none
rsh to an ipv6 address

Question

• Hi ,

I am trying to rsh to a ipv6 enabled windows client. I am doing this from a unix machine.

Both end ipv6 address are pinging each other.

I am able to use ipv4 with no issue.
    rsh < windows ipv4 > hostname 
    it WORKS !!

but ,
    bash-3.00# rsh < windows ipv6 : fd20:8b1e:b255:40fa:bd1a:314f:abb4:48d9 > hostname
    fd20:8b1e:b255:40fa:bd1a:314f:abb4:48d9: Connection refused

I used netstat -ano and found that the ipv6 port is black and not showing as listening or established.

Can someone please help.

Thanks ,

Sujith John

• Moved by Michael Wharton, MVPMVP Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:23 PM Unix question - closet forum I could find (From:Project Server - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    • Changed type sujith john Friday, August 27, 2010 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:37 AM

Answers

• This forum is specific to the Linux Integration Services for Hyper-V. It appears that this query doesn't have anything to do with them.

I'd suggest posting in the general Windows Server forum.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:36 PM

All replies

• John,

This forum is for the Linux Integration Components for Hyper-V.

That said, what are you using to provide the rsh service on the Windows machine?  I am not aware of this being a built in component of Windows.  I would suspect that whatever it is does not support IPv6 listeners (as you stated netstat is not showing IPv6 listening.  Also include information on the version of Windows you are running and any firewall configs.

-matt

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Hi Matt ,

Thanks for the response.

i am using Cygwin  in this windows machine to accept rsh/ssh/telnet request from any unix machine.

After few trial and error - I was able to ssh to the windows client using ipv6 address. but rsh using the ipv6 address is still not working.

Please note [ I am trying to rsh to the windows using windows ipv6 address from a Unix machine ]

Am sure ssh and rsh uses different ports . Not sure how to check if they are open.

Do you think installing Windows Bind service would help, if i edit the named.conf file to allow ipv6 address .

Have you come across such a setup ( rsh to windows ipv6 address )

Thanks ,

Sujith JOhn

Friday, August 20, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Hello ,

Can someone help me in this please.

or should this request go to a different section.

Thanks ,

Sujith JOhn

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:30 AM
  • This forum is specific to the Linux Integration Services for Hyper-V. It appears that this query doesn't have anything to do with them.

I'd suggest posting in the general Windows Server forum.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:36 PM