none
RemoteFX USB redirection + Server 2012 Hyper-V host + Windows 7 Professional SP1 guest + RDP 8.0 + no GPU / vGPU

Question

• Hi,

I need some help determining if this should work or not.  The following have led me to believe that this should work, but it doesn't:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/10/09/remote-desktop-protocol-8-0-update-for-windows-7-sp1-enabling-a-great-wan-user-experience-for-windows-7-sp1-virtual-desktops.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/10/23/rdp-8-0-update-for-windows-7-sp1-released-to-web.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/remote-desktop-protocol-rdp/rdp-update-windows-7-sp1-144520

Unfortunately, none of these articles goes beyond saying "Windows 7 SP1".  No specific versions of Windows 7 SP1 are listed.

- I am connecting from a thin client (HP t5740e with RDP 8.0 installed).  I have a Server 2012 Hyper V host server.  I have a Windows 7 SP1 Professional VM with RDP 8.0 update, GPO policies are correctly set on the thin client and the guest.  RDP 8.0 protocol verified with the new connection info icon in the connection bar.

- If I connect to the server 2012 via RDP from the thin client, RemoteFX USB redirection works, and I get the little computer looking icon in the connection bar.

- I have a Windows 7 Ultimate N test VM running on the Server 2012 Hyper-V host, and again, RemoteFX USB redirection works.

- I cannot get the the RemoteFX USB redirection to work when connecting to the Windows 7 Professional SP1 VM running on the Server 2012 Hyper-v host.

I've been searching for days not to find a definitie answer to whether or not this will work given the restrictions stated in the title. Should it, or shouldn't it?

If Professional is not supported, why not?  Can someone point me to an officail Microsoft page specifically stating that Windows 7 SP1 Professional is not supported?

If it is, then what are the exact requirements for that Windows 7 Professional SP1 VM to allow the functionality (without a GPU...)

I've tried most other things I've read on the web (2GB RAM, adding Administrators to RemoteDesktopUsers group individually despite the fact that they are administrators, verifying that certain hotfixes for DTLS are installed (which Windows Update downloads automatically now, so a moot point...), specifically selecting LAN 10Mbps (or higher) for RDP connection client experience, etc, etc.

Why does it all matter?  Well, we've got clients with Windows 7 SP1, and redirecting a scanner via RemoteFX USB redirection would solve a really important problem.  When I read this back in October, I was all smiles, but now - well... If Professional is not supported, then I'm back to the drawing board.

Configuring RemoteFX USB redirection for Windows 7 Ultimate N VM was easy, as was the Server 2012 host.  If Windows 7 Pro is more difficult, so be it - just don't tell me it is not possible I beg you!!

Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I brought up licensing because usually the main reason people do not want to use Enterprise is they may already own Professional and/or they think they can save money by using Pro instead of Enterprise.  The key point is that Professional, Home, Embedded, etc. versions by themselves do not include the necessary licensing rights to connect to a VM running Windows 7.

Software Assurance (SA) or VDA must be purchased to have rights to allow the device to connect to a VM, and if you have SA or VDA, then you have the ability to run Enterprise in the VM.  Further, if you have the ability to run Enterprise then why would you run Professional and not have access to the additional features?

Microsoft intends for Enterprise to be used in a VDI environment.

Say for sake of argument that you do not care about licensing at all--you just want to get the new Dynamic USB redirection to work.  That feature requires that the target be running Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate, or Windows 8 Enterprise, or Server 2012.

The document AtwaterFS posted comes the closest to the official document you are looking for, here it is again:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/11/26/remotefx-features-for-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

For licensing I recommend you download and read the latest Product Use Rights (PUR) document:

http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx

It is common for Microsoft to make available different editions of its products, each with certain features disabled or not present.  For example, Windows 7 Home lacks features that are in Professional or Enterprise/Ultimate, and Professional lacks features that are in Enterprise/Ultimate.  Dynamic usb redirection is one of the features that they purposefully only enabled in Enterprise/Ultimate edition.

-TP

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to use USB redirection the VM needs to be Enterprise/Ultimate edition.  Each device that connects to a hosted VM needs to be properly licensed (Software Assurance or VDA, RDS CAL if using any RDS Role Services, etc.), and if it is properly licensed then you have the rights to run Enterprise edition.

Microsoft VDI licensing FAQ

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/4/114A45DD-A1F7-4910-81FD-6CAF401077D0/Microsoft%20VDI%20and%20VDA%20FAQ%20v3%200.pdf

-TP

Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking to avoid a licensing discussion at this time.  I'm not going to mark this as answered yet, since the document you provided does not disqualify Windows 7 Professional SP1 as a possible guests OS in a virtual environment.  If I read it correctly, a VDA license will allow this, and so the real question is the RemoteFX USB redirection.

Still looking for an offical Microsoft document that states (ideally...) that Windows 7 Professional SP1 will not support RemoteFX USB redirection when installed as a guest on a Server 2012 Hyper-V host server.  In addition, if that same document could specifically list which versions of Windows 7 SP1 are supported, and within which RemoteFX USB redirection will work.

You have listed Enterprise / Ultimate, but not in the docuemnt provided.  I have yet to see any Microsoft documentation listing Ultimate as being supported, though I have seen Enterprise listed.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:09 PM
  • This article lists Windows 7 Enterprise ( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/11/26/remotefx-features-for-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx ) but all the others I've come across just say Windows 7 SP1.  It's all very confusing.

I'm interested in the RemoteApp feature for RDS 2012 which supposedly supports RemoteFX acceleration, but there's not much detailed info on this that I can find, so I don't hold out much hope for it.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

I brought up licensing because usually the main reason people do not want to use Enterprise is they may already own Professional and/or they think they can save money by using Pro instead of Enterprise.  The key point is that Professional, Home, Embedded, etc. versions by themselves do not include the necessary licensing rights to connect to a VM running Windows 7.

Software Assurance (SA) or VDA must be purchased to have rights to allow the device to connect to a VM, and if you have SA or VDA, then you have the ability to run Enterprise in the VM.  Further, if you have the ability to run Enterprise then why would you run Professional and not have access to the additional features?

Microsoft intends for Enterprise to be used in a VDI environment.

Say for sake of argument that you do not care about licensing at all--you just want to get the new Dynamic USB redirection to work.  That feature requires that the target be running Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate, or Windows 8 Enterprise, or Server 2012.

The document AtwaterFS posted comes the closest to the official document you are looking for, here it is again:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/11/26/remotefx-features-for-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

For licensing I recommend you download and read the latest Product Use Rights (PUR) document:

http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx

It is common for Microsoft to make available different editions of its products, each with certain features disabled or not present.  For example, Windows 7 Home lacks features that are in Professional or Enterprise/Ultimate, and Professional lacks features that are in Enterprise/Ultimate.  Dynamic usb redirection is one of the features that they purposefully only enabled in Enterprise/Ultimate edition.

-TP

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate but it still does not work.

-AG

Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:45 AM
  • So far I have the following working.   Win7 SP1 Client, Win7 Sp1 Ent Host on Hyper-V 2012

Canon C2010 Scanner.

Client.  Windows 7 SP1 Pro.  (you must run gpedit.msc and enable the RemoteFX usb redirection enable and set for Administrators and Users) then

do a gpupdate /force on the client.

Reboot the Client..... then set inside the options of the RDP client under Local Resources (MORE),  choose the USB device you want to redirect.....if it does not show up something is not working.

The Host or VM must be at least Windows 7 Enterprise.  (Will NOT work on Pro Host VM)  Tried that did not work.

I actually did an in-place upgrade of my Windows 7 Pro SP1 VM to Windows 7 Enterprise SP1....can be done not supported by Microsoft.

You first must get the USB running on the local client...have the drivers there, and working, once that is done log onto the VM and you will have to load the drivers there as well. 

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:25 PM