none
DFSR design best practices: Discontiguous DFSR folders in the same replication group

Question

• I have setup a DFSR replication group as follows and was wanted to confirm this is inline with best practices:

• I have 3 servers in the same branch office. Each has a different folder I want to replicate.
    • I have one "hub" server in a different office where I want to replicate all the folders to.
    • I setup one replication group between the 4 servers.
    • In the replication group each of the three branch office servers has a connection to the hub for only their respective folders
    • The folders the branch office servers are not replicating were left as not defined.

Is this OK? It seems to work great, but the only thing I was concerned about was the undefined folder connections. I haven't read anything saying you shouldn't do this and Windows hasn't logged any events telling me it doesn't like it.

Friday, June 28, 2013 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is fine.

Or you could simply create 3 replication groups and one for each pair. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by red888 Monday, July 01, 2013 5:02 PM
    Monday, July 01, 2013 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is fine.

Or you could simply create 3 replication groups and one for each pair. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by red888 Monday, July 01, 2013 5:02 PM
    Monday, July 01, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Thank you very much for the reply. I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something stupid.

After posting this I did some more googling and read on an MS tech blog they say it is preferred to do it that way(one folder per replication group), but for my case one replication group works really well and looks cleaner.

Monday, July 01, 2013 5:02 PM