none
SCSI device not recongnized in the VM guest

Question

• Hi all,

I have a HP SC Xe Host Bus Adapter (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3191201&prodTypeId=329290&objectID=c00777216) that is recongnized by the host OS (WS 2008 R2) but I can't find this device when trying to add a new hardware in the Virtual machine (WS 2003 R2)

About this device :

• PCIe
    • 320 MB/s
    • Ultra320
    • Wide Ultra3 SCSI (Ultra160)

This HBA is ideal for HP tape customers needing to attach Ultra320 tape backup devices on servers using the PCI-Express interface, and provides support for Ultra320 SCSI, Wide Ultra3 SCSI, and Wide Ultra2 SCSI protocols.

So I'm i real need to use it with my virtual machines, Thanks for any idea

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi!

Unfortunately, you can not pass through devices to virtual machines in Hyper-V.

You either need to dedicate a physical machine for tape backups, or perform host level backups of the virtual machines from the Hyper-V server directly.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi!

You either need to dedicate a physical machine for tape backups, or perform host level backups of the virtual machines from the Hyper-V server directly.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

In Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V, you can’t expose PCI-express interface to the virtual machine directly.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Hi all,

I have a HP SC Xe Host Bus Adapter (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3191201&prodTypeId=329290&objectID=c00777216) that is recongnized by the host OS (WS 2008 R2) but I can't find this device when trying to add a new hardware in the Virtual machine (WS 2003 R2)

About this device :

• PCIe
    • 320 MB/s
    • Ultra320
    • Wide Ultra3 SCSI (Ultra160)

This HBA is ideal for HP tape customers needing to attach Ultra320 tape backup devices on servers using the PCI-Express interface, and provides support for Ultra320 SCSI, Wide Ultra3 SCSI, and Wide Ultra2 SCSI protocols.

So I'm i real need to use it with my virtual machines, Thanks for any idea

From what I see you don't need raw HOST BUS ADAPTER access rather you need raw DEVICE access... Right? If yes and your device of interest is tape all you need to do is install iSCSI target software with SCSI pass-through support on host side and use iSCSI initiator inside guest VM to access that target and your tape device re-mapped inside guest VM. You may wish to use free StarWind Tape Redirector as from what I see it does exactly what you want. Free of charge. Hope this helped :)

-nismo

P.S. There may be other Windows-based targets supporting raw device access I may be not aware of so you may Google a bit.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Hi!

I hope I did not take too much mushrooms so I've started seeing things :) Here's a screenshot of what you say is impossible. Hope you see what I see :)

-nismo

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Hi VR38DETT,

Hyper-V doesn’t support to expose an expose PCI-express device into the virtual machine directly, except a hard drive. According to the description, it seems that you were using some other applications to perform a redirection.

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Hi all & Sorry for the delay,

So, We can't pass through PCI devices to the virtuel machine. Are there any future updates or features from Microsoft to make this possible ??

Cause I saw that this is possible with other virtualization solution.

For VR38DETT,

I didn't find the way you take to have this work, I don't want to purchase additionnal software solution, if you have a tutorial I will be pleased with that.

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

In Windows Server 8 Beta, you can create virtual fiber channel adapter for virtual machines running on Hyper-V. However, at this moment, it is not support to expose a tape to the virtual machine directly, even if in Windows Server 8.

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hi all & Sorry for the delay,

So, We can't pass through PCI devices to the virtuel machine. Are there any future updates or features from Microsoft to make this possible ??

Cause I saw that this is possible with other virtualization solution.

For VR38DETT,

I didn't find the way you take to have this work, I don't want to purchase additionnal software solution, if you have a tutorial I will be pleased with that.

Thanks,

Botton line... There are THREE ways for you to go ATM:

1) Use existing Hyper-V, existing hardware and free StarWind Tape Redirector to throw in tape drive as an iSCSI device inside your VM. For free. NOW. You need to install freeware StarWind Tape Redirector on your host with tape drive attached to and export your tape drive (tape object itself and maybe a loader arm object if you have autoloader). Drop a message to sales@starwindsoftware.com saying you want Tape Redirector as it should be released this or next week (so beta program is closed and no public download available yet). 

2) Replace Hyper-V with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and your ancient PCI controller with more recent PCIe version and use SR-IOV (Single Root I/O Virtualization). Doing this you can throw in directly controller hardware inside guest VM. RHE is not free and new controller is not cheap either... But you can also do it now. PROBABLY.

3) Wait for Microsoft to start supporting SR-IOV one day. Some people told other people we'll see it in Windows 8.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

-nismo

• Edited by VR38DETTMVP Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:55 PM Damn! Windows 8 of course and not Windows 9 :))))
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:22 PM