replication are opened in both directions and not filtered: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727063.aspx PortQryUI should be helpful for checks
    5. If there is wrong / obsolete DNS records for your DCs, please remove them manually

Once done, run ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon on each DC you have. After that, please run dcdiag and repadmin commands to check DCs health status and AD replication status.

For client computers, please make them point to the DCs as primary and secondary DNS servers.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:02 PM

• But now when ever we try to enter nslookup to xxx.com (our domain name).it will shows only my stand by server ip (192.168.1.13) .it not showing my primary DC ip (192.168.1.12)

as jorgeM suggest, check client DNS settings.

run ipconfig /all and check the order listing for the IP Address of your DNS Servers.

make sure that the first DNS on the list is your primary DC.

Have you check your DHCP server settings?

Every second counts..make use of it.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:39 AM