none
Windows 2003 sp2 Terminal servers Become Unresponsive

Question

• Hi Folks

I have a new client who has five terminal servers all running 2003 server standard sp2, with Office professional plus 2007 installed and updated to service pack 3 with all available updates installed.

Now in the last few months they've been having issues with each of the terminal servers becoming unresponsive at random times with no significant load on the server.

I found this hotfix which perfectly discribes how the servers are behaving;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826139

• If you are running any RDP sessions, you may see a blank blue screen.
    • A blank blue screen is displayed at the server console.
    • There is no response to keyboard or to mouse actions.
    • Remote PerfMon logs may stop logging data.
    • Computer Management stops responding when you try to remotely access Services or Device Manager for the server that is experiencing this problem.

The only issue is that this hotfix is for SP1 and all five servers are SP2, now if I tried to apply this hotfix would I just be making thins worse?

Thanks in advance,

Rikki

Rikki

• Edited by Rikki_2008 Monday, February 20, 2012 11:33 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 11:31 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the links I'll take a look at these today, no Citrix not installed on any of the servers.

Rikki

Quick update just before the weekend, I uninstalled kaspersky endpoint security 8 for windows last night from our test server and reinstalled MacAfee enterprise 8.7i

So far the test server has not crashed once today and I've noticed a drop in the physical memory usage of around 20% since Kaspersky was removed.

I'll check in on the server over the weekend.

Just a quick update incase anyone else comes across this, Kaspersky support are still saying that it's not their client at fault, however the test server with Macafee is still up after nearly three weeks.

Two other TS servers have had Kaspersky removed and Macafee installed and have not crashed since, we're in the process of advising our client to remove it for all the other terminal servers.

Thanks for all the advise posted by VA it really helped resolve this issue.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:04 AM

All replies

•  Recommended Hotfixes for 2003 Post-SP2 Terminal Services:

979522 A Windows Server 2003-based terminal server stops responding after many users log on to it and log off from it

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;979522

956438  A Windows Server 2003-based or Windows Server 2008-based terminal server stops accepting new connections, and existing connections stop responding

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;956438

942610  The color depth is unexpectedly changed to 8-bit when a high screen-resolution setting is used in a terminal-server session that is connected to a Windows Server 2003-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;942610

961974  Stop error when you log off from a Terminal Services session on a terminal server that is running Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Windows Server 2003 SP2: "Stop 0x000000ba"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;961974

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply VA

I installed 979522 last night on one of the terminal servers that we're using as a testbed, so it's nice to know I was on the right track.

I also updated the nic drivers as they we're well out of date.

I'll install 956438 tonight once everyone has logged out as it sounds like exactly like symptoms they've been having.

Would you install the two other hotfixes even though the terminal servers are not exhibiting the issues described in the articles?

Thanks again for your help :)

R.

Rikki

• Edited by Rikki_2008 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Those are just the latest binaries available. I wouldn't force them on the system if you don't feel like you need them.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Thanks Va,

My test server has "hung" twice today so I'll be applying 956438 soon as I can kick the users off it.

Thanks.

Rikki

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:38 PM
  • A quick update, I installed 956438 last night and I've been monitoring the test server using process explorer.

One thing I've noticed is that in the IO monitor the csrss.exe usage has gone from a nearly constant 50-60 percent yesterday to zero after the hotfix was applied.

This is with ten users actively running on the server.

Let's hope this is a good sign! :)

Rikki

• Edited by Rikki_2008 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:46 AM
  • AGHHHH the test server hung again!!! Of course it hung on the one time I was away from my desk out to get my lunch!

Exactly the same symtoms as before users applications wil crash and they logout but when they try to log back in all the get is a blue background.

You don't get the loading your profile or applying your settings just a blue background the color of the desktop back and that's it.

Eventually the connection times out, and I have to reset the server before anyone can log back in.

I'm going to install the last two hot fixes you recomended tonight, fingers crossed they do the trick.

The most annoying thing about this problem is that there are no errors in the eventlogs at all, is there anything else you recommend I try?

Rikki

• Edited by Rikki_2008 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:31 PM
  • You're looking at doing some more in-depth debugging on the server to find out whats hanging it up.

When it gets to this state, does logging into the console behave the same?

(And by Reset - you mean like doing a power off/reboot?)

You need to collect Perfmon and Xperf data (or potentially a dump file using adplus)- assuming one is there, they should help identify some kind of a resource issue or a deadlock. You probably want to open up a ticket with Microsoft support and give them a crack at the data.

Some helpful links:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/09/25/troubleshooting-server-hangs-part-one.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/05/06/troubleshooting-server-hangs-part-two.aspx

Xperf is generally more for CPU and Disk utilization - but I'll include info about it since it could possibly be an issue for you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pigscanfly/archive/2008/02/16/using-xperf-to-take-a-trace.aspx

There's no Citrix involved on any of these servers is there?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Hi VA

Yes when I login to the console I get a blank bluescreen just like the rest of the users when the server has hung.

Sorry when I said reset I mean I pushed the reset button the front of the server.  I've not been able to gracefully shutdown the server as I can't login to the console.

Could you point me in the direction of what perfmon data I should be collecting and what xperf is?

Thanks again for all your help :o)

Rikki

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the links I'll take a look at these today, no Citrix not installed on any of the servers.

Rikki

Quick update just before the weekend, I uninstalled kaspersky endpoint security 8 for windows last night from our test server and reinstalled MacAfee enterprise 8.7i

So far the test server has not crashed once today and I've noticed a drop in the physical memory usage of around 20% since Kaspersky was removed.

I'll check in on the server over the weekend.

Just a quick update incase anyone else comes across this, Kaspersky support are still saying that it's not their client at fault, however the test server with Macafee is still up after nearly three weeks.

Two other TS servers have had Kaspersky removed and Macafee installed and have not crashed since, we're in the process of advising our client to remove it for all the other terminal servers.

Thanks for all the advise posted by VA it really helped resolve this issue.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:04 AM