none
Folder Redirection & Recycle Bin

Question

• People who are using Folder Redirection, what are ya'll doing about the redirected recycle bin? Do ya'll just accept that n% of space is going to be wasted by the users redirected recycle bins or is there another option? I found this link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/ae07d8be-2339-4522-a3f5-2417c4858f8f/ at the forum here but it does not appear to work for me.  I've read that you can force the recycle bin to take at little as 1% of the volume where the documents are redirected to but this is still a alot of wasted storage space. Any suggestions/recommendations are appreicated.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:45 AM

Answers

• If you redirect "My Documents" Recycle Bin can become an issue (wasting tons of expensive server disk space).

You can control Recycle Bin behavior with this key:
    "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\@
    NukeOnDelete=1
    would disable usage of RecycleBin for Redirected Folders. I recommended to do this.
    You can create a ADM/ADMX template to offer it via GPEDIT.

Usually other techniques are available on the server to ensure file backups are available and can be restored (e.g. ShadowCopy).
    Patrick
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:22 AM
  • The same NukeOnDelete key can also be used on subkeys of BitBucket (I've seen it as Known Folders or Volume) allowing you to turn off the behavior for specific folders rather than for the computer. The folder names are GUIDs so some experimentation might be required to find the correct one but the GUIDs are consistent from computer to computer.

Guy
    Friday, November 06, 2009 5:22 PM

All replies

• If you redirect "My Documents" Recycle Bin can become an issue (wasting tons of expensive server disk space).

You can control Recycle Bin behavior with this key:
    "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\@
    NukeOnDelete=1
    would disable usage of RecycleBin for Redirected Folders. I recommended to do this.
    You can create a ADM/ADMX template to offer it via GPEDIT.

Usually other techniques are available on the server to ensure file backups are available and can be restored (e.g. ShadowCopy).
    Patrick
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:22 AM
  • The same NukeOnDelete key can also be used on subkeys of BitBucket (I've seen it as Known Folders or Volume) allowing you to turn off the behavior for specific folders rather than for the computer. The folder names are GUIDs so some experimentation might be required to find the correct one but the GUIDs are consistent from computer to computer.

Guy
    Friday, November 06, 2009 5:22 PM
  • This NukeOnDelete key is really nice. However, I bring forth another conundrum... After redirecting My Documents, the user will have two Recycle Bins - one for local files, the other for redirected files. When the user browses to the Recycle Bin it automatically loads the redirected My Documents, but I can't find out how to access the local Recycle Bin. I understand that the local Recycle Bin is C:\Recycler, but it directory always appears empty. I know in the ideal environment, users shouldn't have access to delete files from the local system. There must be a way to allow the user to access the local Recycle Bin after redirecting My Documents (other than disabling the redirection and log out/in)...

Suggestions anyone?
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:04 PM
  • James, did you get a response from this post?
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:55 PM
  • A make the next ADM file. With this file in the policy it works perfect:

; Version 0.1, Productgroep ICT, JvdA
    ; If you put the policy KEYNAME  to the policies entry like “SOFTWARE\policies\etc”,
    ; it doesn’t work (the key is not copied to SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket).
    ;
    ; If you put the ADM-file to the administrative templates and you don’t see the settings of the policy,
    ; you must change the view: IN the “group policy object editor”, right click on administrative templates,
    ; go to view/filtering and turn off “Only show policy settings that can be fully managed”.

CLASS MACHINE
    CATEGORY !!WindowsComponents
    CATEGORY !!WindowsExplorer

POLICY !!RecycleDocuments
      EXPLAIN !!Recycle_Explain_documents
      KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket"
      VALUENAME "UseGlobalSettings"
       VALUEON NUMERIC 0
       VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1
     END POLICY
     POLICY !!RecycleMyDocuments
      EXPLAIN !!Recycle_Explain_MYdocuments
      KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\@"
      VALUENAME "NukeOnDelete"
       VALUEON NUMERIC 1
       VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0
     END POLICY
     POLICY !!SizeRecycleMyDocuments
      EXPLAIN !!SizeRecycle_Explain_MYdocuments
      KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\@"
      VALUENAME "percent"
       VALUEON NUMERIC "0"
       VALUEOFF NUMERIC "10"

END POLICY

END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY

[strings]
    WindowsComponents="Windows Components"
    WindowsExplorer="Windows Explorer"
    RecycleDocuments="Configure Drives independently to reclycle bin"
    Recycle_Explain_documents="If you turn this value on, you can configure drives independently when you moved files and to the recycle bin."
    RecycleMyDocuments="Do not move files from My Documents to recycle bin"
    Recycle_Explain_MYdocuments="If you turn this Value on, the files where not moved to the recycle bin. You must configure this isue together with the setting 'Configure Drives independently to reclycle bin' and 'Maximum size of Recycle bin (Percent of Drive)'"
    SizeRecycleMyDocuments="Maximum size of Recycle bin (Percent of Drive) of My Documents"
    SizeRecycle_Explain_MYdocuments="If you turn this VALUE on the maximun size is 0 MB. You must configure this isue together with the setting 'Configure Drives independently to reclycle bin' and 'Do not move files from My Documents to recycle bin'"

• Proposed as answer by TBone1985 Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:03 PM
    • Edited by JvdA Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:54 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:45 AM
  • So JvdA, how do you have your GP setup to work?  I've imported to adm file, but didn't know what the correct settings would be.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:05 PM
  • I edit the file a litle time later.... maybe you are to quick and have the old-version.

In the explain strings I write what the correct settings are.

Monday, April 26, 2010 1:40 PM
  • In case others are reading this thread, we did some work on this today.  Here is what we found out.

• Windows XP uses HKLM settings in the BitBucket folder listed at he locations above.  XP has a UseGlobalSettings key that can be disabled with a value of 0, then you can individually disable the Redirected Recycle Bins using the @ subkey.

• Windows 7 appears to store all the Redirected Recycle Bin settings in teh HKCU context.  We tried setting them in HKLM, but either the HKLM are not used or HKCU overrides them.  In Windows 7, each redirected recycle bin is listed in the KnownFolders SubKey.  The nice thing though, is that they are all created for you automatically.  So if you need to adjust them, just export the registry keys from a user with the Redirected Recycle Bins to get the GUID's and then user whatever registry tool to set these values per user (GPO Prefs, Default User Hive, logon script, etc).  In our environment, we have twelve redirected recycle bins, one for each redirected folder.

I hope this helps someone.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Managing the maximum allowed recycle bin sizes (for redirected folders) via HKCU (Knownfolders) registry value "MaxCapacity" seems to work perfectly (on Windows 7 - using preference settings - registry GPO), not only does it prevent future large recycle bins, it also shrinks the recycle bins to the size specified in the registry, which I didn't expect it to do, (I assumed I would have to run some kind of script to do that..). Áfter testing this feature I also noticed that it deletes the oldest files first in the recycle bin until the recycle bin is within the allowed size set through the registry value.

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Thanks for the information everyone!  I still had to do a little digging to set this up, so I've included additional information below:

1. The MaxCapacity value is located at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\KnownFolder\<GUID>
    2. In our environment, we only redirect the Desktop and Documents folders to the server.  The GUIDs for these are (the others are located at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb882665.aspx):
      1. Desktop: B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641
      2. Documents: FDD39AD0-238F-46AF-ADB4-6C85480369C7
    3. As an example, to set the redirected Desktop folder to only use up to 200mb, apply the following registry value:
      HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\KnownFolder\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\MaxCapacity=0xC8 (0xC8 is 200 in hex)
    4. I used Group Policy Preferences to push these changes out to our environment.
    5. In my testing, this did not immediately purge items in the Recycle Bin that were larger.  However, when I deleted a new item after this registry setting had been applied, the older items were immediately deleted from the Recycle Bin.

Good luck!

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Finaly found the answer to my own problem described here

Am I missing something here..?

Editing the registry values as above with gpo-preferences works just fine. And i can see, on my Windows 7 (64-bit), in properties on my Recycle Bin that the maximum size has changed for my redirected folders. In my case to 2000 MB from 22000 MB. But I can still delete files bigger than 2GB on the computers.. And old files does not disappear from the Recycle Bin..not even when deleting new ones as mentioned above..

Not untill i manually change the size of the Recycle Bin for the "Local Disk (C:)" i get some result.. then the oldest files disappear from the Recycle Bin until it´s size matches the limit. There doesn´t seem to be any way to set the limit size on the Recycle Bin for the C-drive with GPO/registry? I have searched every corner of the Internet without success for a solution.

It´s only files deleted from a redirected folder that ends up in the Recycle Bin of that directed folder. (Quite logical if one think about it..) In my tests with large files I saved the files in a test folder on C:\ and deleted them from there... thats why I could delete them even if they were bigger than the limit of the redirected Recycle Bin. And thats why they never disappeard from the Recycle Bin.. 

When you look in the Recycle Bin, normally placed on your desktop, you see all the deleted files no matter if the folder they been deleted from are redirected or not. But they will only disappear due to size limitations of the redirected Recycle Bins if they were deleted from a redirected folder..

If you choose to view the files in the Recycle Bin in detalied view you see this in the collumn "Original Location"

//Börn Persson

• Edited by Balloo Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:46 PM