After SP1 install IE 8 crashes frequently

Question

• Just installed SP1 64 bit and IE8 is crashing with increased propensity.  Happend on launch occasionaly and always when hitting a link on an open web page
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_InternetExplorer.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When the Internet Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take at the dump, maybe I can see the cause.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Hi Richard,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation?

In addition to Andre.Ziegler’s suggestion, I also would like to share you the tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer.

Does it work?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_InternetExplorer.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When the Internet Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take at the dump, maybe I can see the cause.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:38 PM
  •  Yes, please share the memory dump.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:57 AM
  • Hi Richard,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation?

In addition to Andre.Ziegler’s suggestion, I also would like to share you the tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer.

Does it work?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Here are several dumps created from IE8.  ftp.dwadsworth.us

Actually, it is a tab that crashes, and then trys to recover.  I saw this early on in Win 7, and must have found something to fix it.  SP1 brings back the problem.  Sorry, I can't recall the fix.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Start regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\iexplore.exe and create a new DWORD DumpType and set the value to 2 . When the IE crashes you now get a full dump. zip it and share this complete dump, please.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Dump file is located at ftp.dwadsworth.us  It is zipped using winzip.
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm that have you tried the suggestions the article, tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer mentions and what is the result?

Regards,

Thursday, August 05, 2010 2:42 AM
  • We have have each machine we have installed Sp1 beta has the issue. Three machines to date. Curious. Also machines are running different brands of anti virus. viper and Symantec enterprise editions.
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:42 AM
  • @Richard
    Have you created the dumps?

@dwadsworth

the debugger doesn't load the correct symbols for me. Wait for a MSFT employee to analyze them which has access to the correct symbols.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Plan to next week. Too busy right now
    Friday, August 06, 2010 12:30 AM
  • I am having very similar problems since Windows 7 SP1 Beta.  Went through similar steps as suggested above and I will upload my dump files as they occur.  Only difference is that I am on the x86 edition of Windows 7 Professional.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Just happened to me.  I am uploading the file to MEGAUPLOAD because it was too big for my SkyDrive (83MB rar'd and 412MB raw).  Here's the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MEK58RL9

Filename: iexplore.exe.12352.rar
    File description: IE Dump
    File size: 83.01 MB

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Simple questions: 

a) is this "Internet Explorer" or "Internet Explorer (64-bit)"?  I get a lot more site crashes in 64-bit IE8 than I do 32...

b) are you getting anything in the Event Viewer?

c) are any of these links Adobe-related?  There are some nasty problems right now for 64-bit Windows (in either flavor of IE8) and I've seen them for Adobe Acrobat, AIR, and Flash.

d) if you can, pick one of the sites that crashes and try it in a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox:  if it doesn't crash, see if you can find any errors in the page--they may have a common cause that will help you narrow down the problem in IE8 (this last one is the most work; I'd save it for a last resort)

One other thing:  I've sometimes had an incompatible site crash a tab...and then use Temporary Internet Files to try to recover the tab--if you haven't emptied those out, since it's crashing go ahead and do so in case the problem file has been cached locally.

I haven't tried SP1 yet...but thought I'd add that since it is BETA, be sure to send Error Reports to Microsoft--or if they give you an interface right in the OS like they did with the beta of Win 7, fill that in so they know.  I'm looking forward to SP1 and I hope this bug doesn't make it all the way to release.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

does your crash also happen when you remove your installed Symantec Norton 360?

André

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Simple questions: 

a) is this "Internet Explorer" or "Internet Explorer (64-bit)"?  I get a lot more site crashes in 64-bit IE8 than I do 32...

IE 8 32-bit

b) are you getting anything in the Event Viewer?

Yes:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          8/9/2010 8:02:37 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      HOMETOWN
    Description:
    Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7601.16562, time stamp: 0x4c089077
    Faulting module name: mshtml.dll, version: 8.0.7601.16562, time stamp: 0x4c08acbd
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0032f386
    Faulting process id: 0x3040
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb381f4ba836ab
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll
    Report Id: 955cf4a3-a412-11df-bf65-002556d701cf
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-10T00:02:37.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>14731</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>HOMETOWN</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>iexplore.exe</Data>
        <Data>8.0.7601.16562</Data>
        <Data>4c089077</Data>
        <Data>mshtml.dll</Data>
        <Data>8.0.7601.16562</Data>
        <Data>4c08acbd</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>0032f386</Data>
        <Data>3040</Data>
        <Data>01cb381f4ba836ab</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll</Data>
        <Data>955cf4a3-a412-11df-bf65-002556d701cf</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

c) are any of these links Adobe-related?  There are some nasty problems right now for 64-bit Windows (in either flavor of IE8) and I've seen them for Adobe Acrobat, AIR, and Flash.

Not sure, when I open IE, my home page is set to about 6 different web sites.  It happened when I first opened it and happens only on occasion.  These aren't strange web sites but definitely have some embedded Flash in them.  No Acrobat as far as I know.

d) if you can, pick one of the sites that crashes and try it in a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox:  if it doesn't crash, see if you can find any errors in the page--they may have a common cause that will help you narrow down the problem in IE8 (this last one is the most work; I'd save it for a last resort)

Unknown which one of these crashes it.  On occasion I've been able to isolate the site since I'll only have 1 site open, but there is no commonality between that site and the ones that open as my home page.

One other thing:  I've sometimes had an incompatible site crash a tab...and then use Temporary Internet Files to try to recover the tab--if you haven't emptied those out, since it's crashing go ahead and do so in case the problem file has been cached locally.

I've cleared out all my temp files multiple times.

I haven't tried SP1 yet...but thought I'd add that since it is BETA, be sure to send Error Reports to Microsoft--or if they give you an interface right in the OS like they did with the beta of Win 7, fill that in so they know.  I'm looking forward to SP1 and I hope this bug doesn't make it all the way to release.

Haven't seen a tool like this in the beta.  Maybe I just don't know where it is.

See answers above.  This definitely didn't happen prior to my SP1 upgrade.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi,

does your crash also happen when you remove your installed Symantec Norton 360?

André

Not sure, I can disable it for a day and find out.  Is this a commonality between myself and the other user, Richard Holtz?
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:02 PM
  • When opening the other users dump, the Debugger tells me warning about missing symbols and some data are not shown correctly.

Try to remove Norton.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Thanks for the very detailed answers!

This may be a very simple solution:  since you've emptied temp files and such, let's do this if you haven't already:

1) Make a list of the 6 web sites you use for your home page.

2) Reset your default page to just one and make it a blank page "about:blank"

3) Open IE and set your home page to just one of those pages.  Close IE and re-open it.

4) If it doesn't crash, then open IE and change your home page to the second home page on your list, close and re-open.

5) Continue through all six and if none of them crashes IE, then set your home page to two of the six, close, and re-open...then three...and so on.  See if it's the NUMBER of home pages IE is trying to load that cause it to blow up on you.

I hope this helps.  Definitely let us know here how it goes.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I don't have any answers, but I have the same problems and have had this issue with the tabs crashing on certain sites since July 28 or 29, 2010, when I got back from vacation.  I have done the cleanups - checkdisk, defrag, deleting the cookies, history, temp internet files.  I even uploaded a new browser - Firefox.  I am currently using Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP3 and that is about a technical as I can get.  Crashes occur even with the Firefox browser, so it may not me a microsoft IE explorer error alone.  All this technical language is a way over my head, but I am watching for the solution, if anyone knows if there is a legit problem and one is in the works.

To complicate things, I started getting Virus warnings through my antivirus, though those were quarantined.

What I haven't done yet is UNINSTALL IE8, although I did download a replacement version of IE8.  Has anyone yet resolved this problem and is there a simple solution and non technical type can do?

Thanks, Mrs. H

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Hey,

i have an problem with the internet explorer too. I've tried the solution but when i open a new tab sometimes it comes an error message and he wants to close itonly the tab)

(same error as mrs h.

everything else wit hinternet works fine

Reagrds Daniel

Friday, August 13, 2010 9:42 PM
  • Hey,

i have an problem with the internet explorer too. I've tried the solution but when i open a new tab sometimes it comes an error message and he wants to close itonly the tab)

(same error as mrs h.

Reagrds Daniel

Mrs H and Boeing744:  This thread is (was) specific to Windows 7 SP1 Beta.  If you're running another OS, this likely isn't the right place for your post.

Friday, August 13, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Hey,

(same error as mrs h.

Reagrds Daniel

Mrs H and Boeing744:  This thread is (was) specific to Windows 7 SP1 Beta.  If you're running another OS, this likely isn't the right place for your post.

hahaha you're funny guy

i use the SP1 Beta on Windows 7 64-bit and my problem wasn't before i install that so i want to now if this is a bug in the beta

Regards

Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Have you created the dumps?

Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hey,

(same error as mrs h.

Reagrds Daniel

hahaha you're funny guy

i use the SP1 Beta on Windows 7 64-bit and my problem wasn't before i install that so i want to now if this is a bug in the beta

Regards

I didn't realize you were using Win7 + SP1 Beta.  Interesting, so now there are 3 users who have noticed IE 8 crashes post their SP1 update.

Andre.Ziegler:  I removed Norton 360 and installed Panda Cloud AntiVirus the other day.  I just experienced the issue but apparently the logging has been disabled because I see my dump file didn't get created.  I will re-enable logging and try to capture it again.  More info to come...

Boeing744:  you should do the same.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:42 PM
  • See my response above.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:43 PM
  • Andre.Ziegler:  issue just occurred (this time as stated above, with Panda Cloud AntiVirus rather than Norton 360).  Here's a link to the new file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QGLYYY25

Filename: iexplore.exe.5216.rar
    File description: IE Dump 2
    File size: 82.32 MB

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:45 PM
  • The link doesn't work for me.

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:05 PM
  • We would like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well. The link above does not work, please try to share the memory dump at an alternate location for us to analyze them.

In case you are not able to share the memory dump, please send an email to [7sp1beta at microsoft dot com] and include ‘Windows 7 SP1’ in the subject. We will setup a file upload work space for you to upload the memory dumps.

Important:  Please note this is not a support email address, and sending this information does not guarantee that Microsoft will be contacting you for a follow up.  In e-mailing this address you are giving permission for Microsoft to contact you if it is determined that there is a need for further communication related to this issue.

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:12 PM
  • I'm confused - I'm glad you all are pursuing the dump files offline, but are the above posts that have been marked as answers actually the answering the question?

I've got a vested interest in the actual answer here - my shop is doing IE8 compatibility testing and trying to document known issues (including potential problems on SP1).

Thanks for any clarification.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Hi,

I'm happy to upload elsewhere.  I just tried the link myself and it does work - you need to enter the code that is displayed on the right-hand side, click download file, you'll see a premium download button, then a countdown below it.  Wait for the countdown to go down and it will show a "regular download".  This is what you click to get the file.  I realize it's kludge, but it's all I could think of for a file this big - skydrive wouldn't accept it.  In any event, I just sent you an email at that address.  Thanks!!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:25 AM
  • No resolution yet, this is specific to SP1 beta only.  I don't think any of the users on this thread have had issues with IE 8 on 7 without SP1 beta.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:26 AM
  • I got the dump. Looks like the other users. Looks like the detach of a flash object causes a NULL Pointer reference which crashes the IE8. Please update to the newest 10.1 flash version. Maybe it fixes it.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:22 PM
  • I checked my add-ons and it looks like I am on Adobe Shockwave Flash v10.1.63.54.  Did it bomb out on cnn.com?

Do the other users that have this problem also have the same version of Flash?  (check by going to Tools --> Internet Options --> Programs Tab --> Manage Add-ons --> Toolbars and Extensions, check for Adobe add-ons, and "Shockwave Flash Object" - the version should be displayed there)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:22 PM
  • As of this week, the latest version of Flash is 10.1.82.76 - try updating.
    Robin Walker
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Yep, I'm aware.  When I install 10.1.82.76 it still shows 10.1.63.54.  I think I'm on the latest unless someone can tell me that they see 10.1.82.76 in their add-ons.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:56 PM
  • When I install 10.1.82.76 it still shows 10.1.63.54.  I think I'm on the latest unless someone can tell me that they see 10.1.82.76 in their add-ons.

In my Manage Add-ons list, the version of Shockwave Flash shows as 10.1.82.76
    Robin Walker
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:58 PM
  • rdhw:  Thanks, thought it was me...I think Adobe's having trouble updating the 63.54 version to 82.76.  There are other complaints online about running the latest update and it not applying correctly.  I manually removed it using add/remove programs and installed it.  I even had trouble getting it from their typical http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ page and had to use a standalone installer here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

I will re-post if I continue to have issues with IE crashing.  Thanks for your help everyone!

• Proposed as answer by Sonic_Spike Friday, August 20, 2010 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:42 AM
  • Glad to hear we have a solution for someone!

My earlier post is to point out that if we don't have an answer, Arthur Li shouldn't mark his responses as the answer and arbitrarily make that the de facto answer for the question if the question still hasn't been answered.  His information was useful in troubleshooting...but don't we only Propose As Answer when we have a resolution?  Richard Holtz hasn't confirmed for us whether any of this information helped him.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Thank you all. The adobe flash was the issue which happened at same time as sp1
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Thank you all. The adobe flash was the issue which happened at same time as sp1
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Ok, so my idea with the Flash was correct. I'm glad to hear, that it fixed it :)

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:57 PM
  • in this case not. The dump only shows Flash involved ;)

Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:09 PM
  • I was having a problem with ie8 crashing on urlmon.dll.  I disabled google tooolbar a few minutes ago and the problem hasn't happened.  I'll update late today with additional results.
    • Proposed as answer by Bill Bowman Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:44 PM
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:44 PM