none
Sound from virtual machine to hardware sound card???

Question

• I am considerring building a new machine that will allow me to run server 2008 core then I'll install a virtual 2008 to replace my current domain controller which runs server 2008.  Then I'd like to create a virtual XP or Windows 7 machine to serve music to the internet, but I also want the music locally.   Is it possible for the virtual machine to access the buit in sound card?

This server is just a machine in my basement that I use for educational purposes. 
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that you would like to setup a Virtual Machine as Music Server and have music locally. If I have misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.

First of all, there is no sound card in Hyper-V Virtual Machines. As bnborg explained, we can use RDP protocol to bring music to Host Machine. For your reference:

How I get the server I want: #2 Getting sound in Hyper-V
    http://blogs.technet.com/jamesone/archive/2008/06/16/how-i-get-the-server-i-want-2-getting-sound-in-hyper-v.aspx

I have installed Windows Media Encoder on Windows XP and Windows 7 Virtual Machines; however, there is error when trying to broadcast even if we can convert audio files. You may have to setup the Music server on Physical Machines.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:01 AM

All replies

• If you have an RDP session open to the virtual machine, and RDP is configured to provide sound support, it can work.

There are probably other ways, such using an internet connection on the host.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that you would like to setup a Virtual Machine as Music Server and have music locally. If I have misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.

First of all, there is no sound card in Hyper-V Virtual Machines. As bnborg explained, we can use RDP protocol to bring music to Host Machine. For your reference:

How I get the server I want: #2 Getting sound in Hyper-V
    http://blogs.technet.com/jamesone/archive/2008/06/16/how-i-get-the-server-i-want-2-getting-sound-in-hyper-v.aspx

I have installed Windows Media Encoder on Windows XP and Windows 7 Virtual Machines; however, there is error when trying to broadcast even if we can convert audio files. You may have to setup the Music server on Physical Machines.

Thanks.

Monday, June 22, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

Do you need any other assistance? If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

Thanks.

Friday, June 26, 2009 1:27 AM