none
Activation fails with 0x80072EFD error

Question

• Hi,

My longhorn beta says needs to activate windows online. I selected all the option, i tried to enter the product key and it will failed while trying to activate. Not sure what is the reason? i am using it in a VM and it is has connection to internet.

THis is the error message:

Code:0x80072EFD

Description: Unable to find a detailed error description

The facility code is : WIN32(0x07)

Facility error : 0x2EFD (12029L)

Any help is appreciated.

-Ram

Friday, June 30, 2006 11:53 PM

Answers

• This is a bug we're tracking with automatic detection of proxy server settings and Beta 2.

Thanks for the reports.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:33 PM

All replies

• Ditto.  I've got the same configuration and problem.  VM that fails with above message when attempting to activate.  Before this I had the following error code.  I got by that by following the instructions at:

http://blogs.microsoft.nl/tonykrijnen/archive/2006/06/19/1795.aspx

Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:59 AM
  • This is pretty lame but I solved the problem....

We use a script to configure our proxy server (autoprox/auto.pac) in the IE Internet connections setting.  This works when testing the internet connection using IE (as described in the previously mentioned post).  It does NOT work when activating.  I manually configured the proxy server (host and port) in the IE internet connections area and it activated on the first attempt.

Brandon

Thursday, July 06, 2006 2:14 PM
  • This is a bug we're tracking with automatic detection of proxy server settings and Beta 2.

Thanks for the reports.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:33 PM
  • hi Dave, is this issue been resolved yet? Can you point me to how it's fixed thanks
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Actually, I am trying to activate on a computer that doesn't have external internet connection. How is this done?
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:16 PM