none
2008 GPO Preferences\Windows Settings\Files not pushing out folders

Question

• I am using this with success but only for files. The whole directory of files comes but none of the Sub directory's or files in the sub directorys. Am i doing something silly here or is it not meant to be used this way.

Source: \\server\netlogon\push\*
    Destination: c:\files\
    • Edited by JustusIV Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:23 PM

Answers

• What do you expect?
    The GPP extension you use is called "Files".
    It will only copy files, but not inlude subdirectories within the source path.
    * is allowed as wildcard, but will only affect files.
    Documentation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772536.aspx only speaks of files,
    so it works as designed from MS point of view.

But you are right, I'd also embrace an option like "Include Subdirectories".
    Maybe this is not included as it could raise serious problems (network, performance, timeouts, etc.)
    when having lots of content (e.g. hundreds od megabyte) in a subdir.
    Anyway, as GPP is intended to reduce the need of scripting, it should be possible.
    Patrick
    • Marked as answer by JustusIV Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:17 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:27 AM

All replies

• What do you expect?
    The GPP extension you use is called "Files".
    It will only copy files, but not inlude subdirectories within the source path.
    * is allowed as wildcard, but will only affect files.
    Documentation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772536.aspx only speaks of files,
    so it works as designed from MS point of view.

But you are right, I'd also embrace an option like "Include Subdirectories".
    Maybe this is not included as it could raise serious problems (network, performance, timeouts, etc.)
    when having lots of content (e.g. hundreds od megabyte) in a subdir.
    Anyway, as GPP is intended to reduce the need of scripting, it should be possible.
    Patrick
    • Marked as answer by JustusIV Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:17 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:27 AM
  • So you would recommend just writing a batch file as a logon script then?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Yes, use login script or startup script (depending on the target path and needed permissions).
    Or, if you already use some means of software deployment (like SCCM) this can be an option.
    Patrick
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:41 PM