none
Poor transfer speeds over WAN (Server 2008)

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows server 2008 VM running in Australia and another one in the USA.

They are connected over the Internet via an IPSec VPN, typical latency is around 160ms

When I attempt to transfer files between the two servers the max speed I get is around 500Kbs. This is well below the speeds I should reach.  This is using FTP or normal windows file transfers.

Now, I also have multiple Linux based VMs running in the same virtual environment as the Windows ones, and when I transfer between the Linux machines I can get 5MB/s transfer rate.  So please do not blame this speed on 'the network' or the virtual environment because clearly I can get much faster transfer.

So, I have mucked around with numerous registry settings on the windows servers, from this link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee377084.aspx

I have done EnablePMTUDiscovery, Tcp1323Opts, TcpWindowSize, and also disabled tcp/ip auto tuning with the 'netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled' command.  Nothing I do makes any difference.

Wireshark captures don't so any retransmits or TCP resets, or really anything out of the ordinary.

This seems to be common issue, there are numerous threads on this forum about this topic, and also on other sites... I'm hoping someone can assist here, are there any other suggestions?

thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:35 AM

All replies