none
Rebooting to recovery mode loop

Question

• Hello,

i'm in a pretty big pickle at work.  we had what looks to be a HDD failure on our server, attempted to use recovery to fix it with no luck.  so a new hdd was installed and a fresh install went as expected.  once the drivers for the raid setup (amcc 9500s-8) were installed the system rebooted and went right back into recovery mode.  ive tried using bootrec to rebuild the MBR with no luck.  it seems that there is something on the raid array that causes the system to go into recovery. i have done 4 fresh installs today and no problem running and getting going, but as soon as the raid card is plugged in its like it has copied something to the os drive.

the only way to boot after this happens is to use Last Known Good, but that removes the raid driver from the os again.  i would just rebuild the raid array and start completely fresh but we have critical files that have not yet been backed up on it.  Thank you for any insight you may have.

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'd get in touch with the raid manufacturer about a compatability issue, firmware update or possibly a driver update.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Commonly we setup raid before installing the OS and you can manually load the raid driver during the OS installation. Does it make any difference? Consult the 3ware support for help.
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:45 PM
  • I would agree with others.

You will need to configure your RAID before installing your OS. You can contact your manufactuer to get more details about it and to get the most up-to-date version of the firmware.

Once you fix this and you will be able to run again the server, you can restore your configuration / files using a backup which was done before the crash.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:48 PM