none
Windows Server 2008 Log Off

Question

• I've noticed that if you RDC into a Windows 2008 server, check what you need to check on and then want to log off, you get a message to terminate programs running before you log off.  If you say no, it pops you back in the the Win Server 2008 screen.  The act of logging off terminates any program you may have running, which is bad in this case becuase the server needs to have a networked accounting software program running at all times, so the network and remote users can access it.

Does anyone know any way around this?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi JimOrion,

I am bit confused with the explanation

when you say " If you say no, it pops you back in the server 2008 screen " and then you said " The act of logging off terminates any program..." i would like to know what is the behavior happening in your environment , even though you click NO does your server still logs off from the RDP session  ?

sainath !analyze
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Thanks Sainath,

If you say no to the screen prompt "do you want to terminate programs running before you log off" the screnn prompt goes away and you are still on the server desktop (you have not logged off).  The only option to get out (log off) is to say yes.   

This behavior is different from Server 2003, which allows you to log off without affecting the programs or screens you had open.  You could have 3 screens open with explorer looking at different folders and if you log out and back in, you would see the same 3 screens you had open.

The act of logging off from a RDC connection to the Server2008, closes your windows and any programs you had running.

I am using RDC from my desktop to log-in remotely to a Terminal Server set up at a client and using the Terminal Server desktop to RDC into the Server 2008 running the Accouting App to check/verify a few things and then get back out.

The log off routine of the Server2008 is definetely not better than Server2003 (in my opinion).
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:07 PM