none
How to remove update KB2720211 from WSUS Server?

Question

• I need to remove and maybe reinstall update KB2720211 to see if it is the sole cause of update problems that started right after installing the update.

What is the procedure to remove it?  I have uninstalled and reinstalled WSUS 3.0 SP2 from a Server 2008 SP2 server, but update KB2720211 hotfix is still installed and can't be removed via add/remove programs.

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The following thread seems to have the same issue with this thread.Pls try to use the following suggestion to see whether the issue can be resolved.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/thread/32b7bdac-be20-4d93-ac17-1d9fb3bbdfd8

Whether it is resolved or not, pls let me know.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Issue had already been escalated to Microsoft Product Support Tea. Presently there is no resolution except to reinstall WSUS

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:29 AM
  • The only option available it to uninstall the WSUS and re-install again. While installing the update, it reconfigures the WSUS database, so if you have re-used the database then it will show the previously installed version 2.7600.251

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:29 AM
  • The only option available it to uninstall the WSUS and re-install again. While installing the update, it reconfigures the WSUS database, so if you have re-used the database then it will show the previously installed version 2.7600.251

Uninstalling WSUS does not seem to remove the update. I had uninstalled WSUS and the KB 2720211 update was still listed in add/remove programs with no option to remove,

By the way, where is the WSUS database?  When I reinstalled WSUS I thought it said it found a database and was going to use it during the installation.  I was not given an option to say yes or no to this.  I wanted to make sure everything including the database was fresh and new in case there was a problem with the old database.

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:52 PM
  • I need to remove and maybe reinstall update KB2720211 to see if it is the sole cause of update problems that started right after installing the update.

What is the procedure to remove it?

Uninstall WSUS, trash the database, and reinstall WSUS3SP2 from the original installer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled WSUS 3.0 SP2 from a Server 2008 SP2 server, but update KB2720211 hotfix is still installed and can't be removed via add/remove programs.

Did you delete the database when you uninstalled WSUS? KB2720211 makes database changes, and updates the %ProgramFiles%\UpdateServices\selfupdate folder content.

Perhaps it would be better for you to describe the *problem* and we can help identify whether this is even a possible cause.

NOTE: The 0x800B0001 errors being reported by the WUAgent after applying KB2720211 are most likely caused because the WUAgent is not selfupdating, and the OLD (v7.4 and v7.5) WUAgents CANNOT download content from a WSUS server with KB2720211 applied. The fix is not to mess with the WSUS server, but rather to fix the WUAgent(s) that are throwing the error. First step, review the WindowsUpdate.log and determine if the WUAgent was updated to v7.6.

This could also be caused if KB2720211 did NOT successfully install on the WSUS server and the new WUAgent in the ~/selfupdate v-dir is NOT available for update, thus causing the clients to try to detect with the old WUAgent - which, as noted, will fail.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Hi there,

Can you try this one as an option: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734608

Do you use windows internal database or a Full SQL version?

• Proposed as answer by Hank888 Saturday, May 03, 2014 10:02 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 10:13 PM