none
Installing Windows 2012 Essentials to replace 180 day trial version of Windows Server 2012 Standard

Question

• Been using Windows 2012 Standard trial for about three months and have decided that all I really need is Essentials as I am a small business with three employees.

Question:  Can I downgrade to Windows Server 2012 Essentials from a trial version of Windows 2012 Standard?

There seems to be some debate in the forums for this ability to do this and in this case I don't own the key for the trial version.

I have purchased and have the key for the Essentials version.

Would be great if all I need to do is key in the number but................I'm guessing a full install will be necessary.

Thanks in advance.  Phil Charlotte, NC

Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:54 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As far as I know you cannot downgrade, only upgrade. You will need to reinstall the OS. If may be off littel consolatiojn to know that you can do it the other way around (upgrade). See the end of the linked article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

At any time after installing Windows Server 2012, you can run Setup to repair the installation (sometimes called “repair in place”) or, in certain cases, to convert to a different edition.

"You can run Setup to perform a “repair in place” on any edition of Windows Server 2012; the result will be the same edition you started with.

For Windows Server 2012 Standard, you can the system to Windows Server 2012 Datacenter as follows: From an elevated command prompt, determine the current edition name with the command DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition. Make note of the edition ID, an abbreviated form of the edition name. Then run DISM /online /Set-Edition:<edition ID> /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula, providing the edition ID and a retail product key. The server will restart twice.

For Windows Server 2012 Essentials, you can run Setup and convert it to Windows Server 2012 Standard by providing the appropriate retail license key."

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

If you have purchased standard license, then we could downgrade it to below version, but is you don't have a standard license, then we could not downgrade. Reinstall is the way we should go.

Purchased License      Downgraded version or edition      Bit rights that apply      Licensing rights  that apply
    Datacenter 2012        Datacenter 2008                          Datacenter 2008           Datacenter 2012
    Standard 2012           Enterprise 2008 R2                      Enterprise 2008 R2        Standard 2012
    Standard 2012           Standard 2008                            Standard 2008               Standard 2012
    Standard 2012           Essentials 2012                           Essentials 2012              Standard 2012

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

As far as I know you cannot downgrade, only upgrade. You will need to reinstall the OS. If may be off littel consolatiojn to know that you can do it the other way around (upgrade). See the end of the linked article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

At any time after installing Windows Server 2012, you can run Setup to repair the installation (sometimes called “repair in place”) or, in certain cases, to convert to a different edition.

"You can run Setup to perform a “repair in place” on any edition of Windows Server 2012; the result will be the same edition you started with.

For Windows Server 2012 Standard, you can the system to Windows Server 2012 Datacenter as follows: From an elevated command prompt, determine the current edition name with the command DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition. Make note of the edition ID, an abbreviated form of the edition name. Then run DISM /online /Set-Edition:<edition ID> /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula, providing the edition ID and a retail product key. The server will restart twice.

For Windows Server 2012 Essentials, you can run Setup and convert it to Windows Server 2012 Standard by providing the appropriate retail license key."

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:00 PM
  • I appreciate it.

Was affraid of that but wanted to check................so it's a compete backup and reinstall.

Phil Hunkler

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

If you have purchased standard license, then we could downgrade it to below version, but is you don't have a standard license, then we could not downgrade. Reinstall is the way we should go.

Purchased License      Downgraded version or edition      Bit rights that apply      Licensing rights  that apply
    Datacenter 2012        Datacenter 2008                          Datacenter 2008           Datacenter 2012
    Standard 2012           Enterprise 2008 R2                      Enterprise 2008 R2        Standard 2012
    Standard 2012           Standard 2008                            Standard 2008               Standard 2012
    Standard 2012           Essentials 2012                           Essentials 2012              Standard 2012

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:08 AM
  • i have an activation key for Server 2012 Standard, how can i replace 2012 Standard with 2012 Essentials, i am ready to do a clean re install.

Based on the information provided by Yan Li i should be able to downgrade, i have been searching forums on how to do this i cant find any information.

Can i just install the 2012 Essentials Trial version & activate it using 2012 Standard ?

Thanks in Advance.

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:53 PM