none
TCP loss under load?

General discussion

• Hi, i have a tower running windows server 2008, and it is a media/storage server.

When i am writing to the server, which has a 2TB external drive attached via USB, the server drops connection alltogeather. If i ping the server (ie ping 192.168.2.2) i receive a 100% success. When i am attempting to write to the shared storage, i get a 100% packet loss! and the transfer sticks on time remaining: Calculating.

This has never happened. I have replaced the switch but with very little experiance troubleshooting network failure im not sure where i can trace the packet loss or if its the server itself.

I have a NIC and a wireless card installed on the server, the NIC (192.168.2.2) and wifi (192.168.2.254) both loss connection. (unable to ping) until i cancel the file transfer, then the server, both addresses are reachable again!

Thanks!

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:52 AM

All replies

• Add a persistent route from your machine to the server bounding it to the hard wire NIC.
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:54 PM
  •  

Hi deanfourie,

Thanks for posting here.

So will system responses properly if we write to the shared folder where stored on its local storage ?

Try to disable one of active NIC on this server ( wireless NIC maybe )and set it single homed , after that please try to see if we can still reproduce the phenomenon.  

Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175767

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Tiger Li Monday, March 05, 2012 8:27 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 8:26 AM