none
Re-indexing Windows Internal Database problem...

Question

• Hi all;

I want re-index my Windows Internal Database, but when I execute the following command, the following error message appears. How can I overcome the problem?

E:\>sqlcmd -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query –i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql
    Sqlcmd: ':\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql': Unexpected argument. Enter '-?' for help.

E:\>

Thanks.
    • Edited by R.Alikhani Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:42 AM

Answers

• The problem is... as indicated by the error... 

Sqlcmd:
         ':\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql':

Unexpected argument. Enter '-?' for help.

simply an unexpected argument in the command string.

sqlcmd -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query –i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql

As documented in Appendix I of the WSUS Operations Guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708594.aspx

The syntax is:
    sqlcmd -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query –i <scriptLocation>\WsusDBMaintenance.sql

which is what you appear to have...

but yet SQLCMD is reporting the argument ':\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql' as an unexpected argument.

Note that the 'np' was ignored on the start of the value of the -S parameter, as was the -i. Essentially, at this point, SQLCMD has no argument prefix, so doesn't know what to do with the rest of the line. But the fact that the np is not included in the error tells me that this part : sqlcmd -S np made perfect sense to the parser, but it was the next character encountered after the 'np' that threw it the curve. My guess is that there's an unprintable character (or possibly a space) buried between the 'np' and the rest of the argument.

My first suggestion would be to retype the command. It is syntactically correct as printed in the WSUS Operations Guide Appendix I.

On the off chance that you copied the text from the webpage (rather than using the Copy Code hyperlink), I would suggest using the Copy Code link provided in the code block window - as copying direct from the webpage may well have introduced an unwanted character in the text string.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    • Marked as answer by R.Alikhani Friday, November 07, 2008 1:08 PM
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For the re-indexing issue, I'd like to use the Microsoft public technet forum for SQL which would be the most relevant forum for your question.

TechNet Forums » SQL Server

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=93&SiteID=17
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:23 AM
  • The problem is... as indicated by the error... 

Sqlcmd:
         ':\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql':

Unexpected argument. Enter '-?' for help.

simply an unexpected argument in the command string.

sqlcmd -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query –i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql

As documented in Appendix I of the WSUS Operations Guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708594.aspx

The syntax is:
    sqlcmd -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query –i <scriptLocation>\WsusDBMaintenance.sql

which is what you appear to have...

but yet SQLCMD is reporting the argument ':\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -i e:\WsusDBMaintenance.sql' as an unexpected argument.

Note that the 'np' was ignored on the start of the value of the -S parameter, as was the -i. Essentially, at this point, SQLCMD has no argument prefix, so doesn't know what to do with the rest of the line. But the fact that the np is not included in the error tells me that this part : sqlcmd -S np made perfect sense to the parser, but it was the next character encountered after the 'np' that threw it the curve. My guess is that there's an unprintable character (or possibly a space) buried between the 'np' and the rest of the argument.

My first suggestion would be to retype the command. It is syntactically correct as printed in the WSUS Operations Guide Appendix I.

On the off chance that you copied the text from the webpage (rather than using the Copy Code hyperlink), I would suggest using the Copy Code link provided in the code block window - as copying direct from the webpage may well have introduced an unwanted character in the text string.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    • Marked as answer by R.Alikhani Friday, November 07, 2008 1:08 PM
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Yes, your are right. Re-typing the command solved my problem.
    Friday, November 07, 2008 1:08 PM
  • No that's no the reason. I have faced myself this issue and after 2 weeks of research I found the issue. The problem is the SQLCMD is not capable to distinguish the special character "-" so what you have to do is use the following command:

--First go to the SQLCMD.exe path

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn

--Then run the following command:

SQLCMD.EXE -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query /i G:\SQL_Backup\scripts\backupDB.sql

As you can see I'm using the "/i" instead "-i". I have created an automated process to run a backup script daily, hope it helps!

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:40 PM